Author Topic: Exhaust exiting hood on door slammer?  (Read 13972 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Exhaust exiting hood on door slammer?
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »
Can anyone either post a picture or give me a car number of a non-time only door slammer that has the exhaust exiting the hood?  A proposed rule change suggests that there is a trend of cars showing up with the exhaust coming out the hood.  I've been to all SCTA events this year (minus the Mile event) and last year and the year before that and I can only think of one car that has the exhaust exiting the "hood" area but there must be multiple if this is a trend.  One interesting thing though is that the Altered rules say that the exhaust can exit anywhere on the body except the roof - so anywhere on the body would include the hood, right? 

Anyways, maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention to notice all the door slammers with hood exiting exhausts.  I'm hoping you guys can show me some. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Exhaust exiting hood on door slammer?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 04:48:21 PM »
"...the exhaust coming out the hood."

That sounds like a recipe for carbon monoxide poisoning. Why would anyone do that?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 05:27:24 PM »
Saying just "exhaust coming out the hood" leaves a lot to interpret/imagine I guess.  How about this as an example: a Comp Coupe or Mod Sports car with single exhaust exiting the back of a hood scoop that's pointed away from the driver's compartment thus preventing any CO poisoning.  Keep in mind that streamlining is allowed up to and including the cowl on this type of car.  The attached image shows an example of what I'm trying to describe (and is the one car I can think of that has "hood exiting exhaust").  

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 07:32:11 PM »
Geez - I don't want to beat up on the owner, but like Neil, I question the wisdom.

Race cars are loud enough without having to direct the audio pulses directly to ear level - even on the other side of the windshield.

Motor or turbo grenades, exhaust breaks the windshield - crazier things have happened.

Good luck wording this one without creating more confusion.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:36:50 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jdincau

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:38:04 PM »
Nathan,
     Why not PM the originator of the change request?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
The one that comes to mind is a black turbocharged Buick. I can't remember the number but he has been running for a couple years and I have a picture of him at speed and you can clearly see the hot exhaust plume going up and over the top of the car. At least at speed the exhaust goes up more or less parallel with the windshield and does not blow back into the cowl area.

I will try to find the shot when I get home this weekend.

gkabbt

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 08:32:02 PM »
The Buick you are referring is the old number 80 C/BFALT and belonged to Villa and Courtney Hizer from Rome, GA.
It currently resides in NC with Paul Powell who was the engine builder for Courtney for quite a few years.
I just saw this car in the trailer last weekend and the right side of the windshield does have distortions from the exhaust out of the hood.

Here is a pic of Villa, Courtney and the Buick:

Pic of the exhaust:

After Courtney's passing, the team continued in his honor and is now called Hizer Racing Spirit.
They campaign the new number 80 Bonneville record holding B/BGMS Berkley.

Hope this helps,
Gregg
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 09:04:32 PM by gkabbt »

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 08:50:05 AM »
Plus, Factor in the wacky effect on aero.
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
Nathan,
     Why not PM the originator of the change request?

Seems like things have been slow here lately.  Thought I'd get some discussion going.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »
It seems to me that it would be as good a place as any to exit the front of the car.  I would guess better than out the side where the exhaust plume would be like dragging a 4x4 through the air.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 11:23:04 PM »
Any engine problem resulting in oil, water, smoke, or all of these coming out of the pipe can cause the driver to not see where they are going.  This is especially true if they go sideways and the exhaust plume crosses the windshield.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2015, 11:58:56 PM »
Actually he will be the first one to know he has a problem... and if it is that bad, you just hold the wheel straight and slow to a stop.... not a lot to run into... of course people still hit the only stuff out there every quarter mile.

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 01:59:14 PM »
A face full of fire will cause the driver to question the melting point of Lexan.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 03:22:43 PM »
All good safety points but none of which touch on the reason for the rule change: to keep cars looking like cars and not like diesel trucks.  There's no mention of exhaust exiting restrictions in CC or MS in the rule book but there are for ALT and GC (allowed in ALT, not allowed in GC).  Seems like instead of a blanket "not allowed" rule for all door slammers, it'd make more sense to establish some guidelines for the classes that don't specifically state one way or the other.  Or, just assume that since there's no mention in CC or MS that there's no restriction.

Also, FWIW, I tuned the red Z that I posted pics of.  With a nice long standing flame after the end of a WOT dyno pull, there's no sign of any heat damage to the car whatsoever.  You guys act like it's pointed at the drivers face or something.  The exhaust is directed up and over the top of the car. 

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 08:21:54 PM »
For aero?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth