Author Topic: National Paved Mile Records  (Read 40520 times)

Offline dw230

Re: National Paved Mile Records
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »
If flying kilo records is what you want the venue will have to conform to FIM standards for speed based length, degree of flatness, Wilmington will not qualify due to its downhill section. Other things to consider are the presence of a FIM steward which is very expensive and the vehicle will have to be torn down for certification.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RansomT

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2015, 06:56:55 PM »
Oops!  My bad.  Having a problem converting all this km to feet to yards to miles.

The runway in Russia is 5km long.  I think the previous government built it to land their shuttle.  While it looked identical to the one the USA designed, it weighed a lot more.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
The British are already host standing mile one way and two way record attempts UKTA - The UK MIle.  I know you may want to keep any 'records' as National but there is an International audience for the discipline and we have some very fast bikes.

The UK record for the (one way) standing mile is 264.1 mph by Becci Ellis on the BDR Hayabusa, fourth rider in the all time listing.

Record in the best two way average speed classes is Jack Frost at 253.723 mph.  In the two way turbine class I think we have the world's fastest at 225.7585 mph with Zef Eisenberg (233 mph one way). And this last bike was 'naked'.   
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »
Dan
 With the end of the LSR racing season coming up fast at least here on the East Coast I would be interested in helping get something going on the national paved mile records. With the Wilmington and Loring events already established the only detail to work out is the certification for those who would like to set a national paved record. The certification could be part of the inital vehicle inspection if your interested in the national record the displacement and fuel tank sealing could take place at that time.
 The other detail would be the inspectors doing the cetification and how the SCTA if thats the organization keeping track of these records woudl be invloved and finally what the addtional cost would be for that service.
  Considerign the poor condtion of the salt flats it might be some time before we have the opertunity to run there so the national paved record idea could help during the salt's healing process. 
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2015, 11:15:23 PM »
Would any meeting be viable with classes limited by speed capability to the 'smaller' cubic capacities?

The currently scheduled 1.5 mile meets could easily add a set of lights to time a one way flying kilo, just for information purposes. A population of vehicles with known world record potential would result, and enough interest might be generated.

The Mojave Mile/Magnum can already do this, as we can now record speeds at two separate distances.  We can time any two of 1 Kilometer/1 Mile/1.5 miles in the same pass.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »
They are trying to do 1/4, 1/2 and one mile at Colorado mile this weekend.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dw230

« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »
Ronnie,

Thanks for the offer. Taking your questions and statements out of order, first SCTA does not charge for any of it's services. Inspection, record cert, etc. are a part of your association membership, all done by the volunteers. I am guessing ECTA and LTA operate the same way.

Certification done at the time of inspection would not work well in my opinion. The time it takes to measure displacement can take up to 20 minutes if the inspection team has every thing in place. This would hold up all the racers who are anxious to get on with the program. To seal tanks vrs. checking gasoline compliance will not ensure that the competitor is using said legal gas. In fact, if I understand correctly from last week, Loring does not seal tanks inferring that there are no gasoline checks done.

I am used to the SCTA and it's methods as I have been doing LSR since 1963. Without bragging I feel the SCTA has the credibility and history for legit record certification.

I am willing to explore this option with anyone who wants to expand my initial idea. I must warn you that the SCTA board has not approved my thoughts and there is still no certainty of future mile and mile.5 events.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »
Dan I understand what you mean about the time it will take for the certification. Take ECTA as an example  the entire day Friday is pit set up and inspection. I think the extra time needed for the engine cert on Friday is doable maybe locate that portion of the inspection to another area for those wanting to run for the national record. Take my choice of power a flathead Ford V-8 the engine cert would take some time considering the heads need to be removed I would prefer getting the engine size verified before I run to save time.  Fuel tanks can be sealed by the person dispensing the fuel just like its done on the salt. A  few modifications to the way its done now but easy to adjust to if this can take place.
 With only Saturday and Sunday for racing using Friday for the certification would allow racers the opportunity to race more and be a better use of the time my thoughts at least. Being an SCTA member for the national record recognition would work perfectly. The rule books for ECTA and LTA are very close to the SCTA book any slight differences if needed I would think could be worked out.
   This weekend a number of SCTA members who only ran on the salt in the past were running at the Loring event. Overall it looks like their speeds are off by around 10 to 15 MPH compared to their numbers from the salt that's some of the vintage engine cars.
 To make this happen first I think the SCTA board needs to be receptive to your idea if that takes place then I would hope the ECTA and LTA would show interest in the idea I know I would push for this and I'm sure I would not be alone in doing so. Maybe do something like this take the June event and list the option for making a national record attempt use it as a test to see how well it would work.
    Having the record recognized by the SCTA in my opinion is the only way to go I agree with your statement the SCTA has the credibility and history for legit record certification.
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717

Offline tortoise

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »
Would any meeting be viable with classes limited by speed capability to the 'smaller' cubic capacities?

The currently scheduled 1.5 mile meets could easily add a set of lights to time a one way flying kilo, just for information purposes. A population of vehicles with known world record potential would result, and enough interest might be generated.

The Mojave Mile/Magnum can already do this, as we can now record speeds at two separate distances.  We can time any two of 1 Kilometer/1 Mile/1.5 miles in the same pass.

Just to be clear, what I was suggesting was a time for the last kilometer of the 1.5 mile course. This would be for anyone thinking about breaking a FIA or FIM flying kilo record  Such a record would require a 2-way run through the same kilo, but if there's enough room to stop in one direction, this would leave the same distance (about 7/8 mile) to stop in the other direction.   Malcolm UK has pointed out that the FIM, in particular, sets minimum course lengths for such attempts. 

Anyhow, maybe nobody cares, and a drag race style trap at the end of the mile is coming to be the accepted standard for who has the fastest car. Dunno.

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Tortoise
 The name of this topic is National Paved Mile Records the FIA and FIM flying kilo records are a completely separate subject unless im missing something here.
 Considering how the ECTA has timed the mile for the past 20 years and the LTA for the last 5 years the 132 foot trap is the way its done and as I see it will continue to be the standard. SCTA if they so decide should be the authority for the record keeping as it relates to the name on this topic.
  The current venues being used here on the East Coast would not work well for the required two way run through the same kilo needed for the FIA and FIM record. Changing the direction of staging and the start to finish line would be a big pain during a regular meet. However I imagine A special meet held just for the required FIA and FIM rules would be the only way to do it. Well at least that's how I see it.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2015, 07:24:05 PM »
Doesn't make much sense to certify vehicles before they even run.  They could break, not qualify, or not even run.  And who's to say they weren't "modified" after they were "certified".  Lots of time wasted on that effort.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline tortoise

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2015, 03:13:29 PM »
One record requires no certification for class legality, and that's the fastest car or bike in the standing start mile, period. Fastest bike would seem to be Bill Warner's 311. Fastest car speed I've found is Patrick O'Gorman in the Ford GT at Texas, 278.20. Have I missed a faster one?

Is anyone building a special-construction car to go faster?

Offline JR529

« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2015, 03:22:22 PM »
Fastest car over 1 mile is 323 MPH at Texas,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6qvmbTiZXk

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2015, 03:45:09 PM »
Thrust ?     

Offline bubruins

« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
IIRC Bill Warner went 296mph in the standing mile for the fastest motorcycle; 311mph in 1.5 mile. Very impressive either way.

To my knowledge 283mph Ford GT is the fastest car wheel driven record in the standing mile.

FYI the 323mph record at the Texas Mile was not wheel driven, but a huge accomplishment nonetheless.