Author Topic: Stop Mining the Salt Flats Petition  (Read 42324 times)

Offline Black Rose Racing

Re: Stop Mining the Salt Flats Petition
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »
Thanks for getting this started Sam.

Sad little video...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhZMfpRkRCY

Notice the only white (sort of) is where they trucked in Salt at lands end. 9:45 in the video
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:42:56 PM by Black Rose Racing »

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2015, 11:56:02 AM »
I think the white balance on that video is a little off. It's a camera setting that makes everything look like the camera has sun classes on if it's off. I would be willing to bet that all that salt doesn't look that brown. Not saying not brown at all , just not that bad.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline jl222

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2015, 12:15:07 PM »
I think the white balance on that video is a little off. It's a camera setting that makes everything look like the camera has sun classes on if it's off. I would be willing to bet that all that salt doesn't look that brown. Not saying not brown at all , just not that bad.

Except that the salt at roads end is white, and so are the clouds.

JL222

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »
Not really, at about 2 minutes there is a white truck and a portojohn roof. Neither really look white. That much sun they should both be really bright.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2015, 04:37:06 PM »
No, what is sad is that mis-information moves faster than truth.
The brown of the salt is not from Man, it was from Mother Nature when heavy spring rains moved dirt from the mountains to the salt flats covering them.
Also It looks like the flying camera needs it's white balance checked, because as a photographer I know that the salt blows out meters to extreme white or as we saw in the video a 'brown' cast.
And the dirt was covered over with a thin layer of salt, which makes it look like there is only  a thin crust of salt left.
Please read all of Russ Ayers reports before yelling 'the sky is falling"
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2015, 07:31:15 PM »
Brown mud, white mud, mud on top of the salt, mud underneath the salt - there is more mud than salt.
I drove to the Flats to see through the hype and conjecture and can confirm Sid's findings. Didn't find much of the white stuff we like to race on!

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline crawford

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »
wow finaly someone gets it. Too much mud on the surface of the salt. Its alot like beating a  :dhorse: but hey everyone has their idea.
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2015, 09:28:26 PM »
wow finaly someone gets it. Too much mud on the surface of the salt. Its alot like beating a  :dhorse: but hey everyone has their idea.

So, if Intrepid stopped tomorrow and no one was allowed on the salt, would it heal itself? If so, how long would it take?
If not, can man assist or are we just mucking with fother nature? I can go on with more questions if necessary..........

I don't know what the answer is, but I am afraid that time is a factor that man cannot manipulate very well and everything else he touches has unintended consequences.

John
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2015, 10:59:36 PM »
Willie, Crawford and Neilson.

All at odds.

We're tearing ourselves up.

Hope we all get together again sometime.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #84 on: August 26, 2015, 11:25:45 AM »
Hmmm,
  Thin Salt on top of the mud.
Seems like the Salt is trying to repair itself.
Can't be Laydown salt; the mud came after.

The buried crust just means Intrepid hasn't got it all. Yet.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2015, 01:21:53 PM »
Sid's report and cores say there is "NO" F'in crust, so what is the mud supposed to be covering?

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2015, 07:38:40 PM »
The thin layer of salty-dirt-mud stuff (varies in thickness depending where you look) is on top of a hard salt crystal base that is not white  but a kinda grey-ish-green color & that varies in thickness from about 1" to 2". Below that is the sloppy brine mud pudding type stuff that would swallow up your mother in law if you needed her gone. :wink:
As you can see, I don't know all the technical jargon for this $hit but most should be able to understand what I'm saying.
The last of the white top salt is mostly over in the Pit area & that is part of the drain field/pumping area & that extends from I-80 down by the plant, past lands end, through the pit area, down towards floating mountain then curves south towards I-80 again where the last Intrepid pumping station is located about 16 miles east of Wendover.
  Sid.

Offline Rob54

• New folks
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »
Hello All,

Found out about this earlier this morning when 'satan' posted it on the BritChopper site.

Signed immediately and am in the process of posting the details on all the forums I am a member of, all and everyone. If they relate to engines and wheels I am posting it there.

My daughter posted it on Guy Martin's facebook page (869,158) followers, the official fanpage of Suzuki Motor of America (1,951,523), Kawasaki USA (1,287,256), and Yamaha Motor Europe (1,185,097). If that lot don't get enough people signing the petition I don't know what will. Still going to post it on some more forums though, the more the merrier.

When I run out of forums, I am starting on motoring/motorcycle publications and any motoring/motorcycle organisations I can think of. Come on everyone, we ain't going down without a fight.

Don't forget, I come from the country that brought you 'The Charge of the Light Brigade'

For those of our American friends, think of 'Remember the Alamo'

Let's make the b*ggers sit up and take notice.

All the Best,

Rob54.

Blimey, just realised, this is my first post. Well if you do summat' make sure it's important, eh! (In homage to our Canadian brothers and sisters).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 03:03:35 PM by Rob54 »

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2015, 04:39:11 PM »
Endeavor to Persevere is my motto.  :evil:

96% of the Salt Flats crust gone.

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2015, 08:35:35 PM »