Author Topic: Possable SpeedWeek event. Brit Bikes welcome  (Read 25850 times)

Offline RichFox

Possable SpeedWeek event. Brit Bikes welcome
« on: July 23, 2015, 11:39:12 AM »
10 mins · Edited ·

Attention all SpeedWeek Pre-Entrants, SCTA Members and BNI Members:

Dear SpeedWeek Competitor,

As the President of the Southern California Timing Association and this year’s Bonneville SpeedWeek Race Director it was very difficult having to admit, that there was just not enough good salt to run on. No matter how long we would've waited for Mother Nature to cure and dry the salt flats, SpeedWeek was just not going to happen this year.

We are very much aware of how much effort every one of you Competitors has invested in the building of your race vehicle. Many of you have spent years getting ready for an event like this one. Then finally comes the moment, where you get to ship and transport your race vehicle to the event you have planned for, just to find out it has been cancelled.

Having taken a closer look at our SpeedWeek Pre Entry list, it has made us realize how many overseas competitors have already shipped their vehicles and they are currently sitting here in Southern California with no where to race. Furthermore, looking at social media and some of the popular racing forums it has come to our attention that there are also many more landspeed racing vehicles that would like to have an event in August.
The board was considering having an event at El Mirage Dry Lake, but last Friday the BLM closed it due to rain and there is not enough time for it to dry. Our racing association has spent decades looking into other venues as an alternative to El Mirage without much success.

After days of consideration, we contacted the Event/Race Director of the Mojave Mile to see if there was a possibility to have a landspeed race at their facility. We are excited to report that there is an event date available the same weekend that SpeedWeek was scheduled to begin.

This letter is intended to notify you of a survey that we are conducting to find out if this is feasible. We would need a minimum of 130 confirmed pre-entries with a maximum of 160 total entries. All SCTA & BNI members that are interested in participating at this event are welcome to fill out a survey form. However, all of the SpeedWeek Pre-Entries will be considered first.

The survey link will be posted on the website’s Home Page under "News Flash". The survey will end on Sunday, July 26th at 5:00 pm PST. (USA) - (Please vote via the Survey Form)

Spectators are limited due to the venue.

Event Info:

1. Location would be Mojave Airport in Mojave, Ca.

2. Registration would be Thursday Afternoon, August 6th

3. Inspection would be held Friday, August 7th starting at 8:00 am

4. Driver's Meeting & Track Tour would be on Saturday, August 8th at 7:30 am

5. Racing would be Saturday, August 8th from 8:00 am to dusk and Sunday, August 9th from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm.

6. The Entry Fee is $425 due to the expense of renting this private track, especially on such short notice. You can apply your $425 SpeedWeek Pre-Entry refund check for your entry to Mojave Mile. We will not be charging an Additional Drivers Fee at this event. Each Competitor will receive (1) Timing Tag, (2) Event T-Shirts, (2) SpeedWeek 2015 Participant Hats and (5) Event Armbands.

7. All Drivers/Riders need an Event Armband to enter Airport Property.

8. All Competitors must be an SCTA or BNI Member.

Race Track Info:

1. The runway is 12,500' long x 200' wide.

2. The race track will be 1 mile with a 132' laser trap.

3. The run out/shut off is 1.3 miles.

4. All Race Vehicles must comply with all of the current SCTA Rulebook Rules. Including but not limited to Vehicle Classes & Safety Requirements. I.E. All cars are required to have a minimum of two rear brakes, etc.

5. All vehicles competing in car classes with an established El Mirage record of over 160 mph are required to have one parachute.

6. All confirmed pre-entries will be contacted by an SCTA Official due to the specific requirements for the brakes, parachute, tires, etc.

Looking forward to your responses,

Bill Lattin
SCTA President / Race Director

‪#‎scta‬ ‪#‎speedweek‬ ‪#‎saltflats‬ ‪#‎bonneville‬ ‪#‎landspeed‬

http://www.scta-bni.org/mojave-mile-survey.html
Mojave Mile Survey
scta-bni.org
Like   Comment   Share

You and 4 others like this.
    3 shares
    Rich Fox
    Write a comment...

Brody Hackman Samantha Hackman
    Like · Reply · 1 min
Ripped off of Facebook

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Possable SpeedWeek event. Brit Bikes welcome
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:59:13 AM »
Here's to Bill and the SCTA-BNI organization. 

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Fast foot work and creativity - lemons to lemonade!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:06:41 PM »
  Not what any of us want but at least a chance for all to at least test and tune.  If it in fact happen's I hope every entrant Hug's and Kisses every SCTA worker at the site.
Try not to kiss any that chew tobacco or appear to be drooling.
  Keep in mind that it probably won't have close availability for part's, food, etc. and possibly Event Gas but I am sure that Rick Gold will do his best to have the ERC truck on site.
Bob Drury

Offline dano

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:47:24 PM »
As the President of the Southern California Timing Association and this year’s Bonneville SpeedWeek Race Director it was very difficult having to admit, that there was just not enough good salt to run on. No matter how long we would've waited for Mother Nature to cure and dry the salt flats, SpeedWeek was just not going to happen this year.

Can someone spell out what this means for the rest of the season for me?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:09:50 PM »
I am reading the same thing you are. What I see is that there will be no SpeedWeek. Nothing else. What I hear (rumors) is it's unlikely that other meets will run. But I also here things that are not true every day. So I guess it means you and I will wait and see.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:20:39 PM by RichFox »

Offline Mike Borders

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
  Not what any of us want but at least a chance for all to at least test and tune.  If it in fact happen's I hope every entrant Hug's and Kisses every SCTA worker at the site.
Try not to kiss any that chew tobacco or appear to be drooling.
  Keep in mind that it probably won't have close availability for part's, food, etc. and possibly Event Gas but I am sure that Rick Gold will do his best to have the ERC truck on site.

I can't speak for parts, but there will be a food caterer and a fuel provider (VP Racing Fuels) if the ERC guys can't make it.  Our food caterer is Red House BBQ out of Tehachapi, and he serves breakfast burritos in the AM and other BBQ items for lunch.  His food has been very well-received for the three years he has been serving us.  You will be able to leave your cars and equipment overnight in your pit area as you do at the Salt, as there will be 24-hour security, and sanitation and trash facilities will be available.

We at MKM have been working closely with SCTA since the cancellation to try to put this together.  We are disappointed in the Speed Week cancellation as well, as we were planning to run our "new" BFRMR.  If this event happens, it will be a unique experience for many of you, but be assured we do have experience dealing with Land Speed and ElMo cars.  Push starts are easily accommodated, and the surface is in excellent condition, with no salt to wash out of your chassis when it is over!  Motorcycles can look forward to some exciting passes.  Cars, switch to your shorter gears and chutes and come out for some fun!

Mike Borders
General Manager
MKM Racing Promotions
Home of the Mojave Mile/Magnum

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
The SCTA notice did not mention that any speeds attained will not affect El Mirage records. In fact, as far as I know, no record database will be kept.

I suggested a few years ago when the mile events began to gorw that a National record database be initialized so that racers from all over the country could compare speeds. Didn't happen, maybe some interest now?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Online 1leg

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:31:44 PM »
Personally I think this venue would be a great addition to this organization (SCTA) PLACES TO RACE!  I think it would be great if they could do 3-4 races a year there. It could have it own record data base.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 06:31:40 PM »
Well done Mike and the MKM Organisation for offering racers a superb alternative. 

I hope the British riders & drivers like what they see and do and then come back to these shores (Britain folks) and take part in UKTA Standing Mile events. For bragging rights we have the 'fastest lady rider' on the mile at 264.1 mph - Becci Ellis - and she and Jack Frost will be going head to head over the weekend of August 15/16. [There was no point in offering this event as a way of getting over Bonneville cancellations because bikes and cars are already in the USA].

I am probably biased as I have had working contact with MKM (open road and land speed) for ten years and I played a (very) small part in preparing that back motored roadster. You will find their standards of operation and safety are at the highest level to make racing fun, as well as safe.

I hope the racers support this event, just a shame I cannot get to the USA to see it happen.   
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline sabat

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »
The SCTA notice did not mention that any speeds attained will not affect El Mirage records. In fact, as far as I know, no record database will be kept.

I suggested a few years ago when the mile events began to gorw that a National record database be initialized so that racers from all over the country could compare speeds. Didn't happen, maybe some interest now?

DW

I'm working on it Dan. Dean

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 09:11:57 PM »
The venue and the event sounds like a great alternative.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »

Are the pits in a place where shades can be tied down. It can be really hot and windy. Stakes in asphalt not cool.

222 signed up

JL222 :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 09:38:02 PM by jl222 »

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 10:19:48 PM »
A couple of gallons of water bungee corded to each cover corner of an easy up.
Or maybe a concrete screw in each corner.
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 12:21:07 AM »
I love the friendly folks from MKM and admire the excellent job they do in organizing the Mojave Mile/Magnum events.
We've run fast street cars there the last couple of years and enjoyed every minute of it.

However, we've found the runway surface to be less than ideal for typical, low-ground-clearance LSR vehicles, especially those with no or marginal suspension, (such as our roadster).

To all participants in the proposed Mojave SCTA event: Have fun - but be careful out there!
For us, it's hoping for a dry El Mirage and a salty Bonneville Salt Flats.

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline vintageracecar

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:20:29 AM »
Willi,
Glad you had a great time at the Mojave Mile events.
Just to explain to the rest of the LSR community (who may not know your car) some of the stats of your Roadster.
Wheel base is about 200" ?, Suspension.... is not there-Fully Ridget front and back, with about 1 1/2" of ground clearance
and a really low hanging nose.
Awesome car, Love it !! But I have to agree, there are better suited cars to run at the Mojave Mile event then yours.
Mike