Author Topic: Location of courses....  (Read 13229 times)

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
Re: Location of courses....
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 05:07:45 PM »
Thanks, Glen...................and 2 Cooks are better than one :wink:
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
There actually is a road, Silver Island Loop Road, that runs from the Bend in the Road out pass the Floating Mountain and within about 2 miles of what appears to be good salt. My guess is that it is not ready for several thousand cars to drive on it but the salt looks good. Glen what is the story about the bombing etc. Is there unexploded ordinance in that area or just bomb craters or both?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 01:08:58 AM »
I could be wrong but I think the ordinance range is south of the interstate. There's been years where I'd be working out on course 3 or 4 and you could hear the jets and bomb drops. Actually, I know for sure the range is south of the interstate as I've driven parallel to it on an offroad excursion on my to wendover once and stopped and read a warning sign but I can't say for sure that they don't also bomb to the north of the hwy.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline maj

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 03:17:34 AM »
There is an old range on the south side of the evaporation ponds beyond the hot springs , everything out there is quite old

Talked to the ordinance retrieval guys in the bar a few times, our tracks are not free of it , but its minimal and swept pretty regular
they would be good to ask about conditions out further , both what the salt is like and hazards

Road out along the silver mountains is often impassable after rain, the saddle area is a broad soft silt or clay, last time we crossed it we couldnt have stopped or turned around if we wanted once we started we were committed , that was 2013 waiting for a dry area for Cooks
west side of the mountains have a better road but it had some big washouts and i hear thats not uncommon after any rain

any guesses how we fill in time waiting to race ;)

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 08:54:23 AM »
Beyond Floating Mountain is Eagle Range & that is the gunnery range for Hill AFB. On the south side of I-80 is Wendover Bombing Range & that runs from Blue Lake all the way out to Knols on I-80 & from there it becomes Dugway Proving ground.
  Sid.

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
I have to agree with Sid. My dad and I spent Last Thursday and Friday 8/6-7/15 on the salt.
We drilled some where around 120 1" holes, on 6 different courses. Russ Eyres has 10 years of past
GPS located measurement sites.
My F450 14,000lbs. truck left marks almost every where. Some where between the end of Course 4
we tried to get to the 5 mile on course 3, I spent all of my Lotery ticket luck up in about 400' of rev limiter
bouncing NOT getting stuck driving, gave up on that measurement. Got with in about a 1/2 mile of the Federal
Lease dike. walked in there is a very large mixed flow pump out there, does not look like they are using it, they
just drenched around the pump site, gravity flow.
The Cook's were also out their trying to set up the International course every thing was just a little to wet from
the rains that Got Sid. They also gave up after friday 8/7/15 late afternoon/ early evening rain.
Still putting all the info together, We did find 2 1/2"-3" of salt under the mud flow, I do not really care what BLM
says, there is salt under the mud.
The SCTA made the correct decision there is no way the salt as of today could support 565 pre entries and all of the
support vehicles , it would have been a really big mud bog.
I will post when I have more info.
Thanks for Your time,
Eric Eyres
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 07:42:01 PM »
Didn't we just read somewhere that a Canadian company was going to mine the salt north of floating mountain. I believe they going to come in from the north....I'm probably wrong on this but if it is right there will be 2 company's mining near where we run......
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2015, 10:03:39 AM »
   You are correct, the proposal video is posted on this page somewhere earlier. Sunday Barb and I had time, and at Betty Burkland's suggestion we set out to find Blue Lake. You drive South on Alt.93 about 12 miles and there is a sign that says Blue Lake. That's the easy part. There is a County/State road that hasn't seen a grader for a while and has some of the best washboard that I have ever encountered. Because Blue Lake isn't marked and isn't on my GPS we drove by the spot ant went on about 18 more miles of the nasty road. Along both sides of the road there are signs about the bombing range and No Trespassing. At the far end they changed to Dugway Proving Grounds signs. [We knew then that we had missed out turn. We went back and found the lake and it is a nice desert marsh with a pond sized lake with tons of flies. Actually only about 5 miles off of the highway. Not too bad of a drive. That part of the road is no worse that the road to my house in Columbus for those who have been there.
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline crawford

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 12:53:39 PM »
The west end of the salt flats has always been the weakest. If you look at the area around where the drags are stored and head north east that is some pretty nice salt, and also the international course which in years past was not a great surface is looking better than I have seen it for years. With some increased drag time and maybe some extra salt on the bad spots there could be two to three good courses. I have been on the Salt Flats and looking every day for the past four weeks, so the salt is ever changing and weather has always been a Big factor in the conditions.
Current Mayor of Wendover Utah, and life long race fan. owns Wendover Carquest auto-parts.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »
The north side where the last of the good salt is, is actually the drain field that feeds the plant & also where their north side pumps are located. In other words, that is the lowest area on the flats.
Here's the video I shot last monday that shows how it works out there. Sorry about the sound, it was blowing it's a$$ off up there on that mountain where I should not have been. I can't read signs!:roll:
  Sid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8i4TuyiZ_0