Author Topic: Here goes nothing...  (Read 7193 times)

Offline Kiwi Paul

Re: Here goes nothing...
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 12:22:43 AM »
By the way, `burbanite, you might take some time to look up the Chief Inspector while you are at El Mirage....

Then you both can debate who had the `Kiwi Steve` moniker first......

There are other Kiwi`s lurking here as well. Sid is always somewhere at Bonneville, and I can usually be found in Inspection as well....Got to have a Kiwi at the bottom to balance out the one at the top, you see....

There will also be five or six Cars and Bikes coming over from NZ to run this year---but you probably knew that already, yes?

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline tauruck

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 04:03:22 AM »
Where I come from the Kiwis are called the ALL BLACKS!!!!!.
Tough bunch you don't wanna mess with. :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

We love them anyway. No Bs, just straight up good guys. :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 04:05:05 AM by tauruck »

Offline FADED

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 11:08:17 AM »
It should be a nice weekend out there! a little warm but not extreme? ( I like the desert heat). You should bounce around to watch the race, watch at the start line, you get the full effect, sights, sounds and smells. Then venture down to the finish line to watch them at speed. Dont be affraid to wander the pits either, one of the things that has kept me interested is the people, WHAT A GREAT GROUP! When we go to ElMo we're happy to be out of the house and the wife is happy to get us OUT of the house, she's tried but she's not a El Mirage kinda lady. Have fun and maybe if your (or us) are lucky you can see my bike blaze by in the high 90's, dont blink.  :cheers:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »
i concur with lance.  wife is happiest at home while i'm out playing in the dirt and i'm probably happier that way too.  it takes a special kinda lady to put up with el mirage.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
To get the best spectating experience plan on moving around the course. Start near the starting line as previously mentioned. Then go to about half track and watch and hear the cars get up to speed and go through the gears. Next move up to the finish line by the timing trailer to see and hear the cars and bikes go through the lights and pop the chutes. The South side of the course is a little less dusty as the prevailing wind seems to blow either down the course or slightly south to north. On the North side you get some of the dust kicked up by the race cars, but you are right up by the return road and you can watch them returning to the pits.

In any case have fun!

Tom

Offline MRK

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2015, 01:54:06 PM »
Hey burbanite! I'm rolling up from the SCV as well. I've found in the short time that I've been hangin' around, just about everybody is super cool. Cruise around and get a feel for the place. You'll find your own sweet spot. There's always shade and something cold to drink at the registration / impound trailer. Come on by and introduce yourself! Cheers, Mike  :cheers:
"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting." Steve McQueen

Offline burbanite

• New folks
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2015, 06:01:38 PM »
Lots of great advice and encouragement from you good folk! I'm looking forward to the adventure.

My wife isn't afraid of the outdoors although she does have some serious health issues that cannot be fixed so she loves to get out and about whenever she feels good. She seems keen to do this so I'll make sure she gets the full effect using the tips everyone has given me, thanks to all of you.

I did Pikes Peak the week before last and that was another unique one to check off the list, odd getting up at 12:30 AM to go to the track...
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2015, 06:15:18 PM »
Take sun screen,lots of water and a good sun hat. Enjoy.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2015, 07:09:55 PM »
Burbanite,

A few other things to consider: Take a couple folding lawn chairs for watching runs down the course. Not necessary on the starting line. Visit the Inspection Area for a little while. Most people go through Tech the day before but some arrive the day of the meet. Also visit the Merchandise Trailer by the Starting Line. Food is usually available from a catering truck.

Tom

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2015, 07:52:20 PM »
If you do not set up some sort of shelter, seriously consider having a small personal or patio umbrella for when sitting in your chair viewing the cars run.

A few years ago we were watching the cars run at the 2.5 mile and  a young Dutch couple stopped to watch as they were driving by on I80.

They sat down and watched for a bit in the direct sun, and in my mind you could just hear them slowly cooking. I dug out a small spare umbrella and loaned it to them and they were very very grateful for the shade. On days when there is little wind (ideal conditions for the cars) you need more than a wide brimmed hat to keep from being slowly cooked by the sun. Keep in mind you are getting a lot of sun reflected off the white salt mid day so you can get sunburned on the bottom of your chin and other places you normally do not need to worry about.

Dehydration is also something to keep in mind, especially if you are not used to being out in the sun in a desert environment. I have found that I am much happier out there if early in the morning I drink a lot of water (like to the point that I slosh when I walk). That gets your body ahead of the game on hydration. Your normal thirst reflex will only force you to drink about 45-50% of the water you really need. If you don't have to pee all the time, you are not drinking enough.

You need a minimum of 2 liters of fluid intake a day in those conditions.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 08:00:16 PM by hotrod »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2015, 10:10:53 PM »
Not much to see at the 2 1/2 at El Mirage but the BLM and possibly Lee Kennedy, wondering what a car is doing there.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2015, 12:31:43 AM »
Not much to see at the 2 1/2 at El Mirage but the BLM and possibly Lee Kennedy, wondering what a car is doing there.

A car sitting at the 2.5 at ElMo is probably stuck in the mud, from last year...........
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.