Author Topic: Cook's FIM/AMS Speed Trials Info  (Read 33289 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: Cook's FIM/AMS Speed Trials Info
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
I am hoping Bob Dalton- Jackson- Mayer will be running there

Not sure if you saw that cars ARE NOT going to be running for records at the event.  Just test and tune one way.

Motorcycles only for records.
I am aware. However, there are still things to be learned from  a test and tune deal.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
Hey Rouse..............you raced the Texas Mile...........did you set a record?????? Did they test your fuel....Did they measure the engine dis placement??????................Just want to know.........................

No they didn't at the Texas Mile and I didn't expect them to. They run more or less a run what you brung type of an event, call it what you want, but they do in fact have a very strict entry safety tech, and if it don't meet the standards set out for the type vehicle you plan to run, you fix it or go home.

I did run the same PP bike with the same gas that I ran at Bonneville PP, CVO Dyna, Harley-Davidson. That bike went 152.5 in the mile at Texas, still had Rick Golds gas and seal on the Tank.

It went 154.081 and 152.570 for a 153.325 record at Bonneville SW, and yes it went through the complete tech thing, before and after setting the record there.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline baron

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2015, 08:07:35 PM »
So that's what this is about? Motus motorcycles? Don't they have their own thread? I seem to remember that. This thread was about Cooks meet. I am hoping Bob Dalton- Jackson- Mayer will be running there. That is why I am reading this thread about Cool's Speed Trials.

Well then sir, how about some Cook news. For those who are intrigued by the small displacement stuff. We are running our 'Special Construction Partially Streamlined' motorcycle at the Cooks event two weeks from now. We traditionally have run at the BUBS/BMST events, 6 times over the last 9 years but with its cancellation i am pressed to gather some more data as this bike is a test bed for my 125cc Streamliner. The motor and many of the current systems will transfer over this fall thus the necessity to get on the salt now.
Our current AMA record is 149.907mph in APS-AG trim. The bike has run as quick as 155 mph and will hopefully crack 160 this year with the help of the good folks at the AMA and the Cooks event.
It houses hub center steering, a 15.75 inch diameter aluminum front wheel, is 134" long, 32 inches high, 19.0 wide and weighs 225 pounds. It's powered by a 46HP Rotax-Aprilia motor. The bodywork has a C of D of .243 as measured at the A2 wind tunnel.
Photos here,   https://www.facebook.com/kolblandspeedracing you don't have to be a member of facebook to see them. if my feeble attempt of adding a link did not work the facebook page is 'Kolb Land Speed Racing'

A note about the AMA; They have busted our balls many times as far as the rules go to keep our ever reaching ideas in line as we walk a fine line between legal and not. I have the utmost respect for there methods and record keeping. It seems peculiar to continue bringing up what may or may not have been a mistake in the past.

-DW230 wrote; In fact one of them hide an easter egg tech problem on his bike and it was not found.-

I was unable to find a rule stating an Easter egg was not allowed on the bike. Hmmmm.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:39:46 AM by baron »

Offline thenav

• New folks
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2015, 08:19:48 PM »
Hi Dan,

Thanks for clearing up a few things. I'm happy to see that you are happy with the operational and technical teams at BMST. I've always found them to be a great crew too.

I just want to be clear...
FIM and 2Club
1. FIM entries, that meet 2 club criteria, set at BMST, a previous BUB event, or at a Mike Cook event are acceptable for consideration for club membership.
2. The reason that FIM entries from BMST or BUB are "OK" is because that team holds the competitors to the rigorous standards of FIM by ensuring compliance with rules, and the saftey/operational aspects of the meet for FIM are top-notch?
AMA and 2Club
3. AMA records are being excluded from 2club consideration because of personal experiences being voiced on this forum?
3a. Moving forward, do you have any specifics or criteria for getting the AMA records considered for the 2 club?

As for Lorig, I've been wanting to attend and hope to next year. Since I haven't seen their operation in person, I can't really comment on their operational capabilities.

Thanks! :-D

At BMST there is a FIM representative on site to certify the records. The tech and certification workers are under his supervision and he can deny a record if there is a problem with the bike. In addition to the technical part of the event he must oversee the operational side, ensure the timing and course set up meets FIM standards, etc. I have absolutely no problem with Drew and the others who work the event. Take the time to research all the threads on the site that followed each BUB, now BMST, event in the past. You will see a lot of personal experiences that were unsatisfactory to the competitors.

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2015, 09:14:01 PM »
baron, great build! I 'liked' your page. Good luck and can't wait to see how you guys do at Cook's and with the streamliner build.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2015, 10:19:27 PM »
Scott Kolb, I will be watching your progress. I am building a center hub steering bike too. Yours is beautiful and shows excellent machining and engineering. Good luck at the Cooks event.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline dw230

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2015, 12:08:14 AM »
thenav,

Items 1 & 2 are correct.
Item 3 is incorrect. The suggestion to the Bonneville 200 MPH Club was made by very experienced motorcycle competitor and head of the Club's m/c committee from the first BUB meet. This forum does not hold any power over the Club's decisions. May I suggest again that you do some research on this site and review threads beginning with the first BUB meet.
Item 4 The Club will continue, with Delvene's approval, with the observation program I described earlier.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
I will be very surprised if Delvene has any interest in any further cooperation with the 2 club after this.  Do you even realize how arrogant you sound DW when you say this:

"Item 4 The Club will continue, with Delvene's approval, with the observation program I described earlier."

The BMST is sanctioned by both the FIM and AMA who are the premier leaders in motorcycle racing in world.  You are going to observe them and decide if they are worthy of your approval??  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 11:49:00 AM by nrhs sales »

Offline thenav

• New folks
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
Thanks Dan,

Thank for clarifying.

ThENaV

thenav,

Items 1 & 2 are correct.
Item 3 is incorrect. The suggestion to the Bonneville 200 MPH Club was made by very experienced motorcycle competitor and head of the Club's m/c committee from the first BUB meet. This forum does not hold any power over the Club's decisions. May I suggest again that you do some research on this site and review threads beginning with the first BUB meet.
Item 4 The Club will continue, with Delvene's approval, with the observation program I described earlier.

DW

Offline joea

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
The Kolb effort is stupendous..!...certainly highlights one of the areas on rules allowances that differs greatly between SCTA and the newer  AMA rules (new AMA rules adopted with advent of BUB meets) ...ie. the front of bike aero ,  the ability to have front fairing extend beyond front tire and enclose front wheel

Will be appreciating Kolb team efforts and all those attending !!

Joe

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2015, 03:48:03 PM »
The Kolb effort is stupendous..!...certainly highlights one of the areas on rules allowances that differs greatly between SCTA and the newer  AMA rules (new AMA rules adopted with advent of BUB meets) ...ie. the front of bike aero ,  the ability to have front fairing extend beyond front tire and enclose front wheel
Yeah..........tell me about it.  :-(
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline baron

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the kind words. The AMA rules for 'special construction partial streamlining' allow for two very important things and it's the reason i made the AMA as our chosen path to building a 200MPH 125cc streamliner.
One; I wanted the current bike to be a development platform for a Streamliner. Anyone that can build a 'special construction' bike can, whether they know it or not, build a streamliner. Its a bigger project but it involves the same stuff, frame modification/construction and custom bodywork. So why not encourage the builders to get their feet wet in special construction with a clear view to the next step. It seems to be a natural stepping stone so why would you have the 'special construction' rules follow what are essentially 'road racing' rules for the front fairing dimensions? I have heard the argument about safety and the effects of side winds but if its really windy are you really going to run?
Two; The AMA rules allow for the fastest bike possible within its class, period.

The AMA rules mean that 35% of the current bike will transfer to the new streamliner having already been tested no less than twice if not more in real Bonneville conditions. I do understand a new bike is a new bike and needs to be sorted but having a good understanding of that 35% will go a long way. My plan is also based on budget so it works for me and in the end will hopefully not lead us down a dead end. Now back to laying up some carbon fibre.......

Whoops forgot to mention, AMA does not allow the front fairing to drop below the front axle. And if anyone was wondering why we place such importance on the bore and stroke that is 125cc magic this link will take you there; http://kolblsr.blogspot.com/2014/01/why-125cc.html Again i have no idea if that link will work. you may need to cut and paste.

Cheers,
Scott

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »
Why would you think Dan arrogant?  He is charged with keeping the integrity of the club.  It is very arrogant to state that any organization is somehow more important or "legit" than a club (just because it is run by volunteers?)  If the 2 club is not legit to you than why would you care how they run it.   I have gone 290 just to pull my chute and coast through the 4 at 276 on a record return run.  I only set the record at the 2 however so my record is only 212.  This is short of the 260 min for my class thus I am not in the club....  Yes 260 minimum to get into the 200 club,  but hey it is what it is.  I understand and appreciate the standards to which the club adheres toand recognize accomplishments but also to not take away from others accomplishments.

Offline dw230

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2015, 09:51:30 AM »
Thanks Eddie.

My statement "with Delvene's approval"  is already done. My conversation with her in 2014 resulted in the observation program. We are one year into the period and I have not heard from her. Do you speak for her NHRS?

The reason the Club adheres to their by-laws and membership requirements is to preserve the history and integrity of it's members. It is often said "if it was easy everyone would do it". My personal story, it took me 41 years to gain membership and I did that by .851 over the minimum. I would say the Club hit that one pretty close.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2015, 03:27:26 PM »
Michigan guys on the way to the salt Sunday 0600.

Pending any phone calls, we are on the way tomorrow morning to attend Mikes meet next week.
Mercedes 300SL Gullwing 3.0L 4 valve Mercedes inline highly developed and proven.  Looking for the last step to be ready out of the box next year.
If anyone hears anything good or bad please phone of txt me.
313 3198544  We are taking a leisure 4 days to make the trip stopping at the sprint car museum tomorrow.....

Hope to see a bunch of you on the salt this week.
Rick