Author Topic: Suggestions for a better Bub meet  (Read 4747 times)

aswracing

Suggestions for a better Bub meet
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:31:24 PM »
OK, I'm sure y'all understand that you need more courses or some change in procedures to make things run more expeditiously, so I won't belabor that. Here are some other things I noticed that could use some work ...

1) It'd be nice to have a much larger impound area so that you can accomodate support vehicles. Some of us have very large toolboxes for example that are not easy to move. So if we've got to do a teardown, we need room for our truck & trailer to be nearby. The tech guys accomodated us by allowing the truck in an otherwise unallowed place with only a 30 foot walk or so to the trailer, and I thank them for that. But it sure seems like it ought to be in the plan. Any reason we can't just have an acre or so for impound and let us come in with our support vehicles like the other meets do?

2) A person dedicated to checking people in at impound would be very helpful. Maybe our timing was just bad, but t took us a long time after we got there to get to the right guy and figure out what we were supposed to do. Longer than the 10 minutes we supposedly had to get there from the 3 mile. And then there was no check-in procedure and no one wrote down the time as far as I could tell so how anyone would know if we had gone back to our pit and changed the motor, I don't know. It all seemed very odd. We got it done though, no big deal, file it under this-would-be-nice.

3) Lose the "security" detail, they're overdoing it and causing problems. Racers by and large are not there to cause problems and will readily comply with any reasonable request from an official. The kind of "security" I saw being administered belongs at a rock concert, not at a land speed race event. What a dramatic change from the first two years which seemed so laid back by comparison.

I thoroughly enjoyed the event again and I want to thank Denis and Delvene and all involved for putting it on. I realize it takes a big commitment on your part to do this, and I'm guessing there's not a whole lot of return. But y'all are making a big contribution to the sport (in my opinion). Some of us very much appreciate it and will continue to support it for as long as you'll have it.

aswracing

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:39:14 PM »
Great to meet you out there, Scott. Sounds like the awards thing was fun, wish I could've made it. Timbo represented us and gave out our award though. He's a 2 club member.

aswracing

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:12:54 AM »
The delays were kind of ironic. The first year, it was just as bad. The second year (last year) they ran pretty damn good. This year reminded me of the first year, lots and lots of waiting.

I really think they could solve 90% of the problem if they had a separate course for RWYB's. Doesn't have to be a full size course, either. At WOS they do something similar with the "130 club". They have a separate course with a mile run-up and then a 132 foot timing trap. Simple, out of the way, doesn't take a lot of space and doesn't get in the way of the folks going for records.

It also might be a good idea from a speed limiting point of view anyway. Do you really want a class with relaxed safety rules and less experienced racers running 200mph? 200 can be done on the short course, trust me. We ran 217 on the short course.

The comment about the security was due to an incident that happened to me, and other incidents related to me by people in our encampment. I won't go into details, but a person ought to be able to push his bike to impound for a tear-down without being harassed. That was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw at an LSR event, and official bound and determined to make a problem where there wasn't one. If a guy knows where he's going, leave him alone fercrissakes.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:45:56 PM »
Quote from: aswracing
I really think they could solve 90% of the problem if they had a separate course for RWYB's. Doesn't have to be a full size course, either. At WOS they do something similar with the "130 club". They have a separate course with a mile run-up and then a 132 foot timing trap. Simple, out of the way, doesn't take a lot of space and doesn't get in the way of the folks going for records.

It also might be a good idea from a speed limiting point of view anyway. Do you really want a class with relaxed safety rules and less experienced racers running 200mph? 200 can be done on the short course, trust me. We ran 217 on the short course.

The comment about the security was due to an incident that happened to me, and other incidents related to me by people in our encampment. I won't go into details, but a person ought to be able to push his bike to impound for a tear-down without being harassed. That was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw at an LSR event, and official bound and determined to make a problem where there wasn't one. If a guy knows where he's going, leave him alone fercrissakes.

I agree that a separate short course would give those guys more time to run, plus everyone else.

I think some of the security comments also pertained to the guy patrolling the "black line" and flagging when people stepped over it slightly during the streamliner runs.  He just went way over board with his job.

c ya, Sum

Offline Snail

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:35:45 PM »
I'd like to see the starter do it like the BNI folks.  Have the starter in front of the bike instead of remote, 200' off to the side.

Due to 'miscommunication' I was started prior to the track being cleared.

I filled out the written form included in my info packet, addressing this issue.  It nearly cost me a disqualification, but it could perhaps cost a life.

It was my first Bub event, and I was pleased with the overall way it was run.  People were trying to make it better, and adjusting as we went.  

'm looking forward to a bigger, better, and more fun event next year.

bak189

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2006, 08:46:16 PM »
I feel overall the BUB meet was a complete success......a few things need to be addressed.....
like Tech......like having the AMA Steward in Tech to handle problems.  Use CB to give the speeds
___EVERY TIME____........have printed time slips, something you can hang on the wall (not a piece of scrap paper, I wlll even pay to have them printed ).......PA system in the pits.....but Hey, I am sure these small items can and will be corrected for next year.  Many thanks to Delvene and all her helpers, and to Denis Manning for giving
M/C's a meet of their own.

landracing

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 11:12:32 PM »
One other thing I noticed was the event was more interested in running the Run Watcha Brung bikes then running the LSR bikes... There needs to be a distinction. While those vehicles got to run in a prime time of day, NO WIND and just perfect weather, the long course bike had to wait then the wind came up. PItty..

The BUB event was put on for a motorcycle Speed Event.

I noticed that one long course entrant waited for 25 short course runs before a NO WAITING line on the long course...

I understand everybody gets a chance... And streamliners get priority..

Communication system need to have primary system, then A backup system..

Also need to or should set a minimum percentage within record for a return run. There were people making a return run, even though they were 20-40 mph under the current record. This leads to getting time slips to the racers before they make a return run. Within 1% of current record seems to be a good number. Would have made lines go a little smoother.

A second course would be the option for Run Watcha Brung.

Or  a certain time frame of day. Lets say from 1:00 - 2:00 pm...

Just info for the meet directors.

I will say however, that with all the problems they had faced this year, failure of systems, huge draw in entries they DID pull it off and it was a great meet. Thanks ALL for your hard work.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 11:57:29 PM »
I got an e-mail from Bob Collier who worked as a volunteer track worker at the 8 mile location and he explains why it was slower the first couple days and then seemed to speed up.  It address one of the things you brought up Jon and he said I could post it, but wanted to remind everyone he is a volunteer and doesn't represent BUB Enterprises.

Here is what he had to say:

I would like to explain why the first 2 days seemed to move slow. The
problem was that all riders were making return passes even if they had no
chance at the record they were trying to break. What we did to fix this is
to have all riders return to an impound area in the pits to receive there
timing slips. Then there first run was compared with the record they were
trying to break to see if they were close enough to attempt a return pass.
On the third day we ran about 25 or 30 riders in the first hour, we were
averaging a run every 3 to 4 minutes. When we checked with impound they only
had 2 riders that wanted to make return passes. For the whole day I would
estimate we had about 20 return runs and most of them set a new record. Next
year we will start with system and hopefully run many more riders over the
course of next years event. This event is only 3 years old and we learn
every year how to make it better.

I guess we have to remember the event is only a couple years old and is still getting its legs under it.  I hope to go back even though I don't ride a bike (will I do have 2 out in the garage that will run again someday -- maybe on the salt).

Thanks Bob for the insight,

Sum

bak189

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 11:34:53 AM »
Jon, you should know that not all running on the shorter-course were Run Whatya Brung.  But I agree that if the communications had been better it might have gone a little more quickly.
They did have a radio back-up system...CB.....what needs to be done is use CB only with a repeater...
and a PA. system to cover the Pits. I am sure next years meet will be even better.