Author Topic: missing master link clip!  (Read 18407 times)

Offline Bullfrog

• New folks
missing master link clip!
« on: September 17, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
Mid morning on Sunday at the 2015 Harvest Event I decided to change the front sprocket on my bike. A slight tail wind had kicked up and I thought adding a tooth to the front sprocket might gain a few more MPH. The last run was a new personal best and a record for the class (A-CG750) at 130+. I loosened up the rear wheel and backed off the tension bolts then gave the rear wheel a boot to loosen the chain to fit the larger sprocket. Imagine my shock when the side plate for the master clip fell onto the pavement! The clip was nowhere to be found, lost on the last run...??? I had checked it at the start of the day when I went over the safety checks and all was fine. I normally wrap a couple laps of safety wire around the clip to hold it in place but always thought it wasn't really necessary as I have never lost a master clip in 40 years of motorcycling on the road. This was a new DID chain and master link that had about 20 passes. I have heard of people also gluing the master clip on with silicone as well as the safety wire. I just wanted to get a feel for what others have done. I don't want to ever loose a chain at speed and will do whatever is needed to prevent a failure in the future. I truly feel that my guardian angel must have working on the bike with me that Sunday morning!!!       

Offline sabat

Re: missing master link clip!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:52:29 PM »
I prefer rivet links, is there one available for your chain?  congrats, Dean

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »
I always clean the linkplate and clip with Shellite (Acetone), then apply Silicon. "Never" had a problem  :-),,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline RansomT

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 04:46:03 PM »
I always clean the linkplate and clip with Shellite (Acetone), then apply Silicon. "Never" had a problem  :-),,,

Ditto

Offline Bullfrog

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 05:02:18 PM »
I'm using the original xl size 630 chain. I haven't looked for a riveted link but that might be an option to look into. Thanks! When you guys use the silicone to secure the clip do you also include the safety wire under or just the silicone??

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:27:38 PM »
I'm using the original xl size 630 chain. I haven't looked for a riveted link but that might be an option to look into. Thanks! When you guys use the silicone to secure the clip do you also include the safety wire under or just the silicone??
both
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Frank06

Re:
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »
Any pictures of this?
E-Racer

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 06:55:35 AM »

just the silicon, and always make sure that the chain is correctly adjusted,  :-),, If chain is too loose, shock (whipping) on the bottom run can dislodge the clip when the link comes into contact with the rear sprocket,,,
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:59:22 AM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline dresda

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »
I always lock wire and silicone, for some reason just lock wire will snap.
Ray.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 12:45:31 AM »
I can't picture how a clip could be safety-wired? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Truckedup

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
 I never had a problem with the clips...
Triumph 650 LTA MPG record holder  133.1 MPH...

Offline Bullfrog

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 01:19:46 PM »

« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:43:00 AM »

Reply with quoteQuote
 I never had a problem with the clips...

I never had a problem either..... until the last race! It was missing when I got back to my pit area, a wonder the chain hadn't come off!
To secure the clip I have been wrapping a piece of safety wire around the clip and side plate with two loops then twisting on the outside with about a quarter of an inch of twist and bent over to lay flat. I guess I will also give the silicone a try in addition to this. I keep the chain tightened to the specs in my Suzuki shop manual. Thanks for all the help!!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 01:25:39 PM »
Maybe I'm in a dense mood this morning -- but doesn't the safety wire therefore end up going past the side plate's INSIDE surface?  And doesn't that mean the wire wears off from where it touches the sprocket teeth during operation?  Please explain so I can get back to work. . . :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bullfrog

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 01:57:41 PM »
There is a gap (at least on my 630 chain) between the the adjacent links so it comes close but doesn't come in contact with the sprocket on the inside. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
As long as the inside plates are thicker than the wire and the wire lays flat. Thanks, I was puzzling about that when the lights suddenly went on!  :-o :-D :-D

Pete