Author Topic: Which streamliners plan to exceed 400 mph at this event in 2015?  (Read 15704 times)

Offline tallguy

It appears that the Castrol/Triumph Rocket, piloted by Guy Martin,
will make an attempt to go 400 mph sometime between August 27-29
this year (before the Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials are scheduled
to start).  That seems like a "private" attempt, not associated with a
gathering of more than that one racing vehicle.

Which motorcycle streamliners are going to try this at the Bonneville
Motorcycle Speed Trials in 2015?

Sam?       Rocky?

I'd like to witness the first "official" 400+ mph record being set by a motorcycle.

Until recently, I was thinking that this may happen at Mike Cook's Top Speed Shootout
this year.  But then I read about Castrol/Triumph's plan.  So I may try to be there
in late August, in case it happens then.

Good luck to everyone!  That includes all land speed racers of all vehicles in all classes!

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Which streamliners plan to exceed 400 mph at this event in 2015?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »
You have probably seen this statement from Triumph.

The recent cancellation of SCTA's (Southern California Timing Association) Speed Week, due to the waterlogged condition of the Bonneville Salt Flats, is a disappointment. While these poor weather conditions have created a challenge for Triumph’s attempt to regain the motorcycle land speed record, we remain undaunted. We continue to monitor the conditions closely as our plans are to return there in late August.

Inevitably, pushing the boundaries of engineering and human endeavour is never going to be easy – and nature appears to be doing her best to provide us with further challenges right now.

The team is confident that it has the right machine, in the Triumph Rocket, and the right man, in Guy Martin, to exceed the current record which stands at 376.363mph.

We are actively evaluating all options for both testing and a record run attempt in 2015 and hope to confirm our plans very shortly.

Reading between the lines, my guess is that any attempt to beat the record at the end of August relied on giving Guy Martin some seat time at Test 'n Tune and/or Speed Week.  Even if the salt conditions and weather cooperate it seems a bit unlikely the Triumph Rocket will be up to record speeds after running for only 3 or 4 days.

My tuppence worth, peering over a keyboard.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 10:59:06 AM »
Triumph with Guy Martin will have had the least testing of all as they clearly 'lost' any chance in "mid July".  The dates released for the attempt in early July were 24 to 27 August - which seems to indicate private time ahead of BMST (29 to 3rd Sept). Could they share with a car before these late August dates? Triumph are listed on the Mike Cook 'Shootout' pre-event entrants for 17th to 21st September last time I checked.

Whilst they are watching Bonneville conditions, the PR people are reporting that options are being evaluated.  Does triumph have an alternative location in mind?

Wendover watchers might just see a black streamlined motorcycle tow in during mid August for testing and then in September - who knows what course might be available on the salt flats - Triumph could face their opponents in a 'head to head' battle, which they seem to have tried to avoid.

Otherwise it could be 2016 before the fast bikes (and cars) get a chance to run.
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 12:12:51 PM »
Which has more reward, the first mc streamliner over 400mph or the first to get a certified 400mph+ record?
John

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »
If this is a poll, I vote option #2.

Ack Attack has already been over 400(exit speed).
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 02:11:28 PM »
I would want the 'record' too.
John

Offline superleggera

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 02:17:32 PM »
One thing with motorcycle streamliners is they are the most dependent upon salt condition, temperature (time of day) and wind speeds of any type of vehicle that runs down the course itself.  Patience is a virtue with these while awaiting ideal or even safe conditions to actually run.

- Sam Wheeler.  When has he last run down the course before the multiple year total rebuild to the new configuration?  There are a LOT of changes (mechanical, new gearbox, engine, horsepower!, weight distribution, etc) within his streamliner and inevitably he has some testing to validate the modifications before chasing of the milestone itself.  It is good to see they are well prepared and have gotten as much chassis dyno testing as they have thanks to sponsor involvement. The biggest challenge here -- time itself -- Sam isn't getting younger unfortunately and not having Sam in the cockpit isn't an option. (I am cheering for Sam though -- super nice guy and I think a vast majority would be happy if he hit a legit 400mph speed before retiring the streamliner to a museum)  

- Triumph.  Has it actually EVER made a run down the course yet without the outriggers attached?  What is the fastest speed they have run so far?  Did they have to make some major modifications to it to fit the new (and bigger/taller) driver into that tiny cockpit of the previous driver who it was designed for originally?  There is a learning curve to piloting a motorcycle streamliner as well.  Inevitably they will need to do more testing and validation before they have a legit shot for the milestone record -- much less a speed record itself.  I do have to give their marketing people a big thumbs up as they do a great job of generating publicity for them everywhere on a regular basis.

- Ack.  Probably just sitting there waiting patiently for legit competition to challenge their current record.  If the salt / weather cooperate, they are definitely the favorites without question.  Does anyone know if they have done any major upgrades (aero, chassis or engine) since they last made a record run?  And when were they last on the salt itself to make an actual run?

- Bub.  Are they still in the running?  It has been very quiet as of late in regard to them and their plans.  Sometimes silence is a good thing as nobody knows what might be coming...
- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »
Press releases like triumphs just irritate the heck out of me.  How about you go 300 mph first before you start spouting off about going 400 mph.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 04:13:12 PM »

Ack Attack has already been over 400(exit speed).
DW

Really? The exit speed for their last run in 2010 was quoted as 394.084 mph. When did they go faster?

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 04:17:36 PM »
According to Rocky data showed 400 after traps before rolling off throttle. Very possible but very unofficial.

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 06:20:36 PM »
Seems the Triumph Streamliner was built more for publicity than actual racing. Ack is the one to set the 400mph record. Unfortunately not looking good for it to happen this year for anyone at Bonneville.

Offline dw230

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »
"According to Rocky data showed 400 after traps before rolling off throttle. Very possible but very unofficial."

There you go Dickie,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline ack

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 09:39:24 AM »
One thing with motorcycle streamliners is they are the most dependent upon salt condition, temperature (time of day) and wind speeds of any type of vehicle that runs down the course itself.  Patience is a virtue with these while awaiting ideal or even safe conditions to actually run.

- Sam Wheeler.  When has he last run down the course before the multiple year total rebuild to the new configuration?  There are a LOT of changes (mechanical, new gearbox, engine, horsepower!, weight distribution, etc) within his streamliner and inevitably he has some testing to validate the modifications before chasing of the milestone itself.  It is good to see they are well prepared and have gotten as much chassis dyno testing as they have thanks to sponsor involvement. The biggest challenge here -- time itself -- Sam isn't getting younger unfortunately and not having Sam in the cockpit isn't an option. (I am cheering for Sam though -- super nice guy and I think a vast majority would be happy if he hit a legit 400mph speed before retiring the streamliner to a museum)  

- Triumph.  Has it actually EVER made a run down the course yet without the outriggers attached?  What is the fastest speed they have run so far?  Did they have to make some major modifications to it to fit the new (and bigger/taller) driver into that tiny cockpit of the previous driver who it was designed for originally?  There is a learning curve to piloting a motorcycle streamliner as well.  Inevitably they will need to do more testing and validation before they have a legit shot for the milestone record -- much less a speed record itself.  I do have to give their marketing people a big thumbs up as they do a great job of generating publicity for them everywhere on a regular basis.

- Ack.  Probably just sitting there waiting patiently for legit competition to challenge their current record.  If the salt / weather cooperate, they are definitely the favorites without question.  Does anyone know if they have done any major upgrades (aero, chassis or engine) since they last made a record run?  And when were they last on the salt itself to make an actual run?

- Bub.  Are they still in the running?  It has been very quiet as of late in regard to them and their plans.  Sometimes silence is a good thing as nobody knows what might be coming...

No aerodynamic changes when the bike set the record in 2010 the motors were petty worn out after 170 dyno runs during the preceding 3 weeks chasing gremlins we never found until 2011. In fact when we got to Bonneville a couple days after pulling it off the dyno both engines had zero compression as we had lost all valve clearance and spent all night re-shimming the valves. This along with shifting problems on both motors did not help the effort. The abuse the motors saw on the dyno gave me great respect for the Hayabusa motor.

We have installed two new motors and solved the problems we were having both in 2010 and at the test and tune last year.  The other limiting factor was the NACA air intake, while we could easily make over 30 pounds boost on the dyno we could never make more more than 25 at Bonneville even though the turbo should have been able to produce at least 40. We have designed a new air intake that is above the boundary layer. The 3D model on the website shows it http://top1ackattack.com

The other changes we have made are to fit the 30" Mickey Thompson tire to the rear.  The 26" we have been using since 2006 has over thirty 300 mph runs on it and the new production 26" just won't work for us. Because Rocky is gun shy about traction control because of the 2011 accident we have designed a slip indicator graduated in 1% increments to give him some feed back. We have also added an air shifter.

Lastly we have never been able to run with the rear doors on after they caused stability problems in 2007 & 2008 even though we believe we have fixed the problem.  In 2010 we pulled them off when we were having the steering problem caused by the new Mickey 26" tire and never got a chance to put them back. The doors reduce drag by 9.8%.

As to the 400 mph exit speed the exit speed measured at the FIM event is an average speed between the last Kilo light and the last mile light about 1/5 mile the speed is unofficial and really means nothing.  The bike was accelerating rapidly through the mile with no wheel slip as the entry and exit speeds show and Rocky said it was still pulling hard at he final light.  If we would have had an extra mile run up we would have been entering the lights at 400.  Track length is everything in LSR if Bonneville doesn't pan out this year we are seriously considering an attempt in Bolivia.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 10:01:53 AM »
Mike, Wouldn't Australia work for you?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2015, 11:53:59 AM »
"According to Rocky data showed 400 after traps before rolling off throttle. Very possible but very unofficial."

There you go Dickie,

DW

Thanks Dan. I hesitated for longer than it takes to cover a mile at 400 mph before questioning you. :-D  Just wanted to check I hadn't completely missed a run.

In the other 400 mph streamliner thread I see Rocky has joined in and said "Our 394 final pass in 2010 on very good salt got us close on peak speed. We actually went over that before decel but of course that doesn't count."  Good enough for me.  :-)