Author Topic: El Mirage September 2015  (Read 16657 times)

Offline vwpsycho

• Potter Bros Racing
El Mirage September 2015
« on: August 30, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »
With the cancellation of every event at Bonneville in 2015, we've decided to give El Mirage a try. The upcoming September 12-13 meet looks good for us.
Only problem, is that there is no information readily available on the scta-bni website for anyone who actually wants to enter one of their events. No entry form, nor any trace of entry fee info that I can find.
Are El Mirage events open for entries?  :?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction.

Abe
Abe Potter
Salt Lake City
2571 G/PS Volkswagen Passat

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: El Mirage September 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 12:16:27 AM »
guest can run but not set records if you want to set a record you must join a club that has provisions for out of state members---I am a Gear Grinder who do have out of state members
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:56:58 AM »
Abe,

We at the Scta are very unhappy that both of our events (Speed Week & World Finals) but also the USFRA (World of Speed) event had to be cancelled. Most of you good LSR folks on this site know, what the reasons for the cancellations is. Needles to say between our association, BNI, USFRA, Save the Salt, Utah Coalitions and others, we are trying our hardest to finally use the bad BSF conditions and negative press to our advantage. Please keep on supporting all of us in this effort.

Regarding the upcoming September 13th event at El Mirage:
To compete at an El Mirage event you either have to be a Current Member at one of our 11 Scta clubs, or enter as a Guest.
Entry fee as a Scta Club Member is $ 100.00. Entry Fee as a Guest is $ 150.00. Big difference between the two types of entries is:
As a Guest, you are not permitted to run on any of our currently established El Mirage Records. I believe you are OK to enter in a
specific class (with all Scta requirements for it), but your runs will be only counted as Time Only.

We understand that that specific fact, makes a long trip to El Mirage and the associated costs not as much fun.
To join the Scta most clubs have rules, where new members would have to attend at least one, but as many as 3 club meetings,
before they can get voted in by their membership.
Since there are still 3 more El Mirage events this year and the fact that all Bonneville events were cancelled, I have personally spoken
to 3 Club Presidents yesterday, who have agreed to be willing and work with some of you prospective new Scta Club Members.
They will try and get you folks voted in before the September El Mirage meeting. Make sure you have some references ready, before you call them. They want to help and induct racers. Don't procrastinate and wait to contact them. It will take several days to get this accomplished.
The 3 Clubs are:
"Eliminators" President: Lance Rose
"San Diego Roadster Club" President: Jill Iverson
"Rod Riders" President: Tony Huntimer

Find their contact info at:  http://www.scta-bni.org/clubs.html   or in Section 17, Page 197 of the 2015 Scta/Bni Rule Book

If you are not sure your vehicle is legal and conforms to our Scta rules, please contact the Chief Car or M/C Tech or Committee Chairs.

Info can be found at:   http://www.scta-bni.org/contact.html   or in Section 16, Page 194 of the 2015 Scta/Bni Rule Book

You can also find my info at the last 2 locations. Feel free to call or e-mail me with questions.
Looking forward seeing you folks out at Elmo,

Mike Spacek

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 03:07:44 PM »
a couple more points of info . . .

There are no pre-entries -- either for guests or SCTA members.  You're given an entry blank when in line for inspection.

One reason guests are not allowed record runs is that almost all the duties of putting on the El Mirage meets are done by the SCTA volunteer members.  The clubs have set assignments and all members have duties throughout the year.  These events take a lot of manpower and wouldn't be possible without everyone joining in. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:15:36 PM »
Abe,

The following information is specific to the San Diego Roadster Club but is probably similar to other SCTA Clubs:

SDRC does accept out of state members. The biggest issue is performing Patrol Duties, but if you only run El Mirage a couple of time each year this is waived.

You are required to attend 3 LSR events or Club meetings. You do not have to attend a Club Meeting, so 3 trips to Bonneville as racer, crew or spectator would qualify. You would need to join SCTA as well as SDRC for the first year, thus the cost of running El Mirage as a guest might be a little cheaper than joining a Club, but if you want to run for a record then membership is the only option.

Our next Club meeting (and membership vote)  is this Thursday so time is tight.

I hope one of the SCTA Clubs works out for you.

Tom

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:23:58 PM »
Don't you need to run your first event as a rookie, and are not eligible for records anyway?

If I dont get into a club for this event, will running as a guest/rookie fulfill my rookie event also?
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 11:21:59 PM »
Yes,yes and yes but all final decisions are made by the race director
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 12:11:10 AM »
Mike, LSR racing at El Mirage is pretty "localized".  Bonneville was the big, nationwide and international draw.  Maybe some changes could be considered down Elmo way to allow more participation.

I was on the salt Sunday and you don't need a crystal ball to see the future for larger events at the BSF.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:18:04 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 12:50:40 AM »
Makr,

Brian is correct. Just got of the phone with Race Director / President Bill Lattin. He confirmed what Brian said.
It all depends on the current record or minimum you are running on. (Btw: Minimums can be found on the Scta website, under the Forms & Docs link, 1/2 way down on right side. Records are on the website home page, under the El Mirage link on very top of page).

For example, if you are running on a slower speed record, lets say 140 Mph. After completing the Rookie Orientation and making a successful Rookie run below the 150 Mph Speed Limit, the Rookie Orientation official and Race Director CAN sign you off, to go ahead and attempt a record run from that point forward.

If the record you would be running on is higher, you will have to make licensing runs, until you get within the necessary speed your anticipated record is in. Situations like these require for the Starter to sign off and Dan Warner to issue a license.

As Brian mentioned, the Race Director has the final say and Bill is about as Racer Friendly as you will ever find.
You guys want to go racing, come out to El Mirage and let's have some fun.
Mike

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
FWIW when I did RO, I generally did NOT cut rookies loose to go after records on one day events.  When we revised the RO program, the idea was to get drivers seat time on the race course to gain familiarity with how things work at El Mirage.  This was in response to a very large increase in infractions (out of bounds mostly) that was possibly threatening our ability to continue to use the lakebed should there ever be an accident.  Anyways, for a two day meet like May or November, I typically had no problem letting someone go for their record (if they were close) on Sunday after making good runs on Saturday.  Of the small handful of racers that I did let go for records, I think only one ever actually set a record.  There's some history for you.  Someone else does RO now so it's up to them to decide.  My emphasis was always on safe driving/riding and that records come second to that. 

BTW we were out testing last weekend.  The lakebed looks pretty good.   
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 12:21:20 PM »
Nathan,
Thanks for clarifying your position on this matter. You are absolutely correct, that all the hard work you and your dad put
into the Rookie Orientation program made a Big difference, in how safe our new El Mirage competitors were.
Thanks for using your discretion on making some exceptions for a few competitors back then.
I remember some of the racers you did that for, specially Ali Youngblood from SLC, UT. The Youngblood's had run their roadster
several years out at Bonneville, before bringing it to Elmo for a try. Same reason from what I remember, WF was rained out
and they wanted to run some more.
You made there day, when you signed off on letting them run on the record. And Ali did, she got the record !!!!! Well done !!!!
I know Dan was glad to certify this one for sure.

With our September meet usually not being very big on entries, hopefully all can get in enough runs. If Bill and the RO official
feel comfortable enough to let some slower speed / well behaving competitor go for a record run, that will be their decision.
As you stated, Safety is and should always be the #1 factor on making that decision.
Thanks for all your hard work Nathan,

Mike

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 02:48:43 PM »
Hi Folks,

after WoS is unfortunately for all racer and the USFRA also a no go,

I will come to El Mirage....I will arrive at Victorville on Friday afternoon....Texican was so kind and took care that I got a stay in a Motel in Victorville...

Now I have a small problem...this will be the first time that I can be at El Mirage....checking the map I couldn't figure out where I have to go to find the entrance to the lake bed...

I only know it is maybe 40 minutes to drive from my Motel....

Also, I understand....Saturday will be inspection day....Sunday is race day....so I like to be there also for the inspection day to get familiar with the place...I will bring my big lens, this time....

So, who stays also at Victorville and could help me to find the way there....if someone can guide me...means I follow him...or maybe will be my passenger and can show me the way....I think my GPS (Garmin) will get trouble to find this place....

Please let me know...send me an PM if you can help

Thanks in advance

Looking for to seeing you at the lake bed

Pork Pie
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:50:35 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
Here's a link to the official El Mirage site with a map . . .

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/mirage.html

There's a big SCTA sign right on the El Mirage Road entrance.  It's the only entrance -- you can't miss it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 1leg

Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline 1leg

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »

When you get on the dry lake bed stay to the Right hand side. You will see others heading out just follow them. DO NOT DRIVE BETWEEN ANY CONES or you will be on the race track. Same deal a Bonneville.

Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17