Author Topic: National Paved Mile Records  (Read 40429 times)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: National Paved Mile Records
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2015, 04:28:25 PM »
Oh........ 

So we DO need rules to determine what fastest of the fastest means.......   :roll:

I have the fastest red Pinto with white stripes.......     :dhorse:
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline tortoise

« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
Fastest car over 1 mile is 323 MPH at Texas

A rocket funny car went 386 in the quarter mile in the eighties, so not so impressive, I'd say.

Offline jdincau

« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2015, 06:01:32 PM »
We got an award for being the fastest Chevy powered roadster at Speedweek once. My son's response was, "was that for the fastest blue Chevy powered roadster or for the fastest red Chevy powered roadster"?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »
Oh........ 

So we DO need rules to determine what fastest of the fastest means.......   :roll:

I have the fastest red Pinto with white stripes.......     :dhorse:

If we need rules to determine what the fastest of the fastest means then it would be best to start a new thread. This one somehow has gotten off track.
  So back to the title National Paved Mile Records using the rules outlined by the timing authority holding the event be it ECTA or LTA following the SCTA rules format.  If the Ford GT at 283 MPH would pass tech just like any other Land Speed Race vehicle and fit into a class then that record would stand. But if it was say a Texas Mile Record where they have a class called super car in which the rules are very loose in my opinion in no way would that be considered a national record.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline dw230

« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2015, 06:35:46 PM »
That's my point.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2015, 02:55:06 PM »
I would agree totally with Fredvance post # 25 - Tim Kelley - Joe Daley and crew offer three great events. If you'd like to do at least several passes a day LTA will get you there. Bill Warner of Warner/Forstall Racing did 311.945 mph in 2011  APS/BF 1350 - RIP Bill -  Plenty of room to go fast & stop safe.  The LTA race track is currently the longest asphalt LSR surface available in the world today, due to the fact that it is over 2 5/8 miles long!   :cheers:    http://www.loringtiming.com/#!track/c3fg
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
new rule book and classes plus all of the record sheets(pages) etc. Or volume 2 of the existing rule book. It takes a lot of work folks.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline will6er

« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2015, 09:58:53 PM »
I was at the Colorado Mile last week and I didn't see many roll cages - and few would pass SCTA tech.
That would be the first hurdle.
Bikes might qualify more easily.

Will Willis #6302

Offline RansomT

« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2015, 10:22:58 PM »
I was at the Colorado Mile last week and I didn't see many roll cages - and few would pass SCTA tech.
That would be the first hurdle.
Bikes might qualify more easily.

Will Willis #6302

I "think" the Colorado Mile used the same rules as the Texas Mile, not nearly the same safety requirements as ECTA or LTA.  However, not trying to be an a$$, but what does safety rules have to do with "Body Classes", "Displacement", and Fuel rules?

Offline edinlr

« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2015, 11:48:45 PM »
I ran at Maine last week and it was just great.  The only drawback was the 1900+ mile drive, this is a long way to go for a 2-day event.  The 1 1/2 mile course however, was great and I could tell a difference over the mile course at Ohio.  I wish someone would do a race at the http://spaceportamerica.com/ in New Mexico.  It would be less than a 1000 mile drive for me and even shorter for people in Texas or California.  I agree on comments above about class rules and certification, just hard to do during weekend events.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 11:50:23 PM by edinlr »
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »
new rule book and classes plus all of the record sheets(pages) etc. Or volume 2 of the existing rule book. It takes a lot of work folks.

There's no reason for a new rule book the existing rules in the current book should be whats used for the qualifying vehicles. The national paved mile records would be for true Land Speed Vehicles. The only additional paper needed would be for the listing of the record set by a qualified vehicle be it car of bike.
  Were not talking about Texas or Colorado mile events their rules at this time do not follow the SCTA format or the rules used by the other true LSR timing associations that being the ECTA and the LTA.
All of this still needs to be approved by the powers to be. Until then its just an idea but in many ways a good idea it would be nice to have additional opportunity's to try and set a record.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
3 Day Meets
Now that ECTA has posted their new schedule with the 1st & last meets going to 3 Day Meets with tech on Thursday and racing on Fri/Sat/Sun maybe they would consider opting into Dans' plan or something similar as suggested by Ransom in post 37. They could set aside a certify area for those wanting to be verified after a record breaking run on race day, free or an additional small fee would be okay with me. If you don't want your engine verified so you can be added to the National list then don't use the service. I for one think it would be a great list as well as having track records. It does work for the NHRA with all the different venues they run.   

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2015, 04:19:56 PM »
The ECTA three day meets according to their site list Friday to Sunday there's no Thursday set up.

gkabbt

« Reply #103 on: December 02, 2015, 04:51:06 PM »
Ron, I was talking with Brian at the September meet and he told me, just like wfojohn posted, that tech will be on Thursday and racing Fri, Sat & Sun. I'll shoot him and email and see if he will confirm and also get him to correct the ECTA website.

Gregg

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2015, 09:04:45 PM »
Ron, I was talking with Brian at the September meet and he told me, just like wfojohn posted, that tech will be on Thursday and racing Fri, Sat & Sun. I'll shoot him and email and see if he will confirm and also get him to correct the ECTA website.

Gregg

Hi Greg
   Thats good news I was hoping Thursday would be set up day maybe the web site just needs updating. Im all in favor of the National Paved Mile Records idea the ECTA event would certainly be perfect for this.