Author Topic: Switching from CGALT to CGBALT  (Read 2997 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Switching from CGALT to CGBALT
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:44:53 PM »

We have decided to take this year gather our parts to switch from the D naturally aspirated motor to a roots blower motor. I know there is a lot of data saying centrifugal  or turbo forced induction is better...I just like a roots on a classic class car. So I am not asking which is better. What I would like to know is any unforeseen lessons I can learn here versus the hard way.

302 cu in, 4 bolt Motown block, steel crank, , H beam Scat rods, AFR 210 runners, 65cc chamber heads, 1 3/4" Dynotech headers. This combo maid 492 on 110 with 17.1 on the vacuum pump. Pistons/cam will need to be change currently running 11:1. We start with carburetors because we have them and switch to mechanical injection the following year.

Dyers has recommended a 6-71 plain rotors no Teflon, we will have to port the intake to match the 1206 gasket. About 5%-10%  overdive for 15 psi.

some questions:

1. O-ring heads?
2. Best head gaskets?
3. What impact on running temp will the blower have?

Please share any knowledge, ideas or experiences.

Thanks

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Switching from CGALT to CGBALT
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »
If non-intercooled, IATs will be high with a roots blower.  I'd suggest water injection which is legal for gas - or a blower that's more efficient than a roots.  Hooley (Whooley?) ran water injection in the Studey and swears by it. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »
Bill,

My suggestions:
1.  no O-rings
2.  use MLS head gaskets (Cometic or Felpro)
3.  Can you slip in a thin aftercooler? Can you make one?
4.  Consider selling your 210 heads and get 227 heads. The blower will put out much more mass than the NA combination and the needs to be able to no stack up in the manifold. You will have plenty of torque, so no worries there.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
37 years ago I used water injection. Very crude set up. Sealed can, pressurized from the intake manifold. Pushed water into the air inlet. More boost, more water. Worked great. Not saying there isn't a better way. But it's a good way. Cheap. Easy. space efficient. I used potable water filter housings from a 727 of something. But there are plenty of usable housings out there.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 09:50:37 PM »
Nathan, Richfox:

I did not know water injection was legal for gas. I will look into it. Thank you both.

Rev. thanks for the information. I will look into the 227 runner heads. I will keep the 210s they work well with the tunnel ram set up and it may inspire another project down the road.

Thanks,

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
Straight water only. They will seal the tank.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:15:28 AM »
Bill, there's an old book called "Super Power" that covered turbo, supercharging, Nitrous and fuel injection.
It was published in 1977 by SA Design.
If you have access to the book on page 123 there's a piece about water injection you might find helpful.

If you don't have it let me know and I'll get the page scanned and email it to you.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
Bill, there's an old book called "Super Power" that covered turbo, supercharging, Nitrous and fuel injection.
It was published in 1977 by SA Design.
If you have access to the book on page 123 there's a piece about water injection you might find helpful.

If you don't have it let me know and I'll get the page scanned and email it to you.

Mike if you could scan that page to me that would be great. No big hurry I am gathering parts right now.

Thanks,

Bill

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM