Author Topic: BUB MEET... I'm starving here...  (Read 19068 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

BUB MEET... I'm starving here...
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »
Streamliners are open and only limited by engine size, fuel and if it's blown. Skys the limit!

Well, yes and no. For SCTA you run in a class structure. There is a frame class and an engine class. If you are running a streamliner it must be a motorcycle engine with one exception. You could even run S-P with a Production engine.
G (gas), F (fuel), BG (blown), or BF state:
Unlimited in design, but must be comprised of major parts and components designed primarily for use in motorcycles.

Production, pushrod, and vintage and all the variations must be a motorcycle engine.
The exception is UG and UF. It has to be an Otto cycle and run in streamliner only. I don't think anyone has ever run this engine class.
On the other hand, I don't know what else the BUB liner could be.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »
nope!
Ya cant put a car motor in a bike and you cant mix motor and frame makers up. lots of other neet rule kinda stuff.......... its mostly all printed in a little colorfull book....... i think dan has a copy! i know jack has seen a copy
kent

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 08:43:11 PM »
just looked at the results posted. I wonder what all the "ready" and "timings" mean? did they not make it to the first set of lights? Just talked to mooreland he was chasing an electrical gremlin but still has the fastest Harley at 217. Anybody know how the J&P guys are doin with my old liner?
kent

Offline Scott

Bub 06
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 09:57:28 PM »
Went over on Monday took some pic's saw Ack run 348. Visited with Sumner. Tried to put pic's on user pictures, to big. How do I resize?
   SB
push truck driver

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Memory lane is where the real roots are.
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 10:53:36 PM »
Automotive non_MC engines are in common use around the world in FIM speed record and Drag Racing (Sprints).
SCTA does allow non MC engines in classes that allow UNLIMITED engines per 7.J.12.
The only person that spoke against it was Lingua and the rest of the meeting participants said it was OK.
That is back when our "ROOTS" were based on the wishes of the participants as a whole and not just special interests. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 07:32:21 AM »
Okay guys.... first with news is our hero...   Someone out there talks... Post it...

I'll try and get us a mid day update with  Jon...

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

aswracing

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 08:04:44 AM »
Y'know, you can buy production motorcycles from a couple of companies that have Chevrolet engines in them. "Boss Hoss" is the most well known brand. They offer both 350ci and 502ci versions.

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 09:56:02 AM »
Kent is your old Liner the Vesco bike someone mentioned?

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
THINKING IT THROUGH AND NOT UNDER
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »
Quote from: aswracing
Y'know, you can buy production motorcycles from a couple of companies that have Chevrolet engines in them. "Boss Hoss" is the most well known brand. They offer both 350ci and 502ci versions.

You are correct if they were produced for sale to the general public in excess of the 500 minimum required.
Their are several HD clone brands out there that use S+S motors that meet the production rules of the wise
and not the wishes of the foolish.
Now they are stuck with a number of real records with really no place to put them other than
go back to their "ROOTS" and leave it alone. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2006, 10:42:04 AM »
With what I now have read.  I think this part of the rule book has not changed; Why was John Bjorkman's M/C streamliner not allowed?

The only referance I can find in the book is it's for UG ans UF only and John's engine runs in "G" class as a 4 wheeled vehicle which is under 2000 cc....

Seems to me the M/C clan doesn't care when they get big but don't want real M/C engine classes invaded by spinoffs of automobile engines. JMO

Like Kent says it's in the book....Still waiting for Yacoucci's engine to be put in a Roadster....
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
ROOTS ?
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2006, 11:01:14 AM »
The non MC engine was allowed at the request of JB and presented to the entire group
 of participnts at the Speedweek meeting and only met with 1 objction.
 Mark was sure that it would open the door to F-1 engines and ruin it for everybody.
It was previeved and approved by the membership for recommendation to the board.
JB did run it s a MC and crashd it.
That is when he gave up the challange and made the packag into a car.
The only embarrasment was the bike engines in selected cars that haul the mail. :wink:

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 11:14:16 AM »
kt
yes and no! yes jon mentioned it as being a Vesco liner but no it was not built by Don. The frame was originally built by Bob George and at one point of its life Don worked on it, but he didnt build it.
I see the new owners J&P have made it to the line twice but no times yet.
kent

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
Jack D. I don't think John "crashed" he liner It fell over about 200 feet off the starting line the only time I saw it run. It shortly became a 4 wheeler. I was under the impression the engine was not allowed.

I do not believe a M/C based engine in a "4" wheeler is an embarrasment to anyone. We have witnessed all type of engines, especially in streamliners, used since the begining. Many outboard engines were used too.  The use of any engines which make a lot of power in a small package are useful in cars designed today.....

Many engines make more power but not is such a small package.  I think Denis Manning said it best on Wind Tumnnel last Sunday night. If we could get a 50cc liner over 120 we should get a 3000cc a lot higher than where it is.

I'm the one who bugs Rick about putting the engine in a roadster everytime he comes to El Mirage impounds...........
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline RichFox

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2006, 12:13:56 PM »
I don't think Rick want's to put his motor in a roadster, but if he does, I would sure like to lend him mine. Or at least talk about it.

Offline JimW

Woo Hoo - what a meet
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2006, 12:24:52 PM »
Ack goes out and says top that.  Bub goes out and says, Ok, top that.  Then Sam says, "Well, I guess I'll take it off the trailer long enough to show you boys what ya gotta top."

Gotta love it.

Thanks,
Jim