Author Topic: Tire Growth  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
Tire Growth
« on: July 28, 2015, 07:08:41 PM »
This question is to the guys and gals that have sit on bikes that have run speeds in the 220 and 250 MPH range. Do you know how much tire growth there is with a BRIDGSTONE BATTLEAX 003  190/55 AT SPEED  :?

Thanks, :cheers:

MAX

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Tire Growth
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:48:30 PM »
Based on our data running the Battleax BT010 190/50 at 50PSI I would say you would expect about 1/2 inch of growth at 210.
YMMV  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:52:08 PM »
How was the data achieved, a 1/2 inch growth is a bunch. Are you talking tire height or a distance from static center tread point to a  distance from a point on the swing arm, how did you measure? My meathead was always with a rollerized telescoping tool that was graduated with markings on the female part of the telescope. I am not looking for guess work data, data should include tire pressure before and after run and the ambient temperature and salt temp. TO FIGURE  gear ratio and tire diameter and speed as the matrix is not what I am looking for . I am looking for a mechanical measurement with temp and tire pressures.

ML       .   

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »
My info is based on rpm and trap speed data, speed calculated from roll out number.  Best data may come from the pavement guys, they should have less slip.
Guys, anyone have any solid data?  Anybody use a rub strip to check growth?

Tom, did you spin any motorcycle tires? 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 07:00:05 AM »
Tom did , I have the info I needed, thanks Tom.

MAX  785

Offline bbarn

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 08:47:58 AM »
Do a static test and video it. Put some reference behind the tire so you can see what growth you really get. You will not see a wave form from tractive effort, but you can get a measurement of growth.

Here we have a known diameter of the wheel opening to compare the growth of the tire against for measurement. You may be able to just mark the swing arm and know what you get.

https://youtu.be/CBhiJNbB6KA
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline joea

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
Max was requesting very specific data from real world conditions on the salt to include salt temp , ambient etc with resulting growth at speed from running on salt etc

that precluded me obliging with data, ie Tom Burklands data that we had privilege of knowing so many years ago from his Montana spin tests

I figured if Stainless real world feedback from salt wasn't sufficient/adequate I wasn't going there

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
I have information that suits my question. As I understand it a BATTLEAX 190/50 tire has been spun to over 4000 Rpm to a speed of 330 mph. This was a no shave tire , Tire growth of 3/8 inch was recorded , The growth will be a lot less at my speed requirement of 220 to 250 mph. and a 210 mph speed would be even less. Just a guess, so most likely the tire growth for my application will be 1/8 th to 5/16 th.

Thanks to all

MAX   785