Author Topic: Sigrid Michelsen  (Read 1894 times)

velocity

Sigrid Michelsen
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:51:40 PM »
Few of you reading this will have met her. If you did, savor it, there is no more.

Just weeks after leaving her southern California home of more than 30 years for a sparkling, new life with her dazzlingly talented daughter, Tamara, tea-drinking code wizard son-in-law Sean, newly graduated designer and grandson Scott (so proud, she was) and youngest grandson "he who will amaze thee" Kyle  - Sigrid Michelsen died in San Antonio last night for reasons none of us may ever fully understand and forever not want to accept.

Sigrid was an exceptional creative force who grew up in Kensington, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, DC. The middle of five children, Sigrid was known as the "Artistic One," creating artwork since she was old enough to hold a pencil. There were classes in college, but it wasn't until her adult years that she developed her skill in a formal way, first with oils then exploding with ideas after switching to watercolor.

This medium unleashed a complex nuance of expression she'd sought for so long. Then came an avalanche of new works: landscapes, seascapes, portraits and water creatures, all filled with the delicacy and depth she delighted in giving. Ending her first career as a financial controller Sigrid embraced her lifetime dream of being a full time artist. Influences from visits to the beaches in the Outer Banks of North Carolina began to surface. A fascination with light, water and clouds dominated.

Forget all her art, her husband, and her kid, if I had but one word that could envelope this woman's existence on any day, in any place, with any person, on any subject, it would be "sweetness."

Decades divorced from husband John Baechtel, author and former senior editor at Hot Rod Magazine, who makes Mike Cook's Land Speed Events look good on the world wide web, anyone who knew this pair was impressed that they remained good friends through the years after divorcing -- deeply committed to raising their daughter. If John and Sigrid did nothing else right in this life, they got it perfect with their kid, never playing one against the other. Because of this simple, inviolate pact, Tamara grew into a marvelous lady and mother of her own.

The tears are welling, I am drained in this telling and shocked by her sudden passing in so many ways.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:04:08 PM by velocity »

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Sigrid Michelsen
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:02:43 PM »
Louise, I did not know her but I can tell she was a dear friend of yours. You and her family have my condolences and sympathy.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:00:24 PM »
Louise, Emotion is hard work.

I feel drained for You.

Thanks.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 2club

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 07:09:43 PM »
Louise, thank you for posting such a beautiful tribute to Sigrid. I think you captured the essence of who she was and what she meant to so many people, particularly Tammy and Sean and the grandsons, her extended family and friends and of course myself and all those who are now a part of my life. It is difficult to believe that she was taken so soon, but it will always be easy to remember her ever present smile and cheerful personality. She was never really a part of the land racing community, but like many of those who are she represented the best human qualities that we all strive for. Our differences were minor and we remained close friends to the end. I remain proud to have been part of her life, proud to have married her and proud to have raised such an incredible daughter. She was a remarkably bright light and those always seen to burn out early. And yet those of us who were lucky enough to have been around her or close to her will forever be enriched by the unending glow of her memory. Thanks Louise.

velocity

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:36:17 AM »
JB -

I am so very, very sorry you have lost her. I find comfort in knowing that when I think of her I always see that quick, bursting smile flanked with two inquisitive, sparkling eyes. what she did with a paint brush was spectacular, but it seemed that no matter what art project she happened to find in creating, it was always so elegant, soft and alluring - just like her heart.