Author Topic: UNLIMITED M/C CLASS  (Read 23899 times)

Offline maj

Re: UNLIMITED M/C CLASS
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
Are there any motors in your desired style centre plug ? that only need access for the caliper type tool to measure capacity ?

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »
I'm no expert but in the records section of the rule book they show records for 2000cc, 3000cc and 3001cc+.  From what I know the SCTA won't let a smaller displacement engine run in a larger class.  So, to me, if you have a displacement of 2950cc you would be required to run in the 3000cc class.  If you could open the engines out 26cc each you would be in the unlimited class.  Like I said I'm no expert but I don't see any ambiguity in the class displacement rules.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JimL

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2015, 11:05:58 PM »
Just thinking....if Max ran 2950cc worth of big V-twins (vintage) and a vintage (60cc or bigger) small motorcycle engine, the combination would add up to over 3000cc.  I don't see anything in the rule book about all the engines continuously driving the rear wheel...or even staying connected during every run.

If someone wanted to get picky about it, that 3rd engine could use a friction drive roller against the rear tire to help get the bike rolling off the line.  I think a foot pedal release (with engine kill switch) would keep it from doing anything after the first 10-20 feet, but it would absolutely be part of the powertrain used for his runs.  A little, old time, two-stroke would be just right for the job!

Just thinking..... :wink:

Offline Freud

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2015, 11:18:47 PM »
Jim, if we do get on the salt and at the same time, please stop by the Treit and Davenport circus tent pit area.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2015, 11:48:42 PM »
JimL.  Wasn't there a streamliner that turned up at El Mirage with an engine in a trailer so it could run in a bigger class.  I don't remember the detail but I think the fan was busy with all that hit it,
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:09 AM »
Rick Yacoucci In the Neb 2 car had the Tag Engine that didn't run.In order to move up into the 3 liter class. They let that slide, but said no more. So nice thought guy. But you are to late.

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
If the engine runs and was made to drive the rear wheel , I feel it would be legal, no reason it wouldn't be. Now all I have to do is find a 100 cc vintage 4 stroke engine figure out where to put it and how to hook it up. So many rules have made it to the rule book to protect certain class's for instance a push rod has to be so long to be a push rod. The Vincent's fought that one and finally won.

Cheers,

Max 

Offline JimL

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 09:45:01 AM »
Correct, Max, not a dummy engine but part of the powertrain to assist with the launch.  It seems to me that this would really help some of the heavy, long bikes.  We cannot push them off with the cars and the gears needed to launch cannot be done on most of our budgets.  These situations are a problem, and all the work done on EZ Hook is the proof of that fact.

I was there in line in '69 when Bob Leppan tried to launch his liner with a single 750 triple and the correct top-speed gear choice.  It smoked the clutch in 1st gear despite being towed off with the van.  This  really is an age old problem for bikes.

On my little engined (but heavy) bike we had been pushing each other off by hand.  We were  sometimes close to falling down leaving the line because I was launching in a "1st gear" that runs out to about 85 mph.  That is almost as fast as the original bikes top speed was in 5th gear.  With only 680 cc in a 750cc pushrod class I could not go faster because I would never see "175 in the 1/4" no matter what I did (it was over 165 at the 3 and still accelerating.) I wish I would have thought out this boost-engine idea before now, but the bike is done with.

If the salt doesnt start getting longer you are all going to need more efficient launch and acceleration to be able to continue bumping records.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:55:19 AM by JimL »

Offline dw230

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2015, 10:45:46 AM »
Following the Rick Yacoucci experience at El Mirage the highlighte sentence was added to the rule book the following year. 2015 rule book, 2.A ENGINES, page 18:

Any internal combustion engine using either a two-stroke or four-stroke Otto cycle or Diesel cycle may run in any
category, except for Vintage Engine classes, see 2.A.1, hereinafter described. In XF, XO, XXF, XXO, V4 and V4F
classes, non-production engines or after-market blocks (even though they accept production crankshafts, cams and
cylinder heads) may not be used. All other engines that transmit the power through the wheels only may run in Ω class. Only Streamliners and Unlimited Diesel Trucks may use more than one engine at the same time. For any engine to be considered for cubic inch (or cc) requirements, the engine shall have contributed to the propulsion of the vehicle. Reaction propulsion engines are prohibited."

I can see from the conversation that some wordsmithing, such as - for the entire run, should be added. This because of the disconnect comment from JimL.
DW
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:18:07 AM by Dynoroom »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2015, 10:47:19 AM »
Reread my post. The highlight did not take, please notice the next to last sentence beginning with "For any engine ..."

Thanks,
DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline RichFox

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »
Perhaps a small engine driving a supercharger that feeds into the main engine would count

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
So are you saying that a piston that is a part of the said cc of the bike must contribute power for the entire run ? What if a hole appears in its crown half way through the run and delivers no more power , would this be a disqualifying factor?

CHEERS,

Max 

Offline dw230

« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »
Yes Max, that would disqualify the run, much the same as tossing a blower belt take the vehicle from blower class to unblown class after the run begins.

Really?
DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2015, 12:29:57 PM »
Rich,

Page 64, 2015 rule book:

4.FF   SUPERCHARGED:
For purposes of classification, Blown (supercharged) will be an artificially-aspirated engine with a mechanically-driven supercharger and/or exhaust-driven turbocharger powered by the primary engine. The supercharger or turbocharger must pressurize the intake system above atmospheric
pressure.
This will also include systems such as turbo-compounding. All other engines (normally-aspirated) will be classified as Unblown.

You have read the entire rule book,
DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2015, 01:12:50 PM »
So next question, if you shut off before the timing traps and you coast thru the timed traps , you would receive a timing slip BUT BY YOUR WORDS NO BLOWER TURNING -------- :? this is getting silly and as SPOCK  use to say STAR T " THAT IS NOT LOGICAL"

CHEERS,

Max

How many records have been set with broken engines, a lot I would guess.