Author Topic: neat old fairing triumph on nitro  (Read 4246 times)

Offline altamont boozer

• New folks
neat old fairing triumph on nitro
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:59:43 AM »
Here's a link to some pictures of the bike when we first got her mocked up.
http://waywardgarage.com/1521/bonneville-triumph-motorcycle/

I ran her at BUB in 2012 without the rear fairing because it might be just a little ugly. the front is too cool! That said, I plan to run her at the world finals this year in the MPS-vf 650cc category
My father-in-law found the fairing in a lot of other motorcycle parts that he bought but the history is unknown to us.
I've been looking for over 4 years for a set of algon injectors for a triumph and have yet to see anything alluding to their existence.
The bottom end engine case numbers come up as '57 and Ill be putting a '55 or earlier iron head on it and making a set of manifolds to run dual mikuni alcohol carbs and adding a little nitro if everything is happy.

My current dilemma is that I need new tires, I would like to keep my 19" wheels but we can lace just about anything on her because my father-in-law is an old wheelsmith in Hayward, ca.
currently my rear tire is listed as 4.1" wide and the front 3.25"
the current record is around 125mph so that means H rated tires should be fine, but I wanted to get some opinions of people more experienced than I.

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re: neat old fairing triumph on nitro
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 04:18:38 AM »
Great looking 'ol Trumpy Boozer, a quick google found these,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=algon+fuel+injection&_sacat=0

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/fe-talk/43604-what-algon-fuel-injection.html

"builder was Al Gonzales (ALGON). Once had a shop in Richmond CA. I'm sure he is long gone by now.
Rick"
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 08:07:07 AM »

In context as it was in 2012 on the Salt!

Avon AM26s are made in sizes you can use and are V rated to 149 mph.  

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 01:35:43 AM »
Years ago I raced a BSA with 19 inch front and rear tires.  Dirt track racing tires were available from Carlisle, Goodyear, and some others that worked well.  I made sure the front tire was made to be used in the front and the rear tire was made to be used on the back.  An expert told me to do this.     

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:31:50 PM »
Today I run fronts all around on the salt...............trying to stay narrow.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline altamont boozer

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and ordered a set of avons from revzilla.com price seemed reasonable, they picked up the shipping and sales tax.

I actually had a long talk with the son-in-law of Al gonzalves a few years back, he has a lot of the original patterns in a shed somewhere but was unable to say if there was a triumph injector or not and that he had no intention of letting them be sent to a foundry to have raw castings made even If I paid for them and machined them myself.

Hadnt thought about running two fronts, I guess I was worried about failing tech