Author Topic: Data Loggers.  (Read 6646 times)

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
Data Loggers.
« on: September 05, 2015, 05:16:45 PM »
With the rebuild of the Kawasaki ZX12 the time has come to start contimplating which Data Logger to purchase. Thinking that i will want to log, time, rpm, wheel speed, a/f, manifold pressure, oil temperture,  and probably a couple more things that dont come to mind at the moment..

Comment, Sugestions please,  :? :?
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline ronnieroadster

Re: Data Loggers.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
 Check out Computech data Logging. Everything your looking for they have in their system. The tech support is great and the cost for a system is not bad for what they offer.
     http://computech.com/
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline RansomT

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 11:10:25 PM »
I'm from the poor man's side of track.  I'm using the innovate daisy chain stuff.  Currently I am data logging; RPM, Throttle Position, Air Shifter engagement, Fuel Pressure, Bottle Pressure, overall AFR, 4 channels of EGTs, injector duty cycle, speed (via gps which is horrible), wheel speed kinda (having problems getting a good signal through the Suzuki hall sensor), and I have a couple of channels to spare.  My theory is not to spend more on the data accusation than the engine cost to replace.

Offline maj

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 09:21:12 AM »
AEM-AQ1  works well for us Ronnie, easily setup for a wide range and types of sensors , has GPS input for ground speed input too

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »
I'm from the poor man's side of track.  I'm using the innovate daisy chain stuff. ...

We can relate to that and also use Innovate....

.... to log 16 channels of data...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/13%20-%20hooley-construction-2013-29.html

...on Hooley's Stude.

Another option is MS3-Pro (megasquirt) by DIYAutoTune....

http://www.ms3pro.com/ms3-pro.html

.... which is an engine controller (Fuel and Spark) but also can data-log a lot of channels.  I plan on using it on the lakester and for $1200 can data log all that we are on the Stude plus have the fuel/spark covered as well with lots of options for even wastegate (turbo) control and control of other items.  You could use it as a stand alone data logger up front and add engine control later if so desired and get a data logger for about the same price as getting into Innovate and a lot less than others out there.  Lots of flexibility,

Sumner

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »
Thanks fellas, keep 'em coming  :-), i am going thru reading up on what has been suggested.

Greg, are you up there or down here (hemisphere)  :?,,

Offline maj

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 09:59:25 AM »
Up there for a few more weeks

We use the innovate a lot too now out of production DL32 , i think its software is more user friendly but the Aq1 has more logging in one box  its better sealed,  and space is so limited on a bike i dont want too many add ons if i can help it,
The innovate serial connectors dont like salt either, did not take long to begin using the 0-5v inputs in preference to the serial inputs

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
    • Paul Powell Performance
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 02:16:02 PM »
What ECM are you using?
We do a whole lot of motorcycles with standalones and with stock ECM's.
Racepak if you are using a stock ECM and if you are using an aftermarket then you should be able to do everything through the ECM.
If you have questions call me.
Paul Powell
(252) 452-4998
Paul Powell
Paul Powell Performance L.L.C.
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:33:00 PM »
The AEM AQ-1 does a LOT for $400. Plus it's expandable to work with all AEM engine management systems should you ever decide to go stand alone.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 02:02:50 AM »
At one time I used an innovate multiple component system.  The wires connecting everything together did not have uniform color coding, white wire connected to blue wire, etc.  The setup was a rats nest of delicate wiring.  My goal would be to find a single component to do what I need in order to keep the wiring and associated problems to a minimum.

Offline stay`tee

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 05:38:28 AM »
What ECM are you using?
We do a whole lot of motorcycles with standalones and with stock ECM's.
Racepak if you are using a stock ECM and if you are using an aftermarket then you should be able to do everything through the ECM.
If you have questions call me.
Paul Powell
(252) 452-4998

Stock ECM with PC3,,

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 10:29:51 AM »
There are many very good systems out there to chose from. The big deciding point sould be the software. I would recommend that you download the software for any system you are interested in and spend some qulity time with it. Make sure it can do what you are expecting, such as; How many channels can it display at one time, is it easy to compare data from different runs, can you create math channels from the existing data, how easy is it to change things like the scale, offset and even the colors of the lines.

Typically the hardware is fairly comparable between manufacturers, it is the software and user interface that makes the difference between a system that is easy to use and get the information you want.

Second to software, or maybe equal; what it the maximum sample rate and how many channels can be recorded at that rate. If you have a logger that only gets 10 samples per second, you can miss out on a lot of information.

After narrowing the selection down to a couple of potential loggers, make a few phone calls to their Tech line and ask some questions. Tech support is another of the major qualifiers when making your decision. Some companies offer some really good prices on the system, but don't spend the necessary resources on personnel for Tech support.

This would be my check list for choosing a logger;
1. Software ease of use and functionality
1a. Logging sample rate vs number of channels
2. Tech support
3. Size of components (especially for a motorcycle)
4. Cost of basic system
5. Cost of expansion (sensors or expansion modules)
6. Are there other systems being used in your type of racing (if you're the one guy with that system on the lake bed, you won't be finding anyone that might be able to help you if Tech Support can't be reached)

You'll probably find that what you think you need today will not be enough next year. Get something that can grow with your experience.

Here are a few systems I have used on motorcycles;

AEM - always a good product with good Tech Support
Edelbrock QwikData2 - Logger is on the large side for a bike, but not too bad - decent Tech Support
RacePak - also on the large side for a bike, but proven hardware and software - lots of other racers out there to call on for help
2D - Probably the best on the market on hardware/software for a motorcycle, but you will pay dearly for it.
Motec - Also very good, but very pricey.
AimSport - Probably the best bang for the buck, but unless they have changed their loggers recently, they are limited on sample rate per channel. At least on the more affordable systems.

JW
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F