Author Topic: Racer Spokesman  (Read 23029 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Racer Spokesman
« on: July 23, 2015, 04:04:43 PM »
  Over the last few days and jumping back and forth perusing different topics but all related, I kept thinking back to the half hour "round table" discussion that The Salt Lake Tribune aired on line which featured their moderator, a non-committal College Geologist', and a very naïve looking young cub reporter who In a previous post I nominated for this year's Pulitzer Prize and a Gentleman names Stuart whose last name I didn't catch but appears to be Stuart Goeslin (sorry if I misspelled) who is a P.R. employee of SEMA and spokesman for Save The Salt.
  I posted afterward's that having no idea who he was, I thought given most likely short notice and given the fact that He was sharing time (thiry minutes total) with three other  speakers, He handled questions pretty well although I didn't feel His answers showed depth of knowledge.
  A few other posters did not give him quite as good of a revue.
  This led Me to ponder whether or not SEMA whose logo is at the top of the STS letterhead, and most likely the largest Contributor from the outside World insisted on furnishing the P.R. spokesman as part of their involvement.  I am neither suggesting nor accusing anyone in STS of anything, just pondering.
  This led Me to ask myself "what if their was no STS"?  Let's say that The Executive Board of the SCTA was approached by the membership and a motion was made to form a SCTA led effort (similar to STS) and it was seconded and voted on by the SCTA Club Reps and approved.
  Next it was decided that the SCTA/BNI along wih The Member Clubs Representitives (one from each club) would become the Supreme Commanders of our group.
In my mind the first order of Business would be to Nominate and vote on a P.R. spokesman for our group.  Now comes the difficult part: qualifications and acceptance.
  The ideal person would be a long time member who is well respected, knowledgeable, level headed and able to on short notice appear in the media or represent us in any negotiations with the BLM or Intrepid, or give testimony in hearings on our behalf.  He would be paid for His time and expenses by the SCTA/BNI and hopefully USFRA with the knowledge and understanding that it might be a near full time job.
  This person would need to be retired, self employed or have a very understanding Boss.
  I am not trying to add to the already confusing mess we currently have thanks in part to STS and their lack of information for all of the LSR community.  I am still commited to backing and hopefully helping STS but IF IT IS POSSIBLE, I  would like to see a fellow member of SCTA/BNI or USFRA BE their spokesman and although I only know most by name, if I was nominating and the list of Nominee's all fit the bill,  I would  suggest that amongst them be Dan Warner, Mike Cook, Roy Creel' Mike Manghelli, Miriam MacMillan or... the list goes on and on.
                                                                         only pondering and asking your thoughts, and in respect of all (Including STS),
                                                                                                                          Bob Drury
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 05:05:38 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Racer Spokesman
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:49:23 PM »
I am rather upset that at a time when we've seen 4 or 5 events rained out, a lands end area virtually impassable and courses that are insufficient to race, STS is unnervingly quiet.

Is it that STS simply doesn't have the manpower to stay on top of what is essentially an activist cause? 

Is it the cooperative approach with Intrepid - the muscle that actually moves salt back to the flats, and therefore a partner that STS can't afford to lose - that might be making the arrangement too cozy?

And is it that there is no clear alternative short of a class action suit that serves the community better than STS?

Geez, I don't want to slam 'em - I want to believe they are doing good, effective work. 

I'm just not seeing a lot of evidence.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:13:28 PM »
Bob, I won't move your post (and Chris') over to the new generic Salt Flats are in bad shape topic 'til you give me the okay.  I don't know if I could get it to locate on the beginning of the many pages and I don't want to diminish the impact of what you say -- so at least for now I'll leave it be.  Maybe later, though. . .
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
I am rather upset that at a time when we've seen 4 or 5 events rained out, a lands end area virtually impassable and courses that are insufficient to race, STS is unnervingly quiet.....

I fail to see how STS could control rain-outs, mud coming onto the salt and the roads end problem has been there for years and I would rather see them spend their efforts on the larger problem of actually saving the salt vs. fixing the problem at the end of the road.

There are racers that have committed tons of their time to this over the years.  If you had access to SCTA minutes and such you would know the names.  Maybe join a club?  Bob I think you are a fellow SDRC member and we get those minutes so you would know who has been doing the work for some time.  Let's support them and not call them out.  Get a hold of them and see if you can do something on a personal level to help.  If after that effort you are still discouraged then take off on a different tract,

Sumner

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:40:55 PM »
Go to 29 minutes in this video to see what the BLM had to say in 89.
  Sid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekb4YI9UMfs

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 07:58:08 PM »
Sumner, this is precisely why I made my post in the form of questions.

I certainly don't blame STS for the weather.  As to silt from the mountains, would a properly managed salt flat been better able to handle what's occurred with weather the last two years?  STS seems - at least outwardly - dependent upon Intrepid's willingness to help, but is this a case of the fox guarding the hen house?

I will say this, though.  If STS is in communication with the clubs, but not doing the press releases to the outside world, the effectiveness of the organization is minimized by simply preaching to the converted.     

If my tone seems accusatory, or as one who is armchair quarterbacking, please know that I have volunteered time, capital and effort to causes I believe in through volunteer organizations.  So it's my understanding of the constant gnawing of a volunteer job, important to so many, and one that seems huge, that I look at a website that hasn't provided any mention of new developments since last year, that there has been virtually no press regarding STS's efforts in any of the journalism I consume, and during what has clearly become a critical point in LSR, that I sense evidence of burn out in the organization.

Is this a case of too much work falling to too few shoulders?

My perceptions may be way off base - and again, this is why my post is in the form of questions.

I see your point as well - yes, it looks like they're being called out.  But from my perspective, I guess I'm just knocking on a neighbor's door and inquiring "are you okay"?

And seeing as you've called me out - and rightfully so - before this night is over, I will drop an e-mail to Stuart Gosswein and ask how I can help.

Respectfully,

Chris Conrad  

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 08:03:19 PM »
Ain't video a buick? On a side note, 32 min in, wow they are so much closer to the highway!

Bob, I think you may have a good idea with the spokesman. Someone deeply involved and knowledgeable on the subject with the time to focus on it would be great. Stuart did a decent job based on the fact that he is a lawyer and is probably more versed in the legal side than the physical side that they were talking about in the trib talks.
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »
  Sum, I am and do but I wonder if Russ Eyers or anyone else that just came back from the Salt are aware of any more than you or I.
   I am not going to say this ever again (I hope) so I will refer you to Midgets reply.  We desperately want to Help but for many of us, other than  a couple of Hundred bucks at most We can't offer any thing but Help and We cannot offer Help if we don't know how.
  Let me ask you a hypothetical question.  Let's say You have just inherited $100,000.  Next You receive a letter from the IRS stating that unless You Invest $50,000 into the Stock Market within five days that it becomes theirs.  And let's assume that you know nothing about stocks and bonds.  You call a few friends and ask what they know and none of them knows any thing either but one of them says his brother knows a Guy who is as honest as the day is long and suggests You give Him a call.
  By now You are down to two days time and have met the Broker.  He looks Honest and seems to be  knowledgable but in fact you have no way of knowing.  He says to you that given the fact that  He must act quickly He needs to research before investing so to save time asks you to Sign a paper giving Him the right to Invest your money.
  Now you don't have any choice but to hand Him $50,000 bucks and Hope for the Best.
  As ridiculous as this scenario is, How can You Sum, consider sending STS a chunk of your probably meager pension without any Idea How it is being spent?
   Sorry, I haven't raced for two years because I don't have The seven to eight Grand to repair the motor nor the $3,000. That it costs Me to make the trip, house and feed My crew, Pay for my Entry and replace the two or three trailer tires that usually blow out in the boonies.
                                                                                     With respect, Bob
Bob Drury

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
Go to 29 minutes in this video to see what the BLM had to say in 89.
  Sid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekb4YI9UMfs

Hmmm.... I wonder if this BLM spokesman were to be found today and interviewed, what would he have to say? I think his answers would be interesting.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 08:48:48 PM »
  Slim, I personally would rather see it as a stand alone just to make people think.  I don't care if nine out of ten tell me that I am a idiot,  at least No one would have to spend a hour trying to find out why everyone seems to be calling this guy a idiot and is only trying to stir sh*t up.  But I won't be upset if You want to move it
  I just feel  and would hope to see each peruser of this site take the time to read and digest the simple question I am asking (Would You prefer to have a racer be the spokesperson for STS or a Professional P.R. non racer).  Nothing was mentioned about bypassing STS and if you read every post I have made, I have not once badmouthed STS or its Members, other than in one post say that If they didn't give at least a brief statement soon, I didn't believe that I would be able to urge anyone else or myself to continue to support STS.  I have much experience in being screwed by Honest People who didn't necessarily steal it but as it turns out were not as smart as I thought and
although they lost money also, my money ended up gone due to their misrepresentation of the risk involved.  
                                                                                                   Bob

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 08:50:59 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 11:01:30 PM »
Bob, I would suggest emailing Stuart. I have been emailing back and forth with him over the past week and have learned a lot. It will actually give a decent insight in to what is being done. I think that their website shows limited information because there are many balls in the air right now and they probably want to give out solid info as opposed to speculation on what they are trying to work through. A possible option could be to invite save the salt to the chat line or some other public discussion. Given that the racing community is spread across the world makes it a bit tough to have a sit down to find out what is going on.
Gabe Gorton
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »
  Basement, Why, Let me tell you why. For several years STS has asked us for donations yet they can't be bothered to put a simple statement on their website or facebook saying something to the effect :   Fellow racers, we apologize for not updating our website for the last thirteen months and hope you will continue to support our efforts. 
  We understand due to all of the recent Media attention and unfortunate cancellation of Speed Week 2015 that all are anxious for a current update and promise to release a update within the next few weeks.  Thank you.
  With that couple of paragraphs which a corporate P.R. guy ought to be able to type, He could quiet this entire broughaha down so we could all go back to our lives and not be worrying about how to tell our wives or sponsors that " err... Honey, I don't know how to tell you this but our beautiful new and almost finished Land Speed Car may be best suited for a dune buggy."            Bob
Bob Drury

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 12:33:12 AM »
I understand you are upset but it's also not like it's that uncommon of a thing. Yes a statement would be great. Do we have one? No. So shoot them an email (they seem fairly responsive) and suggest it. That's all I am saying.... a dune buggy stude might be kind of fun though.
Gabe Gorton
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 01:13:36 AM »
  Thanks basement.  Actually I am not upset, just somewhere between annoyed and amused with a side order of disbelief as I try to sort my previously fried brain  transmissions  into believing this is actually happening.  I need a drink............ of Gatorade.
                                                                                     Night all................... :-P
Bob Drury

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:34:45 AM »
Gabe, what I'm seeing here is a blown opportunity on STS's part.

Again, I realize this is a volunteer organization, but there's been a lot more attention paid to Bonneville in the mainstream press this last week than what usually gets focused on Speedweek in any given year.  Unfortunate attention, indeed, but within that tragedy lies opportunity to raise awareness.

As an organization "whose mission is to protect the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah and to promote its history and motorsports legacy", they seem to be a bit flatfooted capitalizing on this opportunity.

And sadly, this is a golden opportunity.

Press releases, calls to news organizations, current on-line information, making themselves available to the press - this doesn't appear to be happening in any measurement other than minimal, yet the international spotlight is looking for them, and the only ones getting regular reports are active SCTA club members?

If a ship is sinking, you send the crew to patch the breech, but you wouldn't send the communications officer below deck to tell the folks patching the leak that the ship is sinking.  His place would be in the radio room.

And maybe they are sounding the alarm, maybe there are things in the works - but how would we know?