Author Topic: Is the Site slow for you....  (Read 5492 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Is the Site slow for you....
« on: September 28, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
This site has been very slow to come up for the last few days for me using Firefox.  Anyone else?  No problems on other sites I visit almost daily,

Sumner

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: Is the Site slow for you....
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 12:06:07 PM »
Sum, it works fine for me and it's 1955 here in Salina. Do you have a rotary dial internet there in Blanding?  :roll: Wayno

Offline salt27

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 12:12:41 PM »
It has been a little slow the last couple of days for me but I assume it's our internet provider.
Today it's cooking right along.   :cheers:

Wayno, Is there something else besides rotary???

Don

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:01:02 PM »
It's working dandy for me both at the house (with 1Mb/sec service) and here at the shop - where we've got 36Mb/s service.  Let me know if you've got continuing problems, Sum, although you probably know about 17 zillion things more about the internet and 'puters than do I.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 01:04:25 PM »
Don, I guess I should have asked Sum if he has rotary dial there YET. Could still be crank.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 01:19:36 PM »
Wayno, I gotta tell you about a guy Nancy and I met last week.  He started off on a bad foot -- telling us how pleased he was to see "older folks" like us on the dance floor.  (Dickhead!)  Then he somehow got on the subject of modern stuff -- like telephones.  He asked if I remember rotary dial phones and was dumbfounded when I told him that I remember phones a generation older than dial -- the ones that were pretty much the same as a rotary dial but had no dial.  The user would lift the handset and maybe joggle the cradle switch a few times to get the attention of the live operator.  that operator would then manually direct (my) call to the recipient I wanted to talk with - or would send my call to the next operator who'd be doing the long distance switching.

He plumb did not believe that there ever could have been such a system.  But we showed him -- went home without him in tow.  That'll teach him to be respectful of folks older than he - - maybe.  It was after the "old folks" comment that he asked, by the way, my opinion of his "generation"  He seemed rather taken aback when I described him/them as a bunch of pussies.  I don't necessarily feel that way -- but hey, I had to get a shot in somehow, didn't I?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 01:56:57 PM »
Jon;

Back in my caving days, there was a region with some great caves in Germany Valley in WV. Along that Pendleton County mountain road was the last hand-crank battery-operated telephone system in the US. It was connected to the nationwide telephone system in the small town of Riverton- so, in the mid '60s (1960s, not 1860s  :-) ) to call long distance to the farmer who owned the land where Schoolhouse Cave was located, you had to get an operator and tell her you wanted to call "Riverton 12". Then it would take 20 minutes arguing with various operators and supervisors that "Riverton 12" was an actual telephone number. Eventually the call would go through. The same thing happened when calling the owner of Hell Hole.

That guy probably wouldn't believe me either!

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Robin UK

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 03:07:14 PM »
Works fine for me even though that bit of string gets very wet as it crosses the Atlantic. We had the first phone in our street back in the early 50's and my mother insisted that it was installed behind a front window for everybody to see. Not many people to call back then so it didn't do much other than get a polish every week. A bit later, party or shared lines were another thing if there were not enough numbers. If your neighbour was talking when you picked up the phone, then you just put it down to try again later. I started my commercial IT career back in 1968 so I've seen pretty much every development there has been to date. The same cr*p stills happens - but just faster and more often.

BTW I dance like I was taught by Douglas Bader (look him up if his fame hasn't spread beyond these shores) so that kid's jaw would have hit the floor if I'd been strutting my stuff. But as I would have told him - I may be old and bald but I'll never be ugly.  :-D

Robin

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
BEFORE THAT
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers:
Wayno, I gotta tell you about a guy Nancy and I met :cheers: last week.  He started off on a bad foot -- telling us how pleased he was to see "older folks" like us on the dance floor.  (Dickhead!)  Then he somehow got on the subject of modern stuff -- like telephones.  He asked if I remember rotary dial phones and was dumbfounded when I told him that I remember phones a generation older than dial -- the ones that were pretty much the same as a rotary dial but had no dial.  The user would lift the handset and maybe joggle the cradle switch a few times to get the attention of the live operator.  that operator would then manually direct (my) call to the recipient I wanted to talk with - or would send my call to the next operator who'd be doing the long distance switching.

He plumb did not believe that there ever could have been such a system.  But we showed him -- went home without him in tow.  That'll teach him to be respectful of folks older than he - - maybe.  It was after the "old folks" comment that he asked, by the way, my opinion of his "generation"  He seemed rather taken aback when I described him/them as a bunch of pussies.  I don't necessarily feel that way -- but hey, I had to get a shot in somehow, didn't I?
HAY SSS DOES TWO LONG RINGS AND A SHORT, RING A BELL? :cheers:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 04:02:21 PM »
Works fine for me even though that bit of string gets very wet as it crosses the Atlantic. We had the first phone in our street back in the early 50's and my mother insisted that it was installed behind a front window for everybody to see. Not many people to call back then so it didn't do much other than get a polish every week. A bit later, party or shared lines were another thing if there were not enough numbers. If your neighbour was talking when you picked up the phone, then you just put it down to try again later. I started my commercial IT career back in 1968 so I've seen pretty much every development there has been to date. The same cr*p stills happens - but just faster and more often.

BTW I dance like I was taught by Douglas Bader (look him up if his fame hasn't spread beyond these shores) so that kid's jaw would have hit the floor if I'd been strutting my stuff. But as I would have told him - I may be old and bald but I'll never be ugly.  :-D

Robin

Wasn't the movie "Reach For The Sky" about Douglas Bader?

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 08:02:38 PM »
Yup.  The book was written by Paul Brickhill if memory serves...
E-Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
Hey Sum, no slowness here, using cell 3G for internet on the computer.... it is that or satellite at my house, cell is way faster.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
Well, not specifically 2 long and a short, but I do remember having to count rings of the phone.  And I remember being told about having to crank the handle for (for instance) two long and one short.

A good reason (if there really is such) for my kinda deep voice is that when I was puberty-ing I'd get cranky when making a long-distance call and the operator, upon hearing me request the number and such, would respond "Thank you, ma'am".  From then I decided to train my voice to be deep and not girly.  I went so far as to listen to some of the great radio announcers of the time (Franklin MacCormick on WGN, for instance - he did "The Meister Brau Showcase" all-night show for years) and trying to duplicate their sounds.

Back to phones - and I remember being about the first people we knew that had touch tone phones.  Yeah, I remember this, and that, and wow, I must be getting older if I can remember that much stuff.

But the site isn't slow for me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com