Author Topic: Vizard's PolyQuad valve system  (Read 12898 times)

Offline ggl205

• G/FL 218.282 since 1995. G/FL record since 1993.
Re: Vizard's PolyQuad valve system
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
Hopefully Woody will chime in on this - the head he and Burton Brown are developing REALLY sparked interest at PRI last winter, including with the engineers at Ford.

Woody, don't get mad at me but in the interest of correct citation, the cylinder head used on Burton's engine was designed, developed and patented by John Stowe. You and John have briefly discussed using CFD to model port configurations but don't know if anything came of it. John certainly knows there is value in your services but dollars are always in short supply.

The Stowe cylinder head has been around for quite some time in 1600 cc Ford BD trim but hasn't found a home in racing...yet. Power output improvement is significant over just about any other normally aspirated (NA) 2.0L out there. Burton's engine produces 342-347 hp depending on who's dyno you use. Fully developed, Stowe believes 375 reliable horse power very likely. Taking this one step further, Stowe thinks a Ford YB family of engines has potential for 400 hp given more optimal bore spacing, valve size and cam profile improvements. Cost to develop is the only thing holding John back. Anyone out there who would like a 400 hp, NA 2.0L for your race car? Give John a call.

I can't verify this but I think Burton is building a gen 2 version using an improved Stowe cylinder head and cams. Clearly, if this engine sees the light of day, records will likely fall.

John

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2015, 03:20:58 PM »
Subscribing
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2015, 09:05:20 PM »
Contact Kibblewhite Precision Machining in Pacifica California.  They had the capability to modify my head, make the needed parts, and had communicated with Vizard about it before he retired.

VIzard discusses the concept in his book abut porting and he shows a nice picture of a modified combustion chamber on Page 82 of his book on how to build horsepower.  I did not do it.  Mine is an air cooled bike engine, the intake valve seats would be touching each other in an aluminum head, and the seat for the big intake valve is cut at a 30 degree angle.  I was afraid that heat distortion would mess with the the ability of that larger valve to seat when the motor got hot.

The idea looks good for water cooled engines with adequate distance between the valves so the seats do not interfere with each other.