Author Topic: Location of courses....  (Read 13227 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Location of courses....
« on: August 06, 2015, 06:04:49 PM »
I'm not trying to second guess where the courses have been laid out in the past and probably for this year also but would like input from anyone that is involved with this with either SCTA/BNI or USFRA.

I'm going to post a couple images from print screens I did today on Google that are suppose to be 2015 imagery but don't know from when in 2015.

To me the salt looks like it might be better to the west of the two courses but maybe the image isn't representative of what the actual conditions are.  Not room over there for two course but I'd rather have one long course and longer lines than no long courses.  Moving west might put the pits to the east side and maybe a short course past them or just to the east of them.  Move the pits down near the start line would mean way less spectator viewing but there again if there was racing I feel that could suffer.

Another image...

of the same area.

and ...

... the one above shows the end of the courses and the color of the salt vs. the salt on the other side of Floating Mountain (Island).

The following two are self-explanatory...

Maybe get Intrepid to pump from the other side of Floating Mt. to our side or else sooner or later we need to seriously look at that area since they will continue to have one study after another until they finally have the one that says, 'yep the salt is gone, can you imagine that',

Sum

Offline jdincau

Re: Location of courses....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 06:21:51 PM »
The Google imagery is at least two years old as it shows the airliner crossing the long course at about the 4 mile that we all noticed and commented about on this board.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:25:37 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
The Google imagery is at least two years old as it shows the airliner crossing the long course at about the 4 mile that we all noticed and commented about on this board.

I do remember that now also but still wonder if the salt might be better a bit further west where it is much whiter and more like what you see on the other side of Floating Mountain?

Sum

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »
At WOS last year we were way farther west than usual.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:54:43 PM »
At WOS last year we were way farther west than usual.

Thanks, that is interesting,

Sum

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 07:39:22 PM »
I think that difference in color has more to do with moisture content of the salt than thickness. The darker looks like slushy snow, and I suspect that is the issue it is still pretty wet, where the thinner stuff to the west has been baked dry and is whiter due to that not thickness.

It would be fun to have access to multi spectral imaging like IR imaging to see differences in surface temps.
The higher edges of the basin should dry first as the last of the surface flooding dries up.

Offline n49racer

• Faster Faster
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
Am I missing something. Why is no one talking about the area north of floating mountain!!  :?javascript:void(0);
B/STR  209.97 best
B/RMR  248.45 Record Holder 2012
B/FRMR  248.85 Record Holder 2012
2 club member 2012

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 09:27:23 PM »
Access is not easy as there is no road plus the bombing in the area on the north side.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline maj

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 10:07:08 PM »
Latest IR is july 15
http://landsatlook.usgs.gov/viewer.html
you can subscribe and get more receint images
Go back in time and see the changes, Feb/ March shows the mud quite well
remember this is surface reflectivity and only shows the very surface so dry salt in a thin layer on mud will look like real salt 

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 11:04:22 PM »
I think that difference in color has more to do with moisture content of the salt than thickness. The darker looks like slushy snow, and I suspect that is the issue it is still pretty wet, where the thinner stuff to the west has been baked dry and is whiter due to that not thickness.

It would be fun to have access to multi spectral imaging like IR imaging to see differences in surface temps.
The higher edges of the basin should dry first as the last of the surface flooding dries up.
Hot Rod, you are wrong.
Those pics are current, the dark areas are where I tested on monday & the white is actually the remaining wetter salt flow draining to Intrepid's pumps & will not support a vehicle. Somebody else had sunk out there & I made a quick test run in my van & got out while I could.
See the clip.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe8de-Zhb6Q&feature=youtu.be
  Sid.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 09:51:04 PM »
Access is not easy as there is no road plus the bombing in the area on the north side.

Glen, I am wondering how long those unexploded bombs have laid in the salt brine?  When was the last time the military used that area for a bombing range? 

If the salt has the same effect on the unexploded bombs that it has on our race cars, there can not be much left of them.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 08:25:11 AM »
Would I be correct that all of the racing organisations/promoters with upcoming meetings/record attempts on the Bonneville SF are working together, so that, whether it is a multiple entry event or an individual private attempt or an invitational for the World's fastest, any and all available salt is going to be used sensibly and sensitively - so that each group gets their event run during 2015?

Who will control any spectators?   
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »
kiwi -
I was not talking about your pictures but Sumners post above and those old aerial photos.
They were actually shot over a year ago (see Jet plane captured mid course which was noted here on the forum a couple years ago, and old tire tracks from speed week track layout - means they were shot after august in late summer )
Copyright date is not the date the images were taken but when they were published and google constantly updates as any new image or update in the thousands of images used in a map area would require an updated copyright date.

He noted the bright white edges which we all know is the thinnest salt out there and being on the higher edge of the "bowl" tends to dry first.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
Malcolm.........Mike Cook Jr. is usually involved in course preparation. I don't know the details, but he seems to be involved with know-how and equipment, as well as running his own event, the SHOOT-OUT.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 02:01:33 PM »
Mike Cook Sr. has the shoot out, Jr. Is a worker and does course prep.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah