Author Topic: extended cab vs single cab aero  (Read 3943 times)

Offline robert56

• New folks
extended cab vs single cab aero
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:03:10 AM »
I'm considering building an S-10 based entry for MMP class.  I've read anecdotally that an extended cab truck has "better aero" than a single cab but I haven't seen any Cd numbers to back it up.  Cd figures are hard to come by for trucks in general.   I know that GM/Banks built the Syclone LSR on an extended cab truck but did they do it for better aero properties or just for the longer wheelbase?  If it was just for the longer wheelbase and considering the fact that I'll be running ECTA and not on the salt I'd be better off with the lighter single cab, I would think.  Thoughts?

Rob

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: extended cab vs single cab aero
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:38:26 AM »
I'm considering building an S-10 based entry for MMP class.  I've read anecdotally that an extended cab truck has "better aero" than a single cab but I haven't seen any Cd numbers to back it up.  Cd figures are hard to come by for trucks in general.   I know that GM/Banks built the Syclone LSR on an extended cab truck but did they do it for better aero properties or just for the longer wheelbase?  If it was just for the longer wheelbase and considering the fact that I'll be running ECTA and not on the salt I'd be better off with the lighter single cab, I would think.  Thoughts?

Rob

My personally feeling is running the mile vs. the salt is just a completely different deal.  You are running a vehicle more or less setup for the drag strip that will run further than the 1/4 mile.   Aero is important but weight could be more important (the less of it the better).  I can't imagine a lot of aero difference between the two and I'd just be looking for the pickup with the smallest frontal area regardless of make that you can get a cage in and yourself. 

If I was also making it for the salt also then I'd be more concerned about the aero and the ability to add weight forward to help with keeping the center of pressure forward.

Sumner

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 10:42:57 AM »
you are going to need the ROOM of the extended cab if you really start trying to go fast with all the stuff you will be putting in there and it will be light years easier to get in and out of when you put the cage in there if you are building a LSR vech.--- for resale  best to keep the salt in mind
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 1leg

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:48:55 PM »
Keeping it light weight will make easier to resale as a drag car too, Just my .02
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline salt27

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:10:21 PM »
What I remember is that the extended cab was indeed more aero.

I have the magazine with the story about it around here somewhere.

Don

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »
On trucks the longer the better it appears
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

gkabbt

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 05:45:16 PM »

Here is a PRIME example of an extended cab S-10 at Wilmington this weekend:

It's Bob Merickle's S-10 powered by a Wayne Jessel Dodge engine. This it's first time out.

Also, Javajoe79 here on lr.com ran a 96 GMC Sonoma several years back and got a Bonneville record and red hat!
Do a search.

HTH,
Gregg

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 06:10:36 PM »
I've got a four door Colorado that could be turned into a LSR contender.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth