Author Topic: Wilmington September Picture Post  (Read 24263 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Re: Wilmington September Picture Post
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 01:27:20 AM »
It appears that the 8N says "TO830". Does ECTA now have a tractor class?

DUH... "Time Only" I guess? :roll:

Note to self: Think then speak...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 01:30:29 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 02:41:00 AM »
Comon Jack, that stands for Tractor Oreally! :-D :evil:
  Sid.

Offline yetavon

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:57 AM »
Many thanks for play by play and pics from someone stuck at work...
co-workers think I'm crazy

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
The tractor's been entered at SpeedWeek for the last couple of years.  It might be the best vehicle for track conditions, but still didn't run.  Nor anyone else.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

gkabbt

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2015, 05:49:35 PM »

Cloudy with temps in the low 60's for the morning and then sunny for the afternoon with temps in the mid 70's. Pretty constant cross/headwind for the better part of the day which seems the norm for here.
Again, this was a full meet + so we ran all the way to 4:00 PM. As I posted yesterday, there were many new to the ECTA bikes and cars and what a pleasure to see!

Fastest bike of the meet was Shane Stubbs this morning at a new track record of 248 and change.
Fastest car of the meet and year was Ron Keselowski this afternoon at 236 and change.

This was probably one of the best ECTA meets I've been to!   
:cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:  to the ECTA!

I hung out mostly at the finish line with the track photographer Dave Whealon so I did not get many pics.

Here is my Google+ link from today:

https://plus.google.com/photos/115248360774022016668/albums/6199306256902833953

As usual, hope you enjoy.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2015, 06:04:33 PM »
The tractor's been entered at SpeedWeek for the last couple of years.  It might be the best vehicle for track conditions, but still didn't run.  Nor anyone else.

When you finally see it run Stan you will enjoy it. Unique to say the least.
If my feeble memory serves me correctly, they ran a best of 89 and change this afternoon.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 06:28:30 PM »
Some highlights of this meet to me:

lr.com's own ronnieroadster - Ron Sangiovanni with a 179 and change in his blown flathead RMR.
Shawn Mote's crew chief Dar Borradaile in the Coupe de Kill Cadillac with a 208 and change. Man, I LOVE that car!!!!!
Jon Dennison in the GORGEOUS Dennison and Liddell C/GR with a 218 and change.
Robert Hustler with a 222 and change from his C/GALT Ford Probe.
Shane Stubbs with that motorcycle track record 248 and change.
Ron Keselowski with the meet/year record of 236 and change from his C/GCT.
Bob Merickle with a 218 and change in his C/GMMP.

I'm sure there were many bike accomplishments but I'm a car guy.....Sorry!
Hopefully, someone will post about the bikes!

Gregg
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:56:12 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »

I need to add that I heard Brian say at the close this afternoon that, with 150+ entries, we were right at 500 runs.
MAJOR KUDOS to the ECTA and the volunteers!!!  :cheers:   :cheers:   :cheers:

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2015, 08:54:51 PM »
Brian really never ceases to amaze me with the info he has or gets!

Case in point, the steam car at this meet:

Feeble memory, So IIRC.....there's 900' of small tubing in the boiler. After the water is heated, there is a valve that will only build 250 PSI. This PSI is fed into a modified RX7 rotary and the power is transferred out to a chain drive that powered the car to a 38 MPH speed today. Over the winter he will change that 250 PSI valve to a 1000 PSI and speed should increase.

Admirable!

Gregg
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 09:06:07 PM by gkabbt »

Offline o1marc

• New folks
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2015, 09:48:44 PM »
I work on the Merickle S-10. He actually ran a 212.450 beating the old record by 20mph. Appreciate the great pics. Rather proud of this build and it was well received at the meet as was the Metro when we built it. We were within 2mph of our expected mph with this gear.
The TO for the tractor is a Tractor Only class. They had issues with it popping out of gear on Sat. but figured it out after 2 passes at 45 and 55 seeking a 100mph goal. They ended up with a 96+mph run. Had issues with the soft 747 airplane tires not having enough air in them and getting a bouncy/squishy ride. The said they used a whole bottle of nitrogen and it only put like 70psi in the tires. They couldn't figure out how to get more in those huge tires.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:02:50 PM by o1marc »

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2015, 09:53:15 PM »
I was hoping my "slow" record would stand at 46.5mph but it looks like the steam streamliner has me beat.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

gkabbt

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »
I am crew chief on the Merickle S-10. We actually ran a 212.450 beating the old record by 20mph. Appreciate the great pics. Rather proud of this build and it was well received at the meet as was the Metro when we built it. We were within 2mph of our expected mph with this gear.
The TO for the tractor is a Tractor Only class. They had issues with it popping out of gear on Sat. but figured it out after 2 passes at 45 and 55 seeking a 100mph goal. They ended up with a 96+mph run. Had issues with the soft 747 airplane tires not having enough air in them and getting a bouncy/squishy ride. The said they used a whole bottle of oxygen and it only put like 70psi in the tires. They couldn't figure out how to get more in those huge tires.

Sorry I got the speed wrong....Still, 212 is EXCELLENT for your 1st outing!!!!!

When my friend, Paul Powell, told me that Bob would be bringing a new truck to this meet, I knew it would be spectacular.....just like the Metropolitan. To me, it is as equally spectacular. You guys, as well as Rabbit, did a fantastic job on this truck!

Also, thanks for the info on the tractor.

If you guys are here next year, I'll stop by and say howdy.

REALLY, REALLY LOVE the truck,
Gregg
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 11:00:38 PM by gkabbt »

gkabbt

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 10:16:24 PM »
I was hoping my "slow" record would stand at 46.5mph but it looks like the steam streamliner has me beat.

Not a fair comparison.....you're internal combustion and he's steam. In my book, you still have your record.
Besides, he did not give an interview while he was coming down the track.....ROTFLMFAO - Epic!!!!!

Brian said this was the 1st time this car had moved under it's own power. Previous was run on jackstands in the garage. And just to let you know, he was pushed to almost the 1st turnout.....What, 1/2 mile?

Again, admirable,
Gregg
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:20:29 PM by gkabbt »

Online Elmo Rodge

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
Ronnieroadster has a good looking Pushwagon and it's ALLmost a Flathead.  :-D :wink: :cheers: Wayno

Offline o1marc

• New folks
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »
I was wondering if the push truck pushed him to 80mph and he coasted the steamer through the traps at better than the old record would it count? Kind of a cool engine in the steamer. It's a Mazda 2 rotor Wankel, each cycle the steam hits the top of one of the rotors and the bottom and then on the next revolution it fires the next rotor the same way.