Author Topic: STS show signs  (Read 55331 times)

Offline sofadriver

STS show signs
« on: October 04, 2015, 01:09:14 PM »
It's getting on towards winter and a lot of salt flat racers will probably be putting their cars and bikes on display.

It would be good if everyone had a sign next to the vehicle that tells of the plight of the BSF.  Some standardized wording that will be easily readable on a sandwich board sign.  Short and to the point.  No finger pointing or politics.  Just something to make the public aware of the situation.

I'm going to ask the STS folks for some input on this but thought you guys might want to get in on the wording.
Please help out.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: STS show signs
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 06:38:52 PM »
Mike, I wonder -- what if landracing.com were to try to help with those signs?  Maybe I could get them created and printed in a standard style - and send them to the racers that ask for 'em.  Yeah, it'd be an expense, but I'm thinking that maybe it'd be a good thing to have them look like they were professionally prepared and that they're identical -- representing the group more cohesively, yanno.  Yes, I'd put a bit of attribution on there - saying that lr.com had something to do with the signs - but it wouldn't be a big streamer advertisement but rather a little note.  Just enugh to let those that want one for their own how they can arrange to get it.

I don't know how big you've got in mind -- and if they get too large I'd have a devil of a time shipping them without spending a fortune.  But still -- it sounds like a good idea.  See what the STS folks say and keep me in mind.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline noboD

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 08:42:31 PM »
SSS, why not just create a standard sign digitally and post it? Then everyone could get their own printed at their expense but all the signs would have the correct info and say the same thing.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Well, well -- a great idea.  Makes you kinda wonder, though -- why didn't I think of that?

Maybe I'll do just what you suggest.  I will take the time to run the concept and draft of said sign past the StS folks, though -- to make sure that we're all pulling in the same direction.  Stay tuned for more details.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:28:28 PM »
Great Idea.
   Were bringing our Rear Engine Modified Roadster to the Jalopy Rama indoor car being held in Westminster Maryland the show is October 24Th. Placing a sign in our display about the salt situation would be a great idea. When I have the display sign made for the car I would have the STS sign printed at the same time.
  All I need is a standard to work from.   :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 01:30:03 PM by ronnieroadster »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »
One of my big gripes is that the STS message isn't reaching East past SLC. 

A sign, some flyers, a sheet that the person showing the car can use to prioritize information in a conversation about Bonneville . . .

I get opportunities to show the Midget ALL THE TIME.

There are a ton of opportunities and venues where volunteer racers could be of invaluable service to the coalition - provided they'd let us.

If that would happen, it would be critical that any branding/signage would be consistent from display to display, at every venue across the country.

But I suspect we'll have to let the dust of reorganization settle before that will happen.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 11:53:44 PM »
Great idea Mike. Another place for a sign might be somewhere close to the Interstate, like maybe a bill board close to the Salt Flat Cave.
How about one on the museum property?
John

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »
One of my big gripes is that the STS message isn't reaching East past SLC. 

A sign, some flyers, a sheet that the person showing the car can use to prioritize information in a conversation about Bonneville . . .

I get opportunities to show the Midget ALL THE TIME.

There are a ton of opportunities and venues where volunteer racers could be of invaluable service to the coalition - provided they'd let us.

If that would happen, it would be critical that any branding/signage would be consistent from display to display, at every venue across the country.

But I suspect we'll have to let the dust of reorganization settle before that will happen.

I sent an e-mail off to STS.  Louise responded and seemed really enthused with the idea.  I think we'll see something come of this pretty soon.

I like the idea of a standardized sign that's downloadable.  I had a poster made of my first build at the local copy place.  It's probably 18x24" on glossy enamel paper and it only cost about $25.  Not too bad.  Any copy place should be able to make sandwich board sized signs.  Getting the word out is the best way we can support the cause.
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline CharlieR

• New folks
  • Team FooRyi Racing
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:07:00 AM »
Downloadable is good.
Help us spread the word worldwide.

Offline paso54

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 06:32:59 AM »
I'm with Charlie on this let's spread it worldwide.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 08:00:59 AM »
The Utah Coalition and Save the Salt etc must be aware that British and European riders/drivers have been to the salt; tried to race on the salt this year and last; will want to race at Bonneville SF in the future.

There are a few more competitive events to be held over here in the next five weeks or so, then we have club and international shows in the British Isles, before pavement racing starts again in March '16.

Individuals and organisations will want to help as much as possible, so show signs will help over here as Charlie and 'Paso' have said. 

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
The Utah Coalition and Save the Salt etc must be aware that British and European riders/drivers have been to the salt; tried to race on the salt this year and last; will want to race at Bonneville SF in the future.

There are a few more competitive events to be held over here in the next five weeks or so, then we have club and international shows in the British Isles, before pavement racing starts again in March '16.

Individuals and organisations will want to help as much as possible, so show signs will help over here as Charlie and 'Paso' have said. 

And Malcolm, it's been my anecdotal experience that there remains a much higher awareness of LSR in Great Britain than in the US.  Historically, I attribute that to Campbell and Eyston, but given the high visibility that the Bloodhound project has generated, the possibility of STS piggybacking on that visibility could prove to be a tactical international lynchpin in raising awareness.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 09:48:34 AM »
Good thing Bloodhound wasn't going to run on the salt hey????. :evil:

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »
Perhaps it is because of the 'corporate' involvement in LSR by British Motoring Companies (MG, Healey, Sunbeam, Triumph, JCB,  etc..) as well as by individuals who knew how to project themselves to the British public, that we in the UK are blessed with many collections hosting historic LSR vehicles and LSR bikes. These are open to the public on a daily basis, so they too need the STS information.

Although Richard Noble ran at Bonneville with Thrust 2, his best performance and all of his later vehicles (including Bloodhound) have been designed around the playa surface, not salt. But having said that Richard and Andy are both in the '2 Club'. Does the STS have access to the mailing lists of the organisations which run alongside the racer groups using the salt?  [Are they ready to harness the worldwide attention?]

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Robin UK

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 12:16:23 PM »
35,000 + Facebook Likes for BloodhoundSSC tells its own story, so yup, STS ought to be targeting those people as well.

Pre WW2 the whole Thomas/Segrave/Campbell/Eyston/Cobb lsr evolution got more publicity that track racing - mainly because we didn't have the cars to compete at the top level. That was followed by the whole Donald Campbell, son of lsr legend, media saga to support his projects. That mantle was in turn picked up by Richard Noble. When I was a kid growing up, it was Cobb (my personal hero) and Campbell but for just about anybody under 40-45 today in the UK and many other parts of the world, record breaking means Richard Noble and Andy Green.

Robin