Author Topic: Flags for 4th of July 2015  (Read 6679 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Flags for 4th of July 2015
« on: June 28, 2015, 12:26:57 PM »
With the nation's birthday anniversary coming up in a week or so -- how about if we take some photos of the flag as you find it around your town?  Just for the coolness of seeing the displays that are put up here and there.  For youse guys in Canada -- your national day - Canada Day - is this coming Wednesday so you're welcome to show us what you'll see, too.

I'll start the ball rolling with some shots of the public park in front of the local American Legion post.  We (Kudos Laser) have been a part of this display since Pete, the Legionnaire that started the concept here, gave us a chance to engrave the name on each of the flagpoles.  The flag is "bought" by the family or the veteran or whatever.  Most of the proceeds go to the Legion post, but there are costs, of course - the PVC, the flag itself, and us doing the engraving.  We charge a token fee - but while I would be happy to donate, now that we've reached over 115 flags - it gets expensive for all of the materials.  Nonetheless -- here's Marquette's great way to not just display flags but to honor people that are important to the community.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: Flags for 4th of July 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:32:45 AM »
Mentor and friend
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 02:56:45 AM »
my apartment door this morning
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »
For Matt, Grampa Hank, Grampa Joe, Gramma Carmen, and the countless others who have chosen to serve . . . . . . . . .

Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 09:11:37 AM »
John

Offline Texican

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 09:24:47 AM »
   As on every Holiday; we post Old Glory, and the MIA-POW flag at dawn.
            Jim

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 09:25:13 AM »
Had a nice little thundershower come through last night smelled so good this AM

NEW out of the box on the halyard for the first time

first time up

We will use the old one for windy and inclement days until it needs to be retired with a proper ceremony!

I honor all who have served and all who are becoming involved---working to PRESERVE what they served for--the RIGHT of SELF GOVERNANCE!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »
Happy 4th July to all my American friends.

You guys are the best people I know.
God Bless you and your families on this special day.

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!!!. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 01:55:14 PM »
It's a work day for me - but I find it genuinely gratifying operating sound and working production for events on the 4th.

This morning, the City of Brookfield parade -

It took the cooperation and persuasion of a two-star General to make this happen, but the parade included a rocket launcher that had served in Afghanistan - brought to you by the Wisconsin National Guard - the best in the business -

Because of the numerous local and community fireworks displays around Milwaukee, we do our "big bang"on the 3rd.  Yesterday afternoon, part of the flotilla of ordnance came down the Milwaukee River to head out beyond the breakwater in Lake Michigan.

I've been told they can hear them in Muskegan, Michigan.

A happy 4th, folks.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 03:06:22 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2015, 04:29:54 PM »
Sparky, I assume you know this -- but just in case, and for folks that don't know -- Take your no-longer- good flags to your local American Legion post (or one of the other military "clubs") for disposal.  Ours has a flag burning ceremony at least once a year, and that's when the flags are put out of service, permanently, with the proper respect.

We make the flag name tags for the big display in downtown Marquette - and today, while in the Marquette parade, I got the pleasure of seeing all 114 of them on display.  Sure is cool to know there are that many people in our little community that are willing to help the Legion buy "buying" a flag to honor someone.  The flag display is posted a few posts back from here.

Two parades down, next are two bands - one blues, one party rock, and fireworks around 10 - 10.30 PM.  It gets dark really late up here in the far north.  Have a safe rest of the day, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »

yeppers on the legion Posts  as well as boy scout troops

SSS  what a great story about the ones that help honor your fallen

Saw a program last night about  a decommission ceremony in which each stripe is removed and burned one by one and the Star field is burned intact

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 06:59:07 AM »

Saw a program last night about  a decommission ceremony in which each stripe is removed and burned one by one and the Star field is burned intact

That is the way it is supposed to be done.    With Honor and Respect . . . . . .
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 10:05:47 AM »
Something else we are not taught:

The meaning of the Pledge

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America

and to the Republic for which it stands

it represents us "We the People" we are the REPUBLIC
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 10:12:09 AM by SPARKY »