Author Topic: Overseas competitors?  (Read 43815 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Overseas competitors?
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
SCTA will be streaming the audio from SpeedWeek -- and so, I hope, will landracing.com
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Frenchinjection

• APS-BPS 750 Triumph Twin 775 . 152.35 record
    • Saltbike 775
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2015, 04:43:34 PM »
Our bikes have arrived in LA, most of us arrive on the 3rd.  Speed week is off and There does not seem anywhere we can run the bikes so who in California and the surrounding area wants to meet up and party with 20+ English men and women.  We don't drink much and we are usually in bed by 11, the next day:-)

Serious though.    For most of us this is a holiday, and an expensive one.  We need to do something.  Idea's please if you are up for a serious bit of bench racing, drinking, hanging out or just cluttering up your workshop with people.

Steve #775B

PS, I organised this.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
  Steve, although it might not be Your particular "cup of tea", and depending on where you actually set foot in the U.S. you might check The websites for The AMA, World of Outlaw (Sprint Cars), Sports Car, Stock Car (Nascar) or Drag Racing for Races in the Area.
  The Goodguy's Sreet Rod event in Pleasanton, California (East of San Fransisco) occurs about the same time, and depending on where you are you can jump on Bus Tours of National Parks such as Yellowstone which is a couple of hundred miles north of SLC or Rent a couple of Van's and head South to The Moab area (Where Sum(ner) Patterson one of our Bville competitors has been known to rescue  folks in need (No Soccer Hooligans though).
  Keep in mind that as long as you respect the fact that  We kicked your Acura in 1776 and also that its not thought of as polite to spit out Cold Beer over on this side of the Atlantic, Where ever you go, ask the first Biker who doesn't have a Crescent Wrench chained to his Nose, or any Hot Rodder what's Happening in the area.
  Do not plan on Staying in Wendover for more than two days max.  Other than the Enola Gay Museum, There ain't much else to do and the slot machines favor the house.
                                                                                          Bob  (Hey, I'll bet Stainless would love for the whole group to stay at His House if your in Kansas) :evil: :evil: :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:16:37 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Frenchinjection

• APS-BPS 750 Triumph Twin 775 . 152.35 record
    • Saltbike 775
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »
Bob, I am working late into the night for alternatives.  Wendover is not even on the radar.  So far, we have Sturgis, short flight there and back, or long road trip.  Iv'e been to SF many years ago, but it needs doing again so this is a good chance.  I'm also looking at flight changes to change our flight from DFW to ONT ca to DFW to New Orleans.   So many ideas, need to make my mind up soon.  Nearest NHRA is Vancover, last year I checked for alternatives but to depressed to even bother so we went home early.  This year, we have to make a holiday.

Offline BasementBorn

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2015, 05:59:15 PM »
If you end up near Portland Oregon you could check out the World of Speed Museum http://www.worldofspeed.org/ . Portland International Raceway http://portlandraceway.com/ is pretty close too. It looks like NHRA may be at Pacific Raceway outside of Seattle at that time too http://pacificraceways.com/nhra/event-tickets/ .
Gabe Gorton
Gorton Racing 1060 650APS-BG
Team Banana 1361 F/CPRO

Offline JamesJ

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2015, 06:32:32 PM »
As mentioned earlier the Good Guys meet in Pleasanton, CA is pretty cool. They do a trip everyday during the week leading up to the weekend.  Shop tours, museum tours, personal collections, other car shows, car clubs etc...  We did it about 13 years ago, lots of fun. 

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2015, 09:52:45 PM »
Steve - I was just wondering aloud to myself.

If your party were willing to leave the bikes behind for next year, might the World of Speed museum be interested in a display that would include the bikes brought over?

They'd be under the watchful eye of the museum's security, stanchioned off from the crowd, and save you the cost of returning them - yet again.

I see Triumph sponsors the bike end of it.

The obvious downside would be inability to further develop the bikes.

Just a thought.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2015, 10:10:59 PM »
There is room for one bike over the winter in my shed.  It will be safe.  A golden retriever is in charge of security.  We are in Salem and this is 45 minutes from Portland. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2015, 12:52:36 AM »
On your laptop, check out the McMinimin's Edgefield.  It is a poorhouse converted to a hotel just east of Portland.  Also, try McMinimin's Hotel Oregon in McMinnville.  My favorite is the McMiniman's Crystal Ballroom in the Pearl District in Portland.  They have pubs in all of their lodging places and also have enough room for you all.  There is all sorts of things to do in and around Portland.  It is a real nice city. 

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2015, 01:51:10 AM »
Respectfully, http://www.mcmenamins.com/ (what's a couple of vowels among friends?)

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Mike
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 01:53:00 AM by 4-barrel Mike »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2015, 06:05:59 AM »
We at the LTA are sorry to hear about SpeedWeek and have a ton of calls from racers looking for a place to run. 
The answer is yes, we will fit racers in this weekend that head east.
All of the Brits can also ship their bikes over for our fall event.  Between British Cycle Supply that now has a warehouse 500 yards from the track and us, we probably have the capacity to store about 1,000 bikes.

All the best and hope to see some more weary travelers in a few days

Tim & Joe
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline triumphrpm

• New folks
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »
Bob, I am working late into the night for alternatives.  Wendover is not even on the radar.  So far, we have Sturgis, short flight there and back, or long road trip.  Iv'e been to SF many years ago, but it needs doing again so this is a good chance.  I'm also looking at flight changes to change our flight from DFW to ONT ca to DFW to New Orleans.   So many ideas, need to make my mind up soon.  Nearest NHRA is Vancover, last year I checked for alternatives but to depressed to even bother so we went home early.  This year, we have to make a holiday.

Since we are not going to Speedweek now and you stop by DFW you can come hang out with us for a weekend. Big Brit bike community here that would make sure you have fun.
my email keith@bigdcycle.com