Author Topic: Trying to change from SCTA rules to BMST rules  (Read 8268 times)

Offline sofadriver

Trying to change from SCTA rules to BMST rules
« on: July 22, 2015, 10:06:47 PM »
I'd always planned to run at Speedweek just because they're the same group I used to read about in magazines back in the 60's.  So, now that's not going to happen so I'm trying to comply with a whole new set of rules for BMST. And in a hurry!  Hopefully one of you will know where I can ask my tech questions but in the meantime I've got some questions.

Do I need firesleeve on my fuel tank's vent line?

Para.7h of the rulebook says the rear wheel must remain visible at all times as viewed from the side.  Are they referring to fenders, body panels, etc. or to the riders feet, ankles, legs?

Para. 2N (leathers) makes no mention of speed humps.  So are they legal and unrestricted?

Para. 2H says the rider must have 10" between thumbs but also that bars must extend 6" wider than the fork tubes. Is that 6" on each side or total? (example; if the forks are 10" wide do the ends of the bars need to be 16" apart or 22" apart?)

The body that I built for BNI is totally illegal for BMST  :cry: so I'm going to run A/AG (open) and put the body back on for a few runwhatyoubrung passes.  One way or another, this thing is going to run at Bonneville!
Mike in Tacoma

"aww, what the hell - let's just do it".............

Bike #833
100cc A/G, A/F and APS/G (in 2019)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Trying to change from SCTA rules to BMST rules
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »
Boy I like your attitude. Go for it Mike!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:15:37 AM »
Mike, there is a speedlimit for RWB.... IIRC...
Contact Drew Gatewood... AHG on this site, He will be able to answer all your questions
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:49:17 AM »
Look in special construction partial streamliner.

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 07:53:08 PM »
Look in special construction partial streamliner.
Can't run in APS - fairings aren't legal :x
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 09:17:52 PM »
Mike.........bring your fairing and have the tech crew tell you what is not legal..............then decide if you want to trim (cut) or not.  Regarding the open rear wheel..........you may be able to cover the forward upper area with number plates if you have no other place to display your number and bike class. So grab a set of plates just in case.  Regarding the handlebar 6" rule...........that's not wider than the forks.........its FROM the forks...........this prevents people from mounting the hand-grips more forward or behind the forks. I compete in the M classes and my grips are somewhat behind the forks and close to the 10-inch rule as measured at the thumbs. 
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 11:07:05 PM »
Mike please, oh PLEASE, don't cut those beautiful fairings! I would definitely bring them though just in case you can get them to pass. Also, there is always WOS and WF if BMST doesn't pan out in which case, no problem!
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:42:32 AM »
Mike.........bring your fairing and have the tech crew tell you what is not legal..............then decide if you want to trim (cut) or not.  Regarding the open rear wheel..........you may be able to cover the forward upper area with number plates if you have no other place to display your number and bike class. So grab a set of plates just in case.  Regarding the handlebar 6" rule...........that's not wider than the forks.........its FROM the forks...........this prevents people from mounting the hand-grips more forward or behind the forks. I compete in the M classes and my grips are somewhat behind the forks and close to the 10-inch rule as measured at the thumbs. 
Thanks, Dave. OK, I get the handlebar rule now.  My real concern here is whether or not the rear wheel is "visible" if partially covered by my legs.

Gabe, no amount of cutting is going to make these fairings legal and still functional.  I'm going to run it naked and then put the fairings back on for some "run what you brung" passes. I don't want to look back on all this and regret that I never ran with them on.
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833

Offline Pippi2

• "Do or do not.... there is no try"
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »
Have technical questions?
tech@bonnevillespeedtrials.com
send photos

-Linnea
BMST Registration

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:00:42 PM »
Mike, there is a speedlimit for RWB.... IIRC...

speed limit for run whatcha brung???  Since when?

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »
That was posted by Stainless :roll: I never made it to the bike meet.

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
Mike,
In what way do you think your fairings are illegal?  I haven't seen a photo of you on the bike, but unless your rear bodywork extends more than 10" behind the rear wheel, or is closer to the ground than 4" behind the rear axle, or if your head is buried under the front fairing, I don't see anything that won't pass.

8. A. PARTIAL STREAMLINING
A minimum of 180 continuous degrees shall be showing of the front wheel. It shall not be blocked by streamlining. There must be no streamlining forward of the leading edge of the front tire exceeding 2-inches.
With the rider in the racing position, the rider must be able to be seen (hands and fore-arms excluded) entirely from either side and above. Windshields are the only acceptable use of transparent material.
8. B. SEAT/ TAIL SECTION
Seat/tail section streamlining shall meet the following criteria. Streamlining shall not extend beyond the rear edge of the rear tire more than 10-inches. It shall not be closer than 4-inches from the ground without motorcycle on stands and with rider seated in racing position.

Tom
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:34:59 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 08:03:57 PM »
Tom, if I were to guess I would say the big problem is the 180 degrees on the front wheel. Check out his build diary, there are some good pics on there. http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,14674.270.html
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 09:29:48 PM »
That could be, but the rule doesn't say which 180º, so possibly making a slash cut off the front fender to expose 180º leaving a minimal bit at the top to keep most of the salt out of the face might be legal.

I don't have an SCTA rulebook, but is that fender legal in SCTA?

Tom
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:32:41 PM by Koncretekid »
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline sofadriver

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 12:18:57 AM »
The problem is that the fairing cheeks cover half the front wheel and my legs are not fully visible from above.  Both are legal for SCTA rules.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14674.0;attach=51763;image
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 12:36:00 AM by sofadriver »
Mike in Tacoma

Bike #833