Author Topic: missing master link clip!  (Read 18408 times)

Jessechop

Re: missing master link clip!
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 04:32:24 PM »
One of my first years racing I had a fellow racer notice I was running master links and demanded I safety wire the clip. So I gave him the safety wire and he did it. And after that run the wire was missing. So I rewired it, and after that run it was missing. So I rewired it and after that run it was missing. I stopped wiring them at that point (I now run rivet links)

I would suspect that the clip wasnt fully seated, crap under it, etc. It happens, we have all done it....well at least I have! Its also encouraged by most chain makers to use new spring clips every time you have a chain apart, yet how many of us do that?  :-D Exaclty, we look around on the ground, find the clip and put it on.

Oh, and remember to put the open part of the clip oppisite  the direction of travel

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 01:51:02 AM »
Looking at the assembled chain on my bike, it doesn't appear that wrapping safety wire around the outer plate and clip would accomplish much. The installed clip is narrower than the plate, so the wire wouldn't hold the clip "closed". And the wire could easily move toward a pin, where a sprocket tooth could hit it.

A problem I've had in recent years is assuring that a clip is truly seated in the pin grooves of a new master link. I don't know if it's true of all X-ring and O-ring chains, but the last new X-ring master link I installed (Japanese 520 X-ring chain) had a press fit of the plate onto the pins. I had to make a pressing fixture- piece of 1/4" aluminum with two clearance holes for the pins- to place over the plate, then use a C-clamp to press the plate fully in place. Even then, there was no "wiggle room" for the cliip- it had to be tightly against the plate to seat in its grooves. This was in ideal working conditions- comfortable shop, no time constraints, etc.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 07:37:40 AM »
     Years ago I "discovered" press fit master link side plates when I installed a new Tsubaki chain late the night before we were to leave on an extended road trip.  I ground down  one jaw on a pair of Vice Grips to fit between the pins so I could squeeze it on enough for the clip to seat.

Ed

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
I run chains with a master link. I have a chain kit and press the plate and make sure the clip seats good. If I think about it before i lube the chain I Silicone it, I double safety wire it. I havent lost a clip since I started safety wiring, I did before. :roll:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline davidd

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 01:54:55 PM »
I don't know about all clip type master links, but way back when, a guy who raced motocross showed me that most master link clips are not flat, they have an arc in them that is intended to be placed toward the link plate. Now before installing the clip, I put them on a flat surface and make sure I have the bend toward the link plate. All the DID and RK chains I have used have the arc'd clip.
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline Bullfrog

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »
I don't know about all clip type master links, but way back when, a guy who raced motocross showed me that most master link clips are not flat, they have an arc in them that is intended to be placed toward the link plate. Now before installing the clip, I put them on a flat surface and make sure I have the bend toward the link plate. All the DID and RK chains I have used have the arc'd clip.
The chain and master link that I lost the clip on is a DID brand. I haven't ever noticed that they were arced and had to be mounted with the arc toward the side plate. That's good to know! Thanks for the info, I will always check for this in the future!

Offline WhizzbangK.C.

• Ed Bennett, Speed Team Doo Kansas City fab shop.
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 08:30:31 PM »
The chain and master link that I lost the clip on is a DID brand. I haven't ever noticed that they were arced and had to be mounted with the arc toward the side plate. That's good to know! Thanks for the info, I will always check for this in the future!

It's the same as snap rings, both internal and external. The way they are made is a punch die operation, punching them out of a flat sheet. The process creates a slightly cupped form with the edges on one side sharp and the other rounded. The sharp edges should always go against the shoulder of the groove away from the part they are retaining.
Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't previously aware of.  Douglas Adams

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 08:34:15 PM »
I've ran nitro burning motorcycles for many years on the dragstrip and have never had issues with masterlinks. I've always felt that was due to making sure sprocket alignment was as close as you have the technology to get it. I found a fine laser and gauge blocks worked best. Second thing is to properly set up tension on the chain. Someone had posted earlier that too loose a chain would whip climbing on the sprocket and cause undo stress on the link. I believe that. Thirdly is to change out your chain and master link often. A new chain is the most efficient way to transfer horsepower to the rear wheel. Horsepower can cost so much why would you give it away with an old chain? Lastly size the chain appropriately for the horsepower application. I once set up a new clutch to improve 60 ft times and started stretching 530 chains 4 links long in one pass! I went to a 630 and problem went away and gained .20 on my 60 ft times. I have never seen anyone going real fast use wire on a link. Do you know how to engineer the clip better than the engineers who designed it? Turning the clip with the sharp edge out is the right way to put it on just like a retaining ring. Don't stress the clip by twisting it or spreading it when installing. Putting a dab of silicone on the outside is fine if it makes you fell better. I've seen them come off with silicone on them.

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
The other thing I do is use calipers to measure the width of the link next to the one with the master link. I them press on the plate on the master link to obtain the same dimension i.e. not too loose and not too tight.
E-Racer

Offline Jack Gifford

Re:
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2015, 02:17:32 AM »
... press on the plate on the master link to obtain the same dimension i.e. not too loose and not too tight...
The press-fit master link I mentioned in my post above had shouldered pins to correctly locate the plate.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline dresda

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 11:59:25 PM »
When vintage road racing up here in Canada we have to lock wire the clip but you will loose the lock wire every time when you come in unless you put a dab of silicone on a well.