Author Topic: What does the future hold?  (Read 33192 times)

Offline woz

What does the future hold?
« on: August 31, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
I assume many are wondering what may be in the future for land speed racing on the salt as we know it?

I feel terrible for the SCTA, USFRA amongst others and all the competitors that spend small (and large) fortunes designing and building machines that can only operate in a few places being shut out again.

I always try to be an optimist but realistically, should the salt simply not "improve" by whatever means, what are the other options such as Alvord, Edwards etc. for the real fast cars to run on?

Let's all hope things are much better in 2016.  For me, just a cancelled hotel, plane flight and car - for the racers and organizations - way, way more painful.

Woz

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: What does the future hold?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 01:46:19 AM »
It's my hope that the mud will settle - both on the salt and in the ongoing conjecture - that we racers find one-voice based in authoritative and timely information and facts, and that the salt will heal.

Sir Malcolm Campbell wrote, in 1936 -

"The Bonneville Salt Flats are, so far as I know, the only spot on the face of the earth where one can be assured of a straight-away run on a dead flat surface under conditions which will allow a speed of 300 m.p.h. and upwards being achieved in comparative safety."

70 years later, I think bringing Campbell's impression of the salt back to a reality is a goal worth working toward.

Perhaps cars can run record speeds at Alvord or Edwards, but they'll never be "Bonneville Records".
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online jl222

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 03:23:26 AM »
It's my hope that the mud will settle - both on the salt and in the ongoing conjecture - that we racers find one-voice based in authoritative and timely information and facts, and that the salt will heal.

Sir Malcolm Campbell wrote, in 1936 -

"The Bonneville Salt Flats are, so far as I know, the only spot on the face of the earth where one can be assured of a straight-away run on a dead flat surface under conditions which will allow a speed of 300 m.p.h. and upwards being achieved in comparative safety."

70 years later, I think bringing Campbell's impression of the salt back to a reality is a goal worth working toward.

Perhaps cars can run record speeds at Alvord or Edwards, but they'll never be "Bonneville Records".

Bville salt flats [the salt] was formed from the evaporation of a great salt lake over thousands of years or more, no way can it heal itself.

The salt has been denuded by the mining company the same way the forests used to be by the logging companies
  Logging companies are now required to replant. Whats the difference.

Trouble is I don't think anyone representing us has a clue how much area 10.7m tons of salt (supposedly deposited) covers
at 4inches thick.

JL222

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 07:54:07 AM »
According to Wikipedia (and I have read about this elsewhere so it might be true):
In 1934 a proposal was made with the support of Malcolm Campbell, the famous racing driver and world speed record holder, to build a 15 mile long racetrack on reclaimed land from Boston to Gibraltar Point, near Skegness. The race track would have also been used as a road to the resort of Skegness when there was no racing. There was also to be a long lake for boat racing inside the track loop.

Perhaps it's time to dust off those plans? :|

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 08:48:43 AM »
Hey  we race boats on an artificial lake here in the desert--Why not?

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline woz

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:56:13 AM »
I would imagine that running a very fast car for several miles on pavement would be pretty frightening.  I was looking at property in the Wendover area....many, many acres of very inexpensive desert land available outside of Wendover.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 10:57:50 AM by woz »

Offline crawford

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 11:46:35 AM »
Do not give up hope, the salt flats will be there for at least 100 more years! and cheap desert land, ok.......
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 01:23:26 PM »
I have always wondered how much it would cost to build a 10 mile stretch of concrete track say 14 feet wide? Anybody in the road building business.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 01:25:58 PM »
I have always wondered how much it would cost to build a 10 mile stretch of concrete track say 14 feet wide? Anybody in the road building business.

Not very wide to go really fast, maybe OK for Harley fast?
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »
Some Roadsters are longer than 14 feet.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 01:53:58 PM »
Today at 4:00 PM there is a large gathering of people, BLM, Intreped, the save the salt.org the city of Wendover Nevada and Utah, a group  from Salt Lake city and BYU. and several others. This will include a tour of the salt to show the problem areas, the meeting in town follows. The Governors office and other people from high places are invited. Lets wait to hear the results from this tour and meeting before making any other judgements.
Glen Barrett
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline tauruck

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 01:59:26 PM »
Gotta go with Glen on this one.

Nice positive thoughts guys.
Have faith. :cheers:

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »
I agree positive thoughts along with four leaf clovers and fingers crossed plus Rosemary beads hanging in the window in the direction of the Salt Flats. Looking forward to the update from Glen.  :-)
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »

Not very wide to go really fast, maybe OK for Harley fast?

Ok so make it 25 ft wide.  I don't care. just wondering how much it would cost. i have heard a million dollars a mile.  is that about right?

Offline joea

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »
25 ft...?...Harley's must be more stable and have better drivers than anyone else ..

Ps might be great for some ...but have fun waiting for tire tech to allow relatively fast flying Mile and kilo