Author Topic: Are Venturi running?  (Read 16845 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Are Venturi running?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 05:23:51 AM »
Perhaps they don't want to disturb Prince Albert at the weekend? :?

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 02:52:31 AM »

Despite a rough track and an extremely shortened schedule, we have set a new record in our category. Our potential is still to be shown, but we have to be satisfied with what we have in the conditions we had to work with. And in this conditions we need to be very cautious with the safety of Roger.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 04:57:42 AM »
Now managed to find the following on Facebook (although I don't do Facebook):

Despite very difficult track conditions, Venturi and their partner The Ohio State University Center for Automotive Research established a new FIA land speed record with their 3000hp electric car, the Venturi VBB-3 at a one-mile average speed of 240.320 mph (386.757 kph). The record is subject to FIA homologation.

The Monaco based Venturi team was targeting their previous electric FIA World Land Speed Record set in 2010 with The Ohio State University Center For Automotive Research with the Venturi VBB-2.5 (a previous 700hp electric vehicle) at 307mph (495kph), instead achieving a category record.

2015 marks the third year in a row that weather conditions have prevented the Bonneville Salt Flats from providing ideal race conditions consisting of a hard and dry track.

The Bonneville Salt Flats saw a very wet July causing the organizers of SpeedWeek to cancel their famous event which should have taken place August 8th through 14th. The Venturi team was hopeful that the salt would dry for their mid-to-late August FIA world land speed record attempt, but a heavy storm on August 7th delayed their plans.

It wasn’t until August 15th that the Venturi team was able to set up their headquarters on the Salt Flats in order to make a record attempt, shortening their schedule dramatically. The SpeedWeek event would have served as a preparation and practice before the FIA world speed record attempt. However, like last year, the team instead spent that time waiting for the track to dry and then for the "Land Speed Events” trucks to work around the clock in order to groom the track to remove any bumps and to attempt to have a very steady and flat surface.

Venturi VBB-3 driver Roger Schroer spent many days learning the track mile-by-mile to be prepared for speed testing which finally began on August 19th. Despite the waiting period and delayed schedule, the track conditions were not ideal. A typical track for a world speed record attempt would be 12 miles long. However, due to the previous flooding of the salt, the team had only a 10 mile track to work with and throughout those 10 miles some segments were still partially wet and bumpy with clumps of mud and wet salt. These conditions inevitable led to problems with the vehicle, causing excessive shaking of the VBB-3 and it’s components and ultimately disrupted the electrical system. After careful consideration for the driver’s safety, the Venturi team and their experienced driver decided to make an attempt at the record on August 21st. It was their first and last attempt because on the rebound run, the front cooling system tank was pierced.

Roger Schroer, VBB-3 driver said :
"In eleven years here I have never driven on such a difficult track. The car was sliding on the surface from one side to the other due to soft spots and bumps."

David Cooke, team manager, The Ohio State University Centre for Automotive research
"We went faster than we have ever gone with this car but it's been a very difficult week on a very smooth track and we have done some damage to the car from extreme vibrations. But I am very confident that with a good track the VBB3 can reach its target"

Gildo Pallanca Pastor, Venturi Automobiles owner said :
Despite a rough track and an extremely shortened schedule, we have set a new record in our category. Our potential is still to be shown, but we have to be satisfied with what we have in the conditions we had to work with. And in this conditions we need to be very cautious with the safety of Roger."

Whoever calculated 240 mph from a video was spot on!

Given the way these things work, they probably also set a kilo record - bit surprised a French/Monagasque (sp?) company has not publicised this.

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 07:18:19 AM »
Hahaha. That was me- lucky guesstimate, but I'll take it!  :cheers:
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 07:33:09 AM »
cell phone tech---a great little stop watch an a  calculator---instantly ---a world class guess-ta-may-tor  :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 09:23:02 AM »
cell phone tech---a great little stop watch an a  calculator---instantly ---a world class guess-ta-may-tor  :-D

You're right on the "stopwatch" aka video time stamps, Sparky. The math (60/15 = 4 (60) = 240) was a little too easy for a calculator. Can't do geometry, but head math isn't too difficult for me.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

velocity

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 03:03:38 PM »
The first person to lose his land speed record on the salt was the first person to do so: Teddy Tetzlaff.

The AAA Contest Board - in business BEFORE the FIA -- was the group who ran all things motorsport in the USA. If you tried to play a game you got slapped with sanctions and heavy fines.

Bill Rishel had obtained a sanction for Tetzlaff's runs , but ONLY a half-mile sanction (don't understand why that was, maybe fees?)
However, while Tetzlaff handily broke the 1/2 mile record, Rishel starts PR campaign in the press saying the mile record was eclipsed because of all the people (150 +)who were on-site with their stopwatches (a common timing device of the day) timed him through the mile faster ans quicker than the existing record.

The AAA told Rishel to stop. Rishel did not. AAA pulled the sanction and the ensuing scandal kept the Bonneville Salt Flats off the racing radar for another 21 years until Ab Jenkins convinced Reed Railton of its merit who then helped Jenkins bring Cobb, Eyston and Campbell to the salt in 1935.

So yes, y'all better behave yourselves when running for a world record - the efforts and reputations of all who came before you are at stake.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 04:19:18 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what Louise just said.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 05:01:58 PM »
I have absolutely no idea what Louise just said.

In a nut shell wait until the results are officially recognized. Or you lose the recognition and record.We gotta wait to hear the speed.   :roll:
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

velocity

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
That's it exactly!

A century has past but the speed game is just as hard!

Offline half-fast racer

• New folks
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 10:00:08 AM »
Louise - the breadth and depth of your LSR knowledge continues to amaze me - keep it coming!

Offline crawford

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
Louise - the breadth and depth of your LSR knowledge continues to amaze me - keep it coming!
Yea it amazes me too!
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2015, 05:55:51 AM »
The FIA seems to have made it official.  Mile record confirmed as 240.320 mph.  VBB-3 also set a slightly faster km record - 240.582 mph.