Author Topic: STS show signs  (Read 55354 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: STS show signs
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2015, 04:37:36 PM »
Thanks for your back-to-the-world comment, Glen.  I appreciate the feelings and emotions we've all got about the salt (and dang near everything else, of course), and it's too danged easy for those feelings rise to the top and be expressed in a manner that can easily be misinterpreted.  Please note, Whiz and all -- I'm not taking a position to scold anyone nor try to steer the conversation, but rather I'm applauding glen's effort to keep us focused on the salt - not what might be considered a personal attack.

Let's all play nicely together.  Thanks. :-)
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2015, 04:49:17 PM »
How about
WAS BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?
TOO BAD... STRIP MINING HAS ALREADY SCRATCHED IT OFF!

Stainless that's certainly an easy enough sign to duplicate.  :-D
    BUT The Jalopy Rama show is always an uplifting event I would rather inform but not devastate the attendees. So it looks like no sign about the salt situation will be included in my display oh well I tried.  :-(
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
RR is right. That sign would imply that the salt is already gone, and it is of no use to try to do something. The sign should encourage people to do something before it becomes to late. 

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »
FWIW, Louise, climb down off of your high horse and quit trying to set yourself up as a martyr. If you actually want to accomplish something, then stop with the self aggrandizing bull Subaru and accept some of the help that has been offered.  If on the other hand you are actually gaming the issue for personal or professional gain, they you're digging yourself a huge hole with your actions.

Attacking everyone who offers help, or at least dismissing the offers as some sort of insult to you, is not productive.

This is not about you, Louise, it's about the our shared National Treasure. No one has attacked you yet, only offered help. However, you seem to see every offer of help as a personal affront. STOP IT.

whizbang I don't think this kind of remark is called for, if you have a problem with Louis deal with her off line.
nevermind.   You all have fun in the sandbox.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:40:05 PM by WhizzbangK.C. »
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »
My suggestion would be keep the sign simple with a simple message...

Use your car or someone else's or just a picture of the salt flats.

Then have a stack of flyers next to the sign.  The flyers could have more detail and provide information that would help them in contacting someone at the government level as has been provided on this site already,

Sumner
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 11:44:33 PM by Sumner »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2015, 09:07:12 PM »
If I could use that image and change the last caption I can post it on Linkedin
if you guys think it would help?. :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »
FWIW, Louise, climb down off of your high horse and quit trying to set yourself up as a martyr. If you actually want to accomplish something, then stop with the self aggrandizing bull Subaru and accept some of the help that has been offered.  If on the other hand you are actually gaming the issue for personal or professional gain, they you're digging yourself a huge hole with your actions.

Attacking everyone who offers help, or at least dismissing the offers as some sort of insult to you, is not productive.

This is not about you, Louise, it's about the our shared National Treasure. No one has attacked you yet, only offered help. However, you seem to see every offer of help as a personal affront. STOP IT.

Ditto JL222

Offline tauruck

« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »
I like WhizzbangK.C.

He tells it like it is. Honest and direct. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2015, 12:31:47 AM »
My suggestion would be keep the sign simple with a simple message...

Use your car or someone else's or just a picture of the salt flats.

Then have a stack of flyers next to the sign.  The flyers could have more detail and provide information that would help them in contacting someone at the government level as has been provided on this site already,

Sumner

EXACTLY!   :cheers:

Sumner, that's terrific and it's what I was seeking in the first place.  Your car would be perfect because it still looks like a car (well, kinda'  :roll:).  A motorcycle that still appears to be a motorcycle would be good too. ( I think it's a little hard for local show attendees to relate to pics of the Speed Demon and Ack Attack.  They're too far "out there".)  The wording is great and gets people interested.  I'd add just a bit more - "Sadly, we are losing the world famous Bonneville Salt Flats race courses."  The rest is perfect.

This is great.  This is progress.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline RichFox

« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »
If possible I would hope a copy of the Car and Driver story could be included with the hand out. The idea that 43 years ago, the operator of the salt works was open about the plan being eventual removal of all the salt they could get at, shows that what is happening now is not weather related. The loss of salt works jobs in Wendover is inevitable. The loss of racer dollars is not.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2015, 11:16:05 AM »
... The loss of salt works jobs in Wendover is inevitable. The loss of racer dollars is not....

That is a great point and one that the local community should really take into consideration.  Short term gains might just be that in the long run if there is no salt for the racers to come back to and they loose out on income for years to come.

I agree with you that the article with the plant employee's prediction of no more Bonneville Salt Flats at some point due to mining is most damaging to the BLM's stance that mining hasn't hurt the salt,

Sumner
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:04:38 PM by Sumner »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
Tom - and others:  As I was reading your post about making up a sign of your own - with the before and after photos -- maybe I could do this for us.

How 'bout if I take the chosen/approved design for the "poster" and use it as a basis for the art on t-shirts?  We'd reference lr.com, sure, but most of the design could be information on saving the salt/restoring the salt/figuring out what the heck went wrong to give us today's conditions and so on.    If we do it simply enough (that I don't have to worry about color balance and stuff like that) we could make them fro pretty inexpensive enough that the website could sell them and make a buck or two on them -- but still offer them at a cost that'd allow you to buy some for whenever you go to a show, a race, an event, and so on.  A batch of frustrated racers wearing the same shirt(s) would sure enough attract attention to our plight.

Whaddaya tink?

Jon,

Sounds good to me. You can count me in on buying a TeeShirt, just make sure it is a xxl.  :-)

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2015, 02:29:29 PM »
I had my car on display at the Tucson Classics Car Show yesterday and had an opportunity to tell a number of people about the deteriorating salt conditions. I'm really sorry I didn't see that poster design in time to make a stack of copies for handouts. It looks simple & to the point- good job!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline will6er

« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »
I recently attended the Colorado Mile and The Race of Gentlemen. I made a point of wearing one of my "Save the Salt" t-shirts almost every day. I had plenty of opportunities to share about the problem. It would be nice to have fliers or a tri-fold to pass out with more information. That way people might remember longer. A poster sized sign would also be helpful. I would be willing to pay for the materials - a small investment compared to my car.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2015, 12:02:50 PM »
The Texas Mile will be running this coming weekend; It would be nice to have something to bring with me to that event.

If something is ready, in time, I'll print it out myself and bring it with me. I'm sure there are others that will do the same.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.