Author Topic: overstock.com leathers  (Read 5179 times)

Offline altamont boozer

• New folks
overstock.com leathers
« on: August 24, 2015, 02:13:28 AM »
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/2-piece-Motorcycle-Riding-Racing-Track-Suit-Padding-All-Leather-Drag-Suit/8119994/product.html?refccid=4ZHK46KHERDZXHSCPIR2U5ON3A&searchidx=2&option=11326314

when I found out that I had "outgrown" the set of leathers I planned to borrow, I couldn't resist the price on them.  They're probably made from drops, which explains the wacky patterns, and why my wife thinks I now look like a power ranger.

Does anyone else find it irritating that the rule book says "limited perforations"? I do now,
because I emailed Matt Shuss and he said:
"Those perforations are not allowed, except in an area of about 3" x 4" in each armpit.
You may sew leather on the inside of the suit to cover the areas outside the 3" x 4" area.
That would be the easiest way to fix them.
The leather patches must be sewn on, not glued on."

I guess I should quit bitching and get to my local leather guy, the amount of lead time and money I saved over a custom suit is still worth it. I just didn't want anyone to show up at tech and get denied.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:24:14 AM by altamont boozer »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: overstock.com leathers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:26:59 AM »
Joey D. had a similar experience--they borrowed a commercial sewing machine---  went to the Fabric Barn for some correct thickness
 Let them out--
replaced the "hole punched panels"

Hadn't thought about power rangers but that was about what he had---but he raced and the price was right!!

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 09:50:33 AM »

Does anyone else find it irritating that the rule book says "limited perforations"? I do now,
because I emailed Matt Shuss and he said:
"Those perforations are not allowed, except in an area of about 3" x 4" in each armpit...

AB, would you prefer to be on fire inside and outside your leathers or just on the outside while you try decide how you are going to get away from it?  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 01:53:48 PM »
AB, would you prefer to be on fire inside and outside your leathers or just on the outside while you try decide how you are going to get away from it?

Has that ever actually happened as the 2 folks that have been used as examples for that scenario have both denied that is what happened.  Both have said they were burned due to the sweat inside their leathers boiling, not from flames getting through the perforations.

BMST/Bubs has been going for 10 years now and there has not been one case of someone being badly burned due to perforations in their leathers (which are allowed) and I have yet to read of any case in road racing of folks being burned like the example you are saying due to perforations.

If I am wrong please show me a factual case.

Offline mc2032

• Reliability and performance are highly overrated.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:54:40 PM »
It cost me about 50 bucks to have my leathers made compliant at the local boot/shoe repair place.  Took him about a day to stitch them up, looked professional and passed tech easily.  I dunno, but 50 bucks is a whole lot cheaper'n a skin graft.  And I also have a set of Kevlar long undies under my leathers, again, cheaper'n a skin graft.
#1032 1350 A, APS-PBG & F, #1000 I/BFL.  My number is 241.273.

Offline altamont boozer

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:15:31 AM »
stainless, I'm not irritated about the safety aspect of the perforations. I'm all for safety, I wear a -20 firesuit in my FED when it only has to be a -15.  I'm irritated about the vagueness of the rule. If I can email an inspector and get a definitive answer, why can't they just write that in the book so I don't have to bother them and they don't have to fail other newbies at tech that didn't send the email?

Along the lines of sweat boiling, I think we need an umbrella girl with towels, aerosol deodorant, and gold bond powder at the starting line.  :-D

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:59:17 AM »
Check out Tony's avatars :-D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:05:03 AM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »
AB, my old leathers had perforation vents that had to be blocked as well... the rule 7.C.2 seems fairly clear... limited perforations or cloth panels are allowed at the armpits and behind the knee.  12 square inches (3 x 4 or about the size of the inspectors palm) per panel.  
Are you reading from a 2015 Book?

As for the umbrella girl... we look forward to ogling the one you bring  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline altamont boozer

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 01:59:16 AM »
Whoops, now I feel stupid. I was reading an older rule book and googling things, because my new one hasn't arrived yet.
Alas, my wife has been slacking off on her modeling career and she's too high maintenance to bring to the salt when I'm racing.