Author Topic: Can a street legal dual purpose bike run a production class ?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline mtkawboy

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can a street legal enduro type bike run a production class and if so can you change to pure  {non multi purpose} street tires to get the legal speed rating on them ? Maybe I missed it but the rule book isn't too clear on it or I cant find it.

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
Re: Can a street legal dual purpose bike run a production class ?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
In the SCTA;

If it is produced as a "Street Legal" Motorcycle, like the many Dual Sport models all the major manufacturers produce, let's say a Honda XR650L, it would be legal for the Production class. If it is a Honda CRF450X that has a light kit installed and has been licensed, as can be done in some states; no, it would not be a legal Production class bike.

Yes, a tire change would be legal as well. A wheel change could even be legal if there are no tires available for the speeds expected to run.

If you are intending to run this type of bike, be sure to contact the SCTA Motorcycle Technical guys listed in the Rule Book and let them verify that this is accurate information.

JW
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:47:19 PM »
The tires do not need to be original manufacturer for AMA, as best as I can tell.  A pair of Continental TKC 70's will be rated for 150 mph and they are decent dual sport tires so you will not need to change them after you are done.   

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
Just thinking & trying to find a competitive combo right now. Thanks for the help