Author Topic: The next petition; add your two cents  (Read 11247 times)

Offline Dakin Engineering

The next petition; add your two cents
« on: September 27, 2015, 03:47:59 PM »
What do you want to see in the next petition?

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Re: The next petition; add your two cents
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 06:57:09 PM »
How about:
WE THE PEOPLE petition the Attorney General of the United States to investigate the failure of the BLM to protect public lands.
And prosecute those responsible.

Sam

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 11:03:08 PM »
Sam, unfortunately you cannot prosecute anyone in the BLM for piss poor performance and negligence unless you can prove they benefited (read took a bribe) from allowing the destruction of the salt flats.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:36:12 AM »
Motorsports and travel are costly so doing a "million man march" type deal in DC isn't on the cards I guess.
2000 tow vehicles with LSR cargo behind them would make the ultimate statement.

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
Stainless,
   I was thinking more along the lines of a RICO act investigation of the BLM.
I would suggest a Senate Ethics inquiry, but that has to be the ultimate oxymoron...

Sam

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:27:16 PM »
How about;

WE THE PEOPLE demand restoration of the Bonneville Salt Flats.

(and a video clip)

Sam

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »
What the petition says makes little difference.  Who the petition is placed in front of does matter.  The goal is to put it in the faces of all the guys and gals who ever drove a car and enjoyed the experience.  Anyone who ever read a car magazine.  Anyone who frequents state parks.  Anyone who attends races at any level.  Everyone will sign if 2 things happen: 1. it won't take food off their dinner table and 2. its easy to do.  The part we're missing is the absence of contact with the outside world.  Obviously even the SCTA doesn't read this forum.  Its not a good or even decent venue to post a link to a petition.  A national news story with a link - Fox news, CNN, and much more...  Think big. 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline aircap

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 12:27:31 AM »
It will never happen, but I'd like to see the BLM defunded and control of the salt given back to the state of Utah. Or is that dumb, too?
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:05:42 AM »
In a democracy, you're allowed to petition, and they're allowed to throw it away.

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 12:23:39 PM »
In a democracy, you're allowed to petition, and they're allowed to throw it away.

I am sure it's the same thing in a Republic, with Democratically elected politicians.
Which is, what we STILL are. I know it pisses some people off, but they still let us
reside that fact in the "Pledge of Allegiance".

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic
for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Mike

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 02:28:54 PM »
Federal lands are managed under a lot of regulations.  Typically, in order to make the process doable, the lands are administered according to plans that are prepared on a periodic basis.  This is an account of my experience during the Northwest Forest Management Plan that applied to BLM land where we ride our dirt bikes.  My work was done during the presidency of the guy that was in office before Bill Clinton and it ended during his second term.  Our club had a formal relationship with the BLM that was established a few years prior.  It was to manage and use a tract of woods for trail riding and racing.

We were notified of the upcoming Plan.  I got on the mailing list right away.  We were sent questionnaires and a bunch of other stuff.  I read them, discussed them with the club, and replied as needed.  Initial draft plans were sent for review.  These things are massive and boring to study.  One thing I noticed was that industry and the environmental nuts somehow got their agendas into the plan before all of the rest of us.  The specific comments I had during the initial stages were to keep us there as forest users.  We were mentioned as users in subsequent drafts.

The material sent by the BLM for review got more detailed.  It started to mention specific trails and other details.  Lots of environmental documents were sent, too.  The environmental stuff needed to be read extremely closely.  Some restrictions were and are totally ridiculous.  One was to restrict activities within a considerable distance of the coast if there was a potential for Marbled Murrelet nesting.  No murrelets needed to be found in the area.  This area was along the entire Oregon coast as far as 50 miles from the ocean.  We found we were effective if we were aggressive and vocal about specific items that made no sense.  We also piggybacked our use on with powerful users like logging and mining.  We said, if those clowns can come in and clearcut the woods what harm will a few bike trails create?  This worked real good.  How could they be picky with us if we were operating on timber producing land?  My tenure doing this was about six or seven years.  After this the files were about a foot thick with correspondence and the stack of review documents was about 3 feet high.

What I learned was the only way to effectively work with the BLM is to do it like this.  Work within the system.  Second, fellow users like the railroad, mining, etc have a lot of power.  This can be used to your mutual benefit or it can go the other way.  Last, whoever does this needs to be patient, sorta crafty, able to work with people, and have lots of time available for reading.  Also, the clubs need to exhibit some degree of patience.  The work I did on the forest plan did not give results until it was implemented and this was several years after we gave our initial comments.

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 04:35:04 PM »
Has anyone considered approaching David Freiburger and Hot Rod magazine?  I know they are aware of the situation and are certainly in a position to drum up national (and international) support from enthusiasts.
E-Racer

Offline distributorguy

• Advanced Distributors
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 10:07:49 AM »
I haven't contacted David, but I have contacted a few other magazine editors and generally speaking, they don't want to touch this subject with a 20' pole.  In their minds, if they jump on board they may as well discuss religion too. 
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. 
Racing is the evil modification of insanity.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »
I haven't contacted David, but I have contacted a few other magazine editors and generally speaking, they don't want to touch this subject with a 20' pole.  In their minds, if they jump on board they may as well discuss religion too. 

Well kids, this is religion  :-o The faithful understand what draws us to the salt, the unbelievers never will.  If this does not go national.... bigger than this small group of people, we will probably lose our "Holy Ground" to continued strip mining.

ever feel like you are  :dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MAYOMAN

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 10:59:58 AM »
BLM is a federal bureaucracy. Bureaucracies are dedicated to preserving bureaucrats. Period! They are experts at creating lots of paperwork and accomplishing nothing - except generating reports. Petitions are filed and forgotten. They are in Civil Service and aren't going anywhere - until retirement.

In real terms, this is a political problem. Members of Congress have the power of the purse - and it can be used effectively influencing bureaucracies. As elected representatives of their constituents, they can be influenced when the voters petition and express concerns. First, the most directly affected Congressional politicians must be influenced. Mike Crawford might be able to guide us there. Utah's 2 Senators and Representatives of the immediately affected Counties between Slat Lake City and Wendover, Utah would be most likely to respond to requests for action with BLM. Possibly, the Nevada members of Congress could also be urged to work with the Utah Congressmen - the West Wendover hospitality industry would have a stake in this and could be leveraged.

The reality is that very few of the LSR racers are local Bonneville Speedway residents - so it would be important to team up with those affected locals and businesses that actually vote and contribute to the politicians' campaigns in Utah and Nevada. As a backup to that action - the LSR racers can contact their own Congressmen (email and snail mail) to work with the Utah and Nevada politicians (once identified) to influence the BLM. Your Congressmen WILL respond to constituent requests. Ask them how you can help them gather political allies in Congress to take action with the BLM.
The road is long - Life is short - Drive fast