Author Topic: Reducing motorcycle displacement classes  (Read 13372 times)

Offline salt27

Re: Reducing motorcycle displacement classes
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 10:44:53 PM »
I did a quick search in my 2014 SCTA rule book.
In a 4 year period (2009-2013) the following records were set at Bonneville (some may have been reset during this time).

100cc- 20 records

175cc-29 records

350c- 24 records

Some of these records were set by the same bikes changing classes but there were other bikes competing that did not set records.

My point is, that these are active classes that several of us have been honing our bikes in on over several years and they will not be competitive if made to jump up a class.

I prefer things the way they are now and yes I do have a dog in this fight. 

Respectfully, Don

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2015, 06:14:12 PM »
Yeah, I know that. My point really was that this thread, which started out being about reducing motorcycle classes is becoming about adding tons of new classes for singles and triples. This would not really effect my racing effort other than. I am getting older, and the rule book is getting heavier. I would like it to stay liftable.

Rich for me what I liked about Land Speed was there was a place for everyone and the rules allowed me to build a Bike and set Records my using the limited skills I have on a very limited Budget ...

I run a 2 Stroke 250cc ... in M and A Classes ..... I can't do that in any other Motorsport ....

So decreasing the number of the Classes purely for the ease of Administration seems to run against the Spirit of our Sport ....

The thread has prompted people to point out that the SCTA based Motorcycle rules already has gaps that other Organisations have filled ...

I live in Australia and our Rule Book is based on the SCTA rules so I can't run at BMST or ECTA ...

My future plans involve stepping up to the 350 Classes as I have a 300cc Kit for my Bike so i can do this ...

I have invested in a Class that was one of those that might be removed ....

I cannot afford a 500 .....

So this change could effect me as well ...

Pete  :cheers:

The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
I don't think any classes are going to be removed. Never heard of that happening. I am just hoping there wont be any new catagorys added

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
     I don't know about any others without researching but the 600 class disappeared from Speedweek about the time AMA and SCTA-BNI parted ways, late '70's or so.

Ed

Offline RichFox

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 11:12:41 PM »
Did the 650 class begin then? I don't follow bikes. Don't much care what they do. Again, my point was that a thread about reducing the number of bike classes evolved into a thread about adding new categories. Which, from my vantage point, seems normal for motorcycle racers.

Offline salt27

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2015, 11:35:15 PM »
Darn it Rich, I was hoping for a "Rear Engine Modified Motorcycle" class.   :evil:

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »
     Or a REAIR....... :evil:   :-D

They had a 650 class back then.  I'm guessing maybe dropped because 600's had or were were falling out of production and common use on the street and in other forms of motorsport.  No vintage classes back then.

I have NO interest in a new class for the newer 600's that came along later.  If anything I'd rebuild my oldie for unfinished business no matter what class it might fall in now.  Going after my personal goals is what it's all about for me.  Stout numbers put up by the iron at hand, whether on 2,3, or 4 wheels for records or not, are recognized by those who understand. If they don't happen to for whatever reason what difference is it going to make now or 100 years from now?  The people involved, ability to innovate, and availability of  classes to go broke in at our own chosen rates is what makes LSR so great.   :cheers:

Ed

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2015, 08:57:57 AM »
Pete, We have your class in ECTA. A few years back the 250 classes were among the most active here though mostly 4 strokes due to the ninja 250s. The new R3 should make the 350 class entertaining. Bit of a "drive" though from your location!
 :cheers:

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
Has anyone ever suggested moving some smaller displacement classes to a "vintage" subset? I think most folks would be happy with fewer displacement breaks, and it would simplify things. For example, the current rules provide classes for both 350cc and 400cc bikes. (Edit - this is ECTA only, not SCTA) This seems like splitting hairs. Maybe I'm too young to remember the differences between production 350s and 400s, but in the 21st century these distinctions are pretty meaningless.

How about;
50cc
125cc
250cc
500cc
650cc
750cc
1000cc
1350cc
1650cc
2000cc
3000cc
3000+ (Altered only)

and the other displacements be converted to "vintage only" classes.  Anyone think this is viable? Do I have a second to submit a rule change request?

humbly,
Dean

That looks like removing classes to me ......

Pete  :cheers:
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.