Author Topic: Fritz Voight  (Read 5510 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Fritz Voight
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:20:53 AM »
I guess this is "old news", but I just learned that Fritz Voight died toward the end of last year at age 92.
I'm saddened, but I'm glad that I got to know him somewhat- via many hours on the phone with him. If It weren't for his help, I'd probably never had success with my M/T hemi Pontiac engine.
It's also sad that nobody ever sat down with him and transcribed all his stories into book form. Other than the "Fritz" chapter in Mickey's book "Challenger", not much was ever written about him.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline vintageracecar

Re: Fritz Voight
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 04:07:32 AM »
Jack,
Fritz was a Great guy and Yes, sadly he passed away towards the end of last year.
About 8 or 9 years ago I arranged and sat in on two interviews with Fritz. Interviews were conducted by
the AHRF (American Hot Rod Foundation) and Henry Astor. If you go on their website, I am sure you can
find them interviews. I will see David Steele later this week, I believe he is the foundations director.
Maybe I'll ask him to e-mail me a link.
Mike

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:02:28 AM »
Thanks Mike.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »
Jack,
David Steele was kind and sent me this link to a very short interview the American Hot Rod Foundation did with Fritz Voight.

http://www.ahrf.com/?legends=fritz-voight

Listening to him explain some of the memories he had about messing with the Ford Flathead engines gives me goose bumps
and makes me remember the great times and conversations I've had with him.
Too bad the clip is so short. Believe the AHRF should have about 2 interviews with Fritz, each one about one hour long.
They have Hundreds of interviews and probably Thousands of hours in their archives. David told me they are working on
getting more interviews edited and trying to figure out how to post some of them, maybe even full length.
In the mean while you can check out more short interviews of some of the Heroes of American Hot Rod and Motorsports
by looking at the "Legends Feature", located at the left-top of the page.
If you can, please support the AHRF and/or come to visit their booth during the upcoming 67th Annual Grand National
Roadster Show.
Enjoy the short interview with Fritz, I sure did.
Mike

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:53:27 AM »
Thanks Mike.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru