Author Topic: Fastest on dirt?  (Read 17772 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Fastest on dirt?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 01:41:23 AM »
Thanks for the info. I should have guessed that Searles had been "mined to death".
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 08:15:21 AM »
Maybe it is because of climit change :roll:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »
Maybe it is because of climit change :roll:

More, a real example of "global forming" (I miss that man).

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2015, 11:28:32 AM »
A screen shot of a data log showing a GPS speed of 360 mph would be cool to see.   :wink:
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2015, 08:53:19 PM »
On that last run, the only good run we had, the GPS had an operator issue. It was already running when I hit the start / stop logging button which of course stopped it. To say I was pissed would be an understatement once I figured out what happened and we had no data. The 360 number was conservatively calculated from RPM as our front ire speed sensor also decided to start acting up on that run. We were able to get converter slip numbers from previous runs to help calculate MPH.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Fastest on dirt?
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2015, 09:09:46 PM »
I was actually very disappointed in my performance on the playa. My crew did fantastic but a few dumb decision on my part kept us from being successful.
1) not having a spare bottom shaft for the rearend was really stupid as I knew it was the weak link in our drivetrain. Lost two full days.
2) I instructed Brandon to do coast down test thinking that we had a clean neutral. We did have a clean neutral but it needed to be armed differently with the electronic valve body. I had totally forgotten about that. This killed our good transmission. Burnt her up reeeeal good.
3) I did not take an inventory of the ice we had on board for our last day of running and we did not have enough ice for the Intercooler to make good power.

I was actually very disappointed we did not come home with a 400+ mph run under our belt.
Designing, building and paying for enough hardware to get the job done is one thing. Actual execution of the task is quite another.

I still can't believe we left there with the car still running perfectly just because we had to come to work. In retrospect, we really should have taken one more day and figured out how to seal the cockpit a little better, then run her hard until we went really fast or broke her trying. That's what a good racer would have done.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 08:47:05 PM »
Rob and Brandon,
I don't want to hear any of the "that's what a good racer would have done" that is pure BS. You guys are "REAL Racers"!!!! You have built a car that has 500 mph potential, with a design that is completely different than the competition and then you had the ability to find some place to actually run it very fast. And this is all being done in a little town in Pennsylvania, 2500 miles from the salt and by some guys that are not "aged" land speed guys. Absolutely a fantastic effort.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline krusty

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 08:34:09 AM »

Rex speaks the truth. There are a lot of LSR folk pulling for your success.

vic

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2016, 09:31:29 AM »
I sincerely hope you guys don't think that you're the first or only  ones to make mistakes (speaking from experience).
I agree with Rex completely and following your build.

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2016, 05:39:50 AM »
With every vehicle "unique", there is always an "essential" learning curve.

Doesn't matter whether it is the car, engine, or drivetrain, there is always "something".

You guys are doing fantastic.     Wishing you more success.

It was a pleasure to meet you all @ PRI.

:cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein