Author Topic: National Paved Mile Records  (Read 40435 times)

Offline Stan Back

Re: National Paved Mile Records
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »
Dan --

You know how simple certification is.  A couple of part-time spectators could do it. 

We just need to add the "Street" classes and the "Former Race Car" classes to the multitude of SCTA Car classes.  No sweat.  And then add the "4-Stroke" and "2-Stroke" classes to the simple SCTA motorcycle classes.  And then look at the old pictures from various 1-mile events and cut out the vehicles that have records that very obviously don't meet specifications that you can see on a phone-camera at 150 MPH.

I'll start working on a format for the record certificates.  Who's gonna sign them?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Guardrail

• New folks
  • Stan complained
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
Say Stan,

'Spose you can have that done by the weekend?

Affiliate San Berdoo Roadsters

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »
Stan,

My idea does not include the various "other" classes. If the SCTA is not using them then a record(?) would be limited to ECTA or LTA only. The classes would be included in the overall listing.

I fail to see the added costs of a certification team. I thought these events were run on a voluteer basis, you just need a couple of guys who know what a belly pan is and can tell the diff between a production Mustang and an altered Camero. The bike guy would have to know the diff between an A vrs. an APS body work deal.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 04:17:40 PM »
I personally don't see the need for a National Data base. To many different venues with there own rules. Just make an SCTA mile section in the SCTA rule book and be done with it. Let the other organizations be responsible for their tech and records. Keep it simple.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »
No fun there Tom. My idea may result in a limited amount of band width taken up with all these records listed as signatures. I know Stan would be on board with that.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 02:02:17 AM »
It was a similar situation at Pendine this year.  The event had not been run under UK Timing Association or ACU sanctions and there were no sand records on their books.  We all ran in classes for open records.  Next year our records will be the ones that folks will try to beat. 

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 05:47:42 AM »
For 'sand' records, these should be on a beach that is lapped by tides twice a day, (not a desert playa flooded at various times in a year) :-D.

For the pavement miles I thought the USA already had an umbrella governing body because the International Mile Racing Association (IMRA) claims it is ....."IMRA formally established in 2010 as the first and only Sanctioning Body in the World for standing mile events".

The UKTA are working with its own 'Top Speed' bike classes and UK inspired car classes; National ACU/FIM bike classes; AMA Bonneville classes and ECTA car classes; all in the rule book and are organising racing on pavement (Elvington/Woodbridge Airfields) and on Pendine Sands.

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 05:57:30 AM »
Stan,

My idea does not include the various "other" classes. If the SCTA is not using them then a record(?) would be limited to ECTA or LTA only. The classes would be included in the overall listing.

I fail to see the added costs of a certification team. I thought these events were run on a voluteer basis, you just need a couple of guys who know what a belly pan is and can tell the diff between a production Mustang and an altered Camero. The bike guy would have to know the diff between an A vrs. an APS body work deal.

DW
I may have mislead you about certification at Loring.  We already have a tech crew for bikes and another for cars.  All vehicles are checked to certify that they are within the rules of LTA (as I said, very similar to SCTA and BMST records) as well as meeting safety regs and clothing requirements.  We just don't require tear down to certify motor size.

If we have to wait another 10,000 years for the Salt Flats to recover, we just might want to make mile and mile-and-a-half events certified.

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline dw230

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
"For the pavement miles I thought the USA already had an umbrella governing body because the International Mile Racing Association (IMRA) claims it is ....."IMRA formally established in 2010 as the first and only Sanctioning Body in the World for standing mile events".

Malcolm,

I don't think I have ever heard of them. I'll use the google box.

Tom,

SCTA does do tear downs, or displacement measurements to certifiy that the entry is within the class limits. Not too large or too small. I think if a National or International(UK) database is to be established evryone should be on the same page.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 12:34:02 PM »

I'd second that Dan
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »
My 2c. Loring is the finest pavement track in the country. Tim Kelly and his crew are first class. They are very accomodating, but not to the point of overlooking safety issues. It took three inspectors, doing full inspections, for my over 200 bike. Anyone east of the Mississippi river is missing a bet not running here. It is 2500 miles one way for me, and if I wasnt so darn far I would make every meet. Hell if I had more than one other person to share driving chores I would make every meet. I love that place. Never big winds in any direction, this year is the first time we have lost any racing due to weather. Still got to make plenty of runs. Greg Neal made 31 runs, I think. If more poeple dont start going we could lose it due to lack of participation. They need to at least break even!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
Loring is the finest pavement track in the country. Tim Kelly and his crew are first class. They are very accomodating, but not to the point of overlooking safety issues.

+1

Franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
If I go to Loring this Fall, part of my justification is how many runs I get in up there.  I wouldn't go to a two day event anywhere if setting a record means I am going to be parked for a teardown and end up with half as many passes. 

I also believe in records being meaningful mostly for the venue they were set at.  I am perfectly having a mile record at Loring and someone else having a slower or faster record wherever.  If the records were consolidated and you get a venue running West to East and there won't be records  at the North to South if the same vehicles. 

To summarize my feelings, I am perfectly fine with folks keeping overall records for the entertainment value, but I care about the records at the venues I can run at.  The day venue specific records stop being managed is likely the day I stop running for records.  The day record teardowns become mandatory at two day events would likely be the last day I run for records.  Hope to see you all at Ohio and possibly Loring this Fall.  Salt next year pretty please...

Milt

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 11:32:19 AM »
Teardown????? you mean lift the gas tank, pull a plug and rotate the engine by hand so the measuring guy can stick caliper your engine.... of if you don't have a center plug motor, disable the valves in a cylinder and air or oil pump it .... 

I personally love it every time we have to endure that teardown horror at Bonneville  :roll:

Your Motor May Vary....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
Well Milt, IF we see you at Bonneville next year & you do happen to set a record, enjoy the inspection...  :evil:

How 'bout you just make laps at all those other venues and not worry about setting any records. Sounds like that's all you want to do to me.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...