Author Topic: Electrical/electronics.  (Read 4862 times)

Offline tauruck

Electrical/electronics.
« on: August 12, 2015, 07:54:44 AM »
I was at my sponsor (Bosch) today to choose products etc.

It never worked out as expected. I need to give them more info.
I know nothing about EFI, ECU or any related subject so I've come to the source. :wink:

I need help here on several points.
I asked for Lambda Sensors (EGT) and couldn't answer whether I need "Control" or "Diagnostic".
My gut tells me that it's the latter.

I'll be running Bosch 2200cc injectors, 0455 pumps x 4 etc but can't tell the supplier what amp output the alternator needs to produce because there are other components that might need to run off the system.
Any ideas on that one?.

Bosch also want to supply stand alone coils but I can't answer because I have a Ford 351C and again have no prior experience or what similar unit from another make, Chevy, Holden or Ford might be suitable.

Offline Queeziryder

• Former funnybike racer now Salt crew
    • G&N Racing
Re: Electrical/electronics.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:27:48 AM »
Mikey,
Go for the biggest highest output alternator you can get.
It doesn't hurt to have headroom for power draw, and really weight can be you friend

Neil
Old enough to know better, but too interested in speed to care

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »
They make some lab grade Lambda (AFR) sensors that work well for monitor and control.  My MoTec uses one of their good ones for monitor and control.  Leaded race gas can be hard on them so get plenty of spares.

Alternators only produce the amps that are required so I would say go for their big boy, you cannot have too much capacity... Electric pumps and fans consume a lot
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline tauruck

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:47:34 PM »
Thanks guys.

The sensors are a little confusing.
They have Planar, unheated, heated 3 core and heated 4 core.

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
I just want to say that with all the stuff going on with the doom and gloom concerning the decline of our beloved salt flats I love these guys who continue with their builds and goals.

Whew, that was a long sentence.
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline tauruck

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 09:07:50 PM »
Thanks DW, Although I hate seeing the current situation I'm not affected (yet) due to my build being in South Africa.

AND I do hope the situation is resolved. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
      Mike, That's because the mining companies haven't found anything valuable in the dirt on The Hakskeen Pan yet. I may be coming to your place to find room to run the car.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »
Mike, talk Bosch into giving you two of everything.  It is easier to trouble shoot problems on the lake by simply substituting components until the issue goes away.  Also, you will be diagnosing and fixing the problem at the same time.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 01:51:41 AM »
Bo, this thing just gets more confusing. I need more info on the differences between all the sensor options they offer. I'm old school but willing to learn. I'll do some local research today. I know a guy. :-D :-D
Thanks for the advice, I'll get two of everything.

Doug, you're welcome anytime. Room for guests and Lakester. This place isn't that bad. News networks concentrate on all the negative crap. $1 will get you 12.50 here. You might not want to leave. :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 04:06:23 PM »
It is real easy to soup up some AC Delcos to 150 amp
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline mergatroyd

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »
Thanks guys.

The sensors are a little confusing.
They have Planar, unheated, heated 3 core and heated 4 core.
Planar.  Planar in that speak is a wideband sensor, giving useful readings further from stoich.  Get as many as they'll give you.  Tell them you are running leaded (if you are).

Q
I have no idea what I'm doing... but it seems to be working!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 11:50:14 AM »
Interesting in that they asked the end user what it is he needs/wants when it's not often that they'd actually know what they need/want.  When we do a sponsorship here we ask for the customers engine/car specs and then build them a package of parts/pieces that would work best for them. 

First and foremost, what are you using for an EMS?  Are you using a Bosch motorsports unit?  A planar or wideband O2 sensor won't do you much good by itself without something to control it.  Those types of sensors don't just plug in and work.  There's specific hardware that needs to be used in order to allow the sensor to even function and if you don't have either an EMS that has an internal wideband controller or some kind of external controller, you'll need to get one.

What do the Bosch "stand alone" coils look like?  The last time I looked through the Bosch motorsports catalog their COP race coils were OEM VW 1.8T coils from a Jetta/Golf.  If that's what they're trying to give you they probably won't work as they're designed to drop down into a well where the spark plug is recessed down inside the cylinder head.  You have a Cleveland means you have plugs that are on the outside of the heads so there's nothing for the coils to mount into.  You would need to do something like a coil near plug setup like a GM LS motor so if they have a coil that has a male high tension terminal on it, then you can mount the coils on the valve covers and run short plug wire leads to the plugs. 

What crank/cam position triggers will you be using?  If you don't know a lot about setting up EFI systems and if Bosch themselves won't be doing this work for you, I highly suggest getting hooked up with a local setup/tuning expert to help you out with this stuff. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member