Author Topic: 400mph automobiles (wheeldriven) - piston engined  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

400mph automobiles (wheeldriven) - piston engined
« on: September 02, 2015, 11:45:29 AM »
Can this forum help me.  Maybe I cannot count! :-o

Danny Thompson (Challenger II) claims (at least that is how he is being reported in Racer) to be the twelfth driver of a piston engined automobile to go over 400 mph on a record bid (mile I assume).

I cannot get to twelve names. This is my 'piston' list so who is missing? This should be in a chronological order ..............

UPDATED - now able to list all twelve!! :cheers: Rick White added.

John Cobb, RIP (single run, of an FIA Outright record)
Mickey Thompson, RIP (single run, no record - twice!)
Bob Summers, RIP (SCTA and FIA record holder and World's fastest)
Nolan White, RIP (SCTA and FIA)
Al Teague (SCTA and FIA record holder and World's fastest)
Rick White (single run of an FIA attempt)
Tom Burkland (FIA)
George Poteet (SCTA and FIA records and world's fastest with pistons, 439mph)
Charles Nearburg (FIA)
Mike Nish (FIA)
Amir Rosenbaum (FIA)
Danny Thompson (single run, of an USFRA/SCTA attempt)

And we should not forget that in the automobile category, but with gas turbine power, there are:

** Donald Campbell, RIP (FIA record holder and first to hold a 400mph wheeldriven record)
*** Don Vesco, RIP (still the world's fastest with an automobile, 458 mph)

UPDATED: So I get the twelve piston powered drivers and, with two turbines, a total of 14 drivers.  :-)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:04:15 PM by Malcolm UK »
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: 400mph automobiles (wheeldriven) - piston engined
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 12:03:41 PM »

I cannot get to twelve names. This is my 'piston' list so who is missing? This should be in a chronological order ..............

John Cobb, RIP (single run, of an FIA Outright record)
Mickey Thompson, RIP (single run, no record - twice!)
Bob Summers, RIP (SCTA and FIA record holder and World's fastest)
Al Teague (SCTA and FIA record holder and World's fastest)
Nolan White, RIP (SCTA and FIA)
Tom Burkland (FIA)
Amir Rosenbaum (FIA)
Charles Nearburg (FIA)
George Poteet (SCTA and FIA records and world's fastest with pistons, 439mph)
Mike Nish (FIA)
Danny Thompson (single run, of an USFRA/SCTA attempt)

"This should be in a chronological order .............."

Almost, Nolan went 400 a day before Al...

Regarding the rest of the list I can't think of who would bw missing.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:14:16 PM »
Thanks Michael for the correction, now made.

Anyone provide the additional person?

Online TrickyDicky

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »
Malcolm,

The names in your list are correct.  Danny Thompson is the 13th over 400 mph wheel-driven and the 11th if the list is restricted to piston engines.

However, the chronological order has gone awry after Tom Burkland.  I think it should be:

George Poteet
Charles Nearburg
Mike Nish
Amir Rosenbaum

Also, regarding Mickey Thompson: what is the evidence that he did it twice?  Challenger 1, 406.60 mph, yes.  Presumably the other one is with the Autolite Streamliner in the late '60s, but I can find no convincing evidence that he achieved a timed mile (or kilometre) at an average speed greater than 400 mph at that time.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 03:58:19 PM »
Firstly, many thanks to Tom Burkland for taking the time to let me know the details of the missing name, which is Rick White, who ran 402 mph one way only during an FIA attempt. The car was the single engined version of the Autopower car which of course went so much better in a development configuration with father Nolan at the controls.

All I need to do is put the names in the 'correct' order and number them 1 to 12. :cheers:

I believe that there is sufficient information to confirm that Mickey did go over 400mph on a one way pass in the Autolite Special; the car that has now become Danny's Challenger II.  If anyone has the run details that would be good.  Of course this drive does not add to the twelve names. 

That will take one of the newer piston powered cars should the salt flats ever become usable for the fastest cars driven through their wheels. Of course we should not forget that the Slaughter team in OZ may add a record before then in a turbine class.

Online TrickyDicky

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
Apologies for not knowing about Rick White being a member of this exclusive group.  Can you share details of the run (date, speed, distance, etc.)? Was it part of the successful record attempt on 1 October 1990 (384.738 mph for the mile) or a separate run?

My conclusion on the Autolite Special is strongly guided by the following on the thompsonlsr web site:

Compared to the blunt Yankee hotrod character of the Challenger I, the Challenger II was a technological tour-de-force, a rolling textbook in sophisticated 1960's automotive design. Designed by Kar Kraft and assembled by a team of elite California hot rodders, the two-engined vehicle, cigar-shaped and clad in a skin of hand formed aluminum, was built at a blistering pace and rolled out the back doors of Mickey’s shop after just five months of construction. Early function testing proved extremely propitious, and the crew celebrated trial speeds approaching 400 mph. Their delight was abruptly transformed into despair when an unseasonal storm submerged their course at Bonneville, necessitating the cancellation of further tests and making a record attempt that year impossible. They were disappointed, but fully intended to return the next year, when another hammer fell. The heavy support provided by Ford Motors, Gulf Oil, and Reynolds Aluminum evaporated seemly overnight as American’s big three auto manufacturers decided to pull back from racing in 1969. Mickey, anxious to preserve his thriving speed equipment business, mothballed the project as he focused on drag racing and the blossoming off-road scene.

If there was a run above 400 mph it seems odd that Danny does not mention it.

Online TrickyDicky

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »
Malcolm,

Just seen your latest edit.  My guess is that Rick White should come before the three asterisks representing Don Vesco.  :roll: