Author Topic: Which streamliners plan to exceed 400 mph at this event in 2015?  (Read 15654 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Which streamliners plan to exceed 400 mph at this event in 2015?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
Veering slightly off topic, can anyone tell me the times/speeds of the individual runs for the Ack Attack record in 2010? I don't think the FIM publish that breakdown.

Offline ack

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 07:23:40 PM »
Mike, Wouldn't Australia work for you?

Been there done that. Lake Gairdner is at sea level the higher the better for a turbocharged vehicle as long as you can maintain boost.  Salar de Uyuni is 11,995 feet with 100 miles of amazing salt. A lot of logistics to work out the biggest challenge may be keeping all us old guys breathing at that altitude.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 11:36:17 PM »
Sounds like a plan good luck Mike
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 02:11:04 AM »
The triumph effort has been doing test and development on the salt between meets.  The bike is double engined which is a challenge and the Rocket 3 engines are not race motors.  Add on the complexity of the forced induction and electronics and the project becomes a real hairball.  They are doing the best they can.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 04:01:24 AM »
Bo, you've just described Ack's liner driven by Rocky Robinson to a "T" with the exception that he's using Hayabusa engines instead of Triumph triples. The difference is that instead of telling everyone how good they are Ack and Rocky have been proving it.

Pete

Robin UK

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 04:14:22 AM »

Been there done that. Lake Gairdner is at sea level the higher the better for a turbocharged vehicle as long as you can maintain boost.  Salar de Uyuni is 11,995 feet with 100 miles of amazing salt. A lot of logistics to work out the biggest challenge may be keeping all us old guys breathing at that altitude.

Mike - you may be right there. Had an attack of altitude sickness in Ecuador last month. Time and a big mug of coca tea is the answer  :-D

Robin

Offline joea

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »
the Rocket III motors are most certainly suited for racing on the salt......

better suited for forced induction racing than most normally aspirated so called
"race engines"

additionally they have..relatively speaking...cubic dollars....

they are doing fine, with the limited salt past couple years

no one else in 2 wheeled streamliner race has been able to do anything earth shattering
either in the time that the Triumph liner has been developing...

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2015, 02:09:34 PM »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline ack

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
the Rocket III motors are most certainly suited for racing on the salt......

better suited for forced induction racing than most normally aspirated so called
"race engines"

additionally they have..relatively speaking...cubic dollars....

they are doing fine, with the limited salt past couple years

no one else in 2 wheeled streamliner race has been able to do anything earth shattering
either in the time that the Triumph liner has been developing...

Well let me think getting kind of foggy in my old age started it in January of 2003. Finished the ACK Attack good enough to run on Tuesday of Speed week 2004 about 4 in the morning. I had spent abut 32 K total building it including paying to have the trailer and carbon fiber body made, not counting Ken, Frank's and my labor as no one was paid. Got through tech Wensday night and Jimmy made his first licensing run at 175 in the afternoon Thursday. Friday he made his 225 licensing pass but the meet ended.

We Ran at Bub a couple of weeks later and made the first pass at 279 on the second pass he crashed at about 300. Jack Doland timed him at 274 sliding on his side through the last third of the mile.

After 4 weeks thrashing on the bike Ken and I patched the bike back together to run at the 2004 World Finals. Jimmy made his pass at a 330 something average with an exit speed of 336+. On his record run he broke the drive chains about 1/2 through the mile and coasted through with enough speed to set a 228 average record which still stands. Afterwards one of the old timer came by the pits and said "Boys you have used up all your luck at Bonneville"

Joe are you their new PR guy?

Offline joea

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2015, 08:44:24 PM »
Mike....in the past couple years...ie the Triumph on the scene...developing...no one
has been able to do anything earth shattering in the bike liner world....

:)

can I bring you an Amo special Starbucks...?...

I can understand your sensitivity a bit....its been a long last few years...

as far as my Triumph PR gig....ironically....I held back much of what I feel regarding
that endeavor....as to try to take a deep breath personally and not cast aspersions, as it
seems they are working hard 

so I opted to throw a bone out there...BUT did try to offset anyone feeling sorry for them
their engines and dollars and such....

no one has greater admiration in my mind than you and Sam's efforts, right now that is the
Gold Standard....

ironically I had cut a phrase off my last post here, after seeing some posts about Triumphs efforts...I didnt want to seem harsh against their efforts..

Ill include it this time :):)

some find excuses...some find a way...

Offline ack

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 02:55:45 PM »
Joe make it a vanilla bean. 

One point I have always tried to make is you don't need to spend a huge sum of money to go after this record or other records. Your bike is a perfect example of what can be done with an old engine working alone in a garage without a big budget.  We still laugh about a bar conversation a couple of our crew overheard after we set the record at world finals in 2004 seems someone had it on good authority Top Oil had spent close to half a million dollars having the bike built.  I read somewhere one of the UK teams were going to need to raise $400,000+ to make the attempt after the bike was finished.  Really?

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 03:43:36 PM »
Joe make it a vanilla bean.   Really?

Ack, Now ask Joe for the rest of the story... :evil:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline joea

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 03:59:29 PM »
Shshush it ...

our version is much more electrolyte balanced because we care about those close to us, and only those close to us can get the benefits of a preservative free , organic blend

I was bummed to see Mike misinterpret my post intent with regard to "in the time the Triumph liner has been developing"...

I meant it literally "during" the time they have debute , circumstances like salt conditions and other issues have not allowed any of the 2 wheeled forces to show their capabilities

Not that non one has done much in history over any two year time span

Reminds me of the disconnect between a wife who asked the husband to peel half the potatoes and put in a pot

https://propelsteps.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/half-potatoes-e1387467454643.jpg

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 08:15:59 AM »
I read somewhere one of the UK teams were going to need to raise $400,000+ to make the attempt after the bike was finished.  Really?

I have not seen this in print before.  That $400k figure suggests to me (over here in the UK) that the team are planning a private FIA governed land speed record attempt somewhere in the world and that the figure includes every necessary item - flights, transport, hotels, meals, etc .... etc ....... 

On his record run he broke the drive chains about 1/2 through the mile and coasted through with enough speed to set a 228 average record which still stands.
[/quote]

Just so folk know, my rulebook shows a record of 328 mph.  :-)
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 08:30:40 AM »
I read somewhere one of the UK teams were going to need to raise $400,000+ to make the attempt after the bike was finished.  Really?

I have not seen this in print before.  That $400k figure suggests to me (over here in the UK) that the team are planning a private FIA governed land speed record attempt somewhere in the world and that the figure includes every necessary item - flights, transport, hotels, meals, etc .... etc ....... 

The Daily Telegraph of 10 January 2014 stated:
Toseland will test the 52 Express for the first time at Bruntingthorpe in Leicestershire at Easter, when he is unlikely to exceed 150mph, while Macfadzean is seeking £400,000 in sponsorship to get the 52 Express crew to the salt in September.