Author Topic: STS show signs  (Read 55339 times)

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: STS show signs
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »
Patience is a virtue rarely exhibited by people who demand freebies.

Anyone wishing to PAY for the design services for a sign please send me a PM

DID I MISS SOMETHING I THOUGHT THE IDEA WAS FOR ALL OF US TO HELP> SO I SHOULD REQUEST COMPENSATION FOR THE 600 MILES TO BRING MY LSR CAR TO THE EVENT PLUS GET COMPENSATON FOR LODGING AND EVERYTHING ELSE> NOW I GET IT!  Well I'm going to attend the event like planed I will spread the word best I can that's the least I can and no I wont ask for compensation.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 03:46:22 PM »
Patience is a virtue rarely exhibited by people who demand freebies.

"Many hands make for light work."

P.F. Chang

I think we're offering a freebie . . .  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »
Lets all remember, LAN may not be every thing you think she should be. But she speaks the language of bureaucrats, lawyers, and PR people. People who you and I may not really want to be involved with. And she is on our side. So be glad for what you have. I think. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 04:26:36 PM »
Lets all remember, LAN may not be every thing you think she should be. But she speaks the language of bureaucrats, lawyers, and PR people. People who you and I may not really want to be involved with. And she is on our side. So be glad for what you have. I think. 

Precisely - The alliance would be quicker on its feet, and Louise's talents, better utilized by taking the small stuff off of her plate.

I believe not seeking help is what bogged down STS in the first place.  If that pattern repeats, the results will be the same.

Offline dw230

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2015, 07:57:30 PM »
My father once told me ... "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP digging."

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »
Louise, I think what you have is a bunch of willing vounteers ready and able to help. Why don't you ask for volunteers to do the job and then pick maybe three and give them each the relevant materials. Upon completion they could each submit their work and you either pick the best or combine the features of those submitted and broadcast the result. This way you wouldn't be carrying all the load and you could use your time for what you do best.

Pete

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »
All you would need to do is post some basic criteria and concepts for the sign and let folks offer layouts that meet those guide lines

How big do you want the signs to be? (how far away should an average viewer with 20/15 vision be able to read the sign)

A short sentence or two giving the intended message the sign should convey.

Perhaps color choices, ie (white poster board black printing at least 2" high for primary text)

black and white only?
Three colors, white background black printing with one other high contrast color for key points?

Do you want an image or line art and text only?

STS needs to outline a key concept the sign should convey above all other considerations such as:
Bonneville is in danger!
A vanishing resource is rapidly being destroyed!
Lack of action is destroying a national treasure!
Do you want your grand children to be able to see the salt flats?

Then let creative minds go to work.
Choose the best 1 - 3 offers and say these are the chosen messages use and distribute as you wish with proper credit to STS
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:36:14 PM by hotrod »

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 10:08:19 PM »
FWIW, Louise, climb down off of your high horse and quit trying to set yourself up as a martyr. If you actually want to accomplish something, then stop with the self aggrandizing bull shit and accept some of the help that has been offered.  If on the other hand you are actually gaming the issue for personal or professional gain, they you're digging yourself a huge hole with your actions.

Attacking everyone who offers help, or at least dismissing the offers as some sort of insult to you, is not productive.

This is not about you, Louise, it's about the our shared National Treasure. No one has attacked you yet, only offered help. However, you seem to see every offer of help as a personal affront. STOP IT.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2015, 07:22:11 AM »
Well, this has certainly gotten out of control.
Lets go back to my original post..............

I'm going to ask the STS folks for some input on this but thought you guys might want to get in on the wording.
Please help out.

I didn't ask Louise to do this.  I asked for suggestions for the wording of a sign.  I haven't seen any.

I believe Louise has her priorities correct.  At the average Podunk car/bike show, probably half the people have never heard of Bonneville and 95% of the rest don't give a $hit.  SEMA is a whole different ballgame.  125,000 attendees who make their living from all things automotive & motorcycle.   Hundreds of businesses who want to sell stuff to salt flats racers.  Hundreds of CEOs who have lunch with congressmen.  It's important that STS and the UC make a big impression.

I think we'll have a standardized sign soon.
In the meantime I'll just make my own.

Now, about those suggestions.............

« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 07:26:32 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
How about
WAS BONNEVILLE SPEEDWEEK ON YOUR BUCKET LIST?
TOO BAD... STRIP MINING HAS ALREADY SCRATCHED IT OFF!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline desotoman

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2015, 02:56:20 PM »
If I made my own sign for a car show and really wanted to get the point across, I would show a picture of my car on the salt when it was nice and white and in pristine shape and put the year the picture was taken.

Then below that picture I would put a picture of my car sunk up to its axles in mud with some speckles of salt around it and have today's date.

Below that I would have something that would state we need help in restoring the Bonneville Salt Flats. In essence you would be showing a Before with a year date, and Today with a year date. To me that would be very convincing to anyone that would walk by, and I am sure would start a conversation on what is going on at Bonneville. Then maybe have a handout that would give all the contact email addresses and phone numbers of the people who can make a difference and ask the people walking by to help us save a national treasure.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »
Tom - and others:  As I was reading your post about making up a sign of your own - with the before and after photos -- maybe I could do this for us.

How 'bout if I take the chosen/approved design for the "poster" and use it as a basis for the art on t-shirts?  We'd reference lr.com, sure, but most of the design could be information on saving the salt/restoring the salt/figuring out what the heck went wrong to give us today's conditions and so on.    If we do it simply enough (that I don't have to worry about color balance and stuff like that) we could make them fro pretty inexpensive enough that the website could sell them and make a buck or two on them -- but still offer them at a cost that'd allow you to buy some for whenever you go to a show, a race, an event, and so on.  A batch of frustrated racers wearing the same shirt(s) would sure enough attract attention to our plight.

Whaddaya tink?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »
Great idea SSS :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2015, 04:19:37 PM »
FWIW, Louise, climb down off of your high horse and quit trying to set yourself up as a martyr. If you actually want to accomplish something, then stop with the self aggrandizing bull Subaru and accept some of the help that has been offered.  If on the other hand you are actually gaming the issue for personal or professional gain, they you're digging yourself a huge hole with your actions.

Attacking everyone who offers help, or at least dismissing the offers as some sort of insult to you, is not productive.

This is not about you, Louise, it's about the our shared National Treasure. No one has attacked you yet, only offered help. However, you seem to see every offer of help as a personal affront. STOP IT.

whizbang I don't think this kind of remark is called for, if you have a problem with Louis deal with her off line.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
Tom - and others:  As I was reading your post about making up a sign of your own - with the before and after photos -- maybe I could do this for us.

How 'bout if I take the chosen/approved design for the "poster" and use it as a basis for the art on t-shirts?  We'd reference lr.com, sure, but most of the design could be information on saving the salt/restoring the salt/figuring out what the heck went wrong to give us today's conditions and so on.    If we do it simply enough (that I don't have to worry about color balance and stuff like that) we could make them fro pretty inexpensive enough that the website could sell them and make a buck or two on them -- but still offer them at a cost that'd allow you to buy some for whenever you go to a show, a race, an event, and so on.  A batch of frustrated racers wearing the same shirt(s) would sure enough attract attention to our plight.

Whaddaya tink?
And Jon, as in ANY form of PR, it's critical to keep the message consistent.  

To anyone thinking about this, I'd suggest cluing in STS, and at least getting a verbal okay before heading off to the print shop.

The best lesson I ever learned about branding came out of Disney - "Don't Mess with the Mouse".
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:27:19 PM by Milwaukee Midget »