Author Topic: Open Invitation to 2016 DLRA Speed Week  (Read 7937 times)

Offline DLRA

• New folks
Open Invitation to 2016 DLRA Speed Week
« on: September 10, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »
The Dry Lakes Racers of Australia would like to offer an open invitation to any racer thinking about the adventure of a lifetime and coming to Australia to compete at the DLRA 2016 Speed Week.

We can provide expertise with vehicle transportation both from the US to Australia and within Australia, we can also advise on things like accommodation, car hire, provisions, directions. We have a number of fellow racers who are only too willing to help you achieve your dreams and goals.

By providing a point of focus, we are also looking to be able to make sharing arrangements and keep costs low.

With the Aussie dollar now down to 68 cents US, the exchange rate is definitely working in your favour.

We know your pain because we have been there ourselves.

Contact us at;
Dry Lakes Racers Australia
PO Box 349
Castlemaine VIC 3450
Ph:03 5472 4629
Fax: 03 5472 3194
secretary@dlra.org.au

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
Re: Open Invitation to 2016 DLRA Speed Week
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
What an offer, I haven't even thought about the logistics of traveling half-way around the world to go racing. That may be the only way we have on this side of the pond to go salt racing for a while.

So what all would it take to get from the Texas Gulf Coast, to Down-under, Logistically that is?

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:26:27 PM »
Jonnie, I think it is a little too far to trailer the bike and drive...  :roll:
Hopefully some of the folks from this side that went earlier will relay experience as well as the guys from there that come here to race.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline p46

• New folks
    • www.passmethesaltplease.dk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
Hi....Sounds great and it could be cool to try ride some Aussie salt, We do have plans for Bonneville 2016, and I think the time is to short to deal with the shipping for us. My guess is at least 2 month of journey for the bikes and that leaves only Okt. & Nov. to fix everything, bikes and transport...  Does anyone in here have any idea what the shipping cost from Denmark approximately could be and what is the closest port to send the bikes...

Salt greetings
John
Knuckle-John

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 06:19:36 PM »
Jonnie, I think it is a little too far to trailer the bike and drive...  :roll:
Hopefully some of the folks from this side that went earlier will relay experience as well as the guys from there that come here to race.

Know what you mean. I have crossed that pond before, 6 times, but never turned south while doing it, at least not that far south.

I also I kind-a wondered if you have to reset you tilt switch. :-D

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline maj

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 09:54:38 AM »
When we bring our bikes to run at Bonneville it takes about 5 weeks by ship, and costs about $3500 per bike, for the round trip from Melbourne to Oakland and back, Texas has a higher shipping cost because of the canal

Canet adds more cost, how much is dependant on the value of goods your moving, but makes port clearance much easier than importing and exporting

Lehmans in LA do our US side paperwork and Allports in Sydney the Australian

And i have imported cars through another company in Oakland that could be a good starting point if you wanted to ship somthing bigger than a bike

If i can get at least 4 bikes i get a dedicated 20ft container, less go general freight,  general freight is not as secure and takes longer to clear customs
usually a modified crate from a dealer is easiest way to pack the bike , Honda have a nice solid frame, but its wider than some, triumph have a stamped steel base that works good untill its damaged by a fork lift then becomes flimsy, i use both but the triumph has 1 1/4 rhs welded framing the underside of base

Adelaide would be the nearest port, but it may be easier or quicker to use Melbourne as its the bigger centre

Offline p46

• New folks
    • www.passmethesaltplease.dk
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi again Thanks for the reply....
We use the carnet when we ship from Dk - US. It should make everything easier but even with that it is a tough job to get true custom...Our bikes are packed in a wooden box made out of heat treated wood :-)   we use to buy space in a 20 foot container and we pay arround 4000 us dollar for two bikes...l'll give it some work and see what the prices will be....
Knuckle-John

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 05:25:35 AM »
Because Australia is isolated by sea from other countrys its import laws are pretty tuff. I would suggest that anyone thinking of freighting a motorcycle over look at using "all steel" crates. I have been told that anything "wood" is put thru a lengthy fumigation process before being allowed to clear customs,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline DLRA

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »
Here's a link to  some more information that I've put together for anyone thinking about making the trip.

http://www.dlra.org.au/international-visitors.htm

We have had a number of enquiries already, but nothing confirmed yet.
Remember this meet is DLRA rules, which are very similar to SCTA rules.
Unfortunately, we are not able to accommodate other organisations like FIM or AMA.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
Bump -- 'specially since the October EM event was rained-out.  Might as well give the land of Oz another thought. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com