Author Topic: Fuel shut off help  (Read 5578 times)

Offline dresda

Fuel shut off help
« on: July 04, 2015, 08:40:03 PM »
So I'm running a 55 Triumph on Methanol and Have to shut off the fuel without my hands leaving the bars, don't have any electrics on the bike just magneto, any idea's I know it sounds simple but after a year and a half of building the bike from nothing my brain has gone to mush.
Ray.

Jessechop

Re: Fuel shut off help
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:54 PM »
Pingel makes a cable operated pet cock, I believe in the guzzler line

Offline salt27

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:22:48 PM »
If you order a Pingle Guzzler, Make sure and specify that it is for use with methanol.

Also they can be ordered with a variety of inlets and outlets.

Offline dresda

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 10:26:30 PM »
When I was looking for a fuel valve I looked at Pingle, have to take another look, so is it cable operated to a lever on the bar, like spring loaded?

Jessechop

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 11:10:37 PM »
When I was looking for a fuel valve I looked at Pingle, have to take another look, so is it cable operated to a lever on the bar, like spring loaded?

Yes, they call it a remote. I think all guzzlers have the hole for the cable. I will look at mine tomorrow

Jessechop

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »
The Pingle Guzzlers were first used on carbureted Fuel Harleys when it became a rule to have shut offs on the handlebars. They can be ordered with different types of connections on both sides since they all have the four bolt pattern to them. Tell them what you are using it for and they will set it up. They are not cheap but are very good quality. I've used many of them through the years on dragstrip Fuelers.

Regards

Tom

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 12:02:09 AM »
They pass quite a lot of fuel.  It is a good idea to check the tank breather and make sure it lets air into the tank as fast as the Pingel lets the fuel flow out.  My bike needed a new and larger breather after I installed the guzzler.

Offline dresda

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 11:41:50 PM »
I can't find a Pingle cable operated fuel shut off on the web site.

Offline salt27

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 12:59:09 AM »
I can't find a Pingle cable operated fuel shut off on the web site.

Click on Guzzler then it will list the "remote" option.
I just tried it.

Don

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 01:01:06 AM »
http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/guzzler-fuel-valves.asp

you are looking for a remote....
they also have electric operated valves
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 12:48:48 AM »
My fuel supplier gave me this advice for supporting 100 with oxygenated gasoline on my Triumph. 1) Make sure the flow is adequate with the tank near empty.  The flow rate will drop along with the fuel level.  2)  Make sure the outflow rate does not decrease due to a restrictive tank breather.  This is not always readily apparent.  Let a gallon or more flow out and check the outflow rate.  3)  Check the flow with the carb floats dropped 1/4 inch.  4) A flow rate of 50 lbs per hour (8.06) gals per hour is the minimum.

The Pingel guzzler flowed plenty of fuel at all tank levels.  The long term flow rate (after a gallon flowed out) dropped with the standard gas cap and two different rollover valves.  It was obvious that I needed a better breather.  What I did was to install a 5/16 diameter hose to the gas cap for a vent.  The hose connects to a second Pingel guzzler valve.  Both valves are shut except when I am running.  Just before starting the engine I open both valves and make the run.  The tank outlet valve is shut by a tug on the tether.  The tank vent valve can be set up the same way.  I have not done this yet.

Too much volatiles are lost from the fuel if I leave the bike is standing and the pingel breather open.  I shut the pingel breather valve to keep the volatiles in the tank.  A second breather with a conventional rollover/vent valve is used as an auxillary tank vent.  It is much better at keeping the volatiles in the tank while providing venting.

This is a complicated system and it has worked good for both highly oxygenated gasoline and the gasoline/nitropropane/toluene mix I run now.  The flow rates for methanol will be more than the value in 4).  It is of vital importace to make sure the flow rates are adequate.

Offline Bookfla

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 07:09:50 AM »
My fuel supplier gave me this advice for supporting 100 with oxygenated gasoline on my Triumph. 1) Make sure the flow is adequate with the tank near empty.  The flow rate will drop along with the fuel level.  2)  Make sure the outflow rate does not decrease due to a restrictive tank breather.  This is not always readily apparent.  Let a gallon or more flow out and check the outflow rate.  3)  Check the flow with the carb floats dropped 1/4 inch.  4) A flow rate of 50 lbs per hour (8.06) gals per hour is the minimum.

The Pingel guzzler flowed plenty of fuel at all tank levels.  The long term flow rate (after a gallon flowed out) dropped with the standard gas cap and two different rollover valves.  It was obvious that I needed a better breather.  What I did was to install a 5/16 diameter hose to the gas cap for a vent.  The hose connects to a second Pingel guzzler valve.  Both valves are shut except when I am running.  Just before starting the engine I open both valves and make the run.  The tank outlet valve is shut by a tug on the tether.  The tank vent valve can be set up the same way.  I have not done this yet.

Too much volatiles are lost from the fuel if I leave the bike is standing and the pingel breather open.  I shut the pingel breather valve to keep the volatiles in the tank.  A second breather with a conventional rollover/vent valve is used as an auxillary tank vent.  It is much better at keeping the volatiles in the tank while providing venting.

This is a complicated system and it has worked good for both highly oxygenated gasoline and the gasoline/nitropropane/toluene mix I run now.  The flow rates for methanol will be more than the value in 4).  It is of vital importace to make sure the flow rates are adequate.

A lot of good advise on flow rates and venting. Fuel class is the same in all LSR racing venues so you don't have to worry about sealing the tank during inspection. Another item to look at is gravity and placement of the tank in relationship to the system it is feeding. With Nitro we used to mount the tanks in front of the fork trees (mounted to the frame so it was stationary) to gain the maximum effect of gravity. Methanol doesn't flow as much GPM as Nitro but it is still very important to look at the layout of the system as a whole.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 02:13:38 PM »
The advice 1) through 4) came from Rick G. at ERC. He is a great help.  It would be worth asking him if he brings methanol to the salt for the race.

Offline dresda

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »
Running Methanol and using 7/16" hoses and no float bowl 1 3/4" SU carb and 5/16" vent tube.
Thanks for the info.