Poll

LSR fairing on a ZX14?

?
?

Author Topic: ZX14 Aerodynamics  (Read 5253 times)

Offline blair0352

• New folks
ZX14 Aerodynamics
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:46:26 PM »
Has anyone here installed a full LSR faiirng on a ZX14?  Any hints or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: ZX14 Aerodynamics
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »
should not be any different than on a Busa, a Harley or a Honda 50.... The fairing and aero are the important part, what you put under it is your choice to challenge a class.
Very important... mount it straight.... that might sound odd, but we have seen fairings that are not on straight, and those bikes don't usually  go straight
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Does it make sense in the big picture?  The rider will be travelling and maybe crashing at streamliner speeds without streamliner structural or rider protection.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 08:16:30 PM »
 :?
WW, don't all bikes run that risk?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 09:37:25 PM »
Would it even be legal? Check the rules for the class you want to run before you go forward.

Pete

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:14:53 PM »
Air tech and Catalyst have full aps legal fairing. They are basically for a Busa but can be mounted on anything. Kent(air tech) has a variety of fairings. It's up to you to make it work.
WW we with partial streamlining don't come close to streamline speeds. Joe Amo has the fastest one way speed on a sit on bike at272. There has never been a fatality, at Bonneville, on a sit on bike.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 12:43:24 AM »
The new streamlining rules in one organization and a well tuned ZX14 might be running in the high 200's.  A person really has to stand back and look before they leap.  Also, a basic question like this hints that a fellow is not quite ready for the situations they will encounter.  It worries me.  I know how difficult it is to do this stuff and remember the many mistakes I made in the initial learning period.  I was lucky to be on a real slow bike at the time.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 01:06:07 AM »
My initial impression was that the original poster was trying to build a streamliner similar to an upgraded and modernized World's Fastest Indian. It would be advantageous if he would come back on and clarify his enquiry so that he can get the assistance he needs.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
Back to what Stainless said - about crooked mounting of a full body:

The original iteration of the ZX12 "IceBreaker" bike was a Charlie Toy unit from Kent Riches.  After making numerous runs over a few years -- I kept noticing that the bike wanting to go right as I went down the course.  At first I thought it was from crosswinds, but eventually we realised that the bike always went right - so let's check the bodywork mounting.  Sure enough, just enough crookedness (to the right) that the rider (me) had to keep pressure on the bars to turn right - while leaning to the left so I'd go straight.  I've still got the belly pan showing some graving marks from where the taller crunchies got me for being leaned over so far.

Mount that bodywork straight, you hear? :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
It would be tough to beat a "Charlie Toy" fairing on a big bike. Check Airtech-streamlining.com for the specs.  The best one off fairing for a small bike I have seen is Tom Borchadt's BSA single.  He posts as the "KoncreteKid"