Author Topic: Speed Demon 2015.  (Read 19025 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Speed Demon 2015.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 01:49:23 AM »
Campbell's record was 403. But I'm sure you knew that.  :lol:

And the FIA has re-written history so that Campbell still holds the Class 9 record and Don Vesco the Class 4 record in the turbine category. You can't out-pedant a pedant!  :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »

And the FIA has re-written history so that :cheers:

No one in the car world rewrites history or throws away records. The FIA decided that there should be as many divisions in the classes divided by weight (which includes electric, turbine, steam), as there are in the combustion cubic capacity classes. In doing this, because Don Vesco and Donald Campbell ran to different vehicle weights, both record speeds rightly appear on the current list*.

Last time I took maths 458 was greater than 403 so the achievements of Don V have not been altered either (mile and kilo).

The USA have annexed all of the Category A classes which have records over 400 mph (except that heavy turbine). That's A = wheeldriven vehicles.

[* - "a record can only be broken by a car running in the same class".]   
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 08:09:15 AM »
The FIA decided that there should be as many divisions in the classes divided by weight (which includes electric, turbine, steam), as there are in the combustion cubic capacity classes.

Classes of racing evolve over time, that's just the way it is.    Back in the 1920's, who would have anticipated rocket propelled vehicles?    It is generally accepted that weight and displacement breaks for various classes creates an "equitable" competition situation.    Shouldn't it be the same for all categories?

Just my 2 cents.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 08:19:13 AM »
The FIA decided that there should be as many divisions in the classes divided by weight (which includes electric, turbine, steam), as there are in the combustion cubic capacity classes.

Classes of racing evolve over time, that's just the way it is.    Back in the 1920's, who would have anticipated rocket propelled vehicles?    It is generally accepted that weight and displacement breaks for various classes creates an "equitable" competition situation.    Shouldn't it be the same for all categories?

Just my 2 cents.
 :cheers:
Fordboy

Now, if the 1 hour turnaround would just evolve.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 02:21:37 PM »
Now, if the 1 hour turnaround would just evolve.  :cheers: Wayno

The one hour applies to all classes, including the thrust powered using 'complex' rocket technology. It is an amount of time which can keep the course and weather conditions consistent - well much of the attempt time :roll:.

It makes designers and builders create cars which have to be serviceable (and probably reliable too).  What length of time would the US propose?

The bikers under FIM have 2 hours but there are strict limitations as to what can be done to any machine.

Do we "evolve" to follow the UIM boaters who have 20 minutes, unless they are thrust powered? :-D

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 03:25:09 PM »
Malcolm, the 2 hour limit as used by FIM seems reasonable. Why have it different than 100 years ago? The speeds are considerably higher. As a consequence, it takes a lot longer to stop for one thing. I can imagine there are a few more things to check between passes on a 500 MPH car than an 80 MPH car.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »

And the FIA has re-written history so that :cheers:

No one in the car world rewrites history or throws away records. The FIA decided that there should be as many divisions in the classes divided by weight (which includes electric, turbine, steam), as there are in the combustion cubic capacity classes. In doing this, because Don Vesco and Donald Campbell ran to different vehicle weights, both record speeds rightly appear on the current list*.

Last time I took maths 458 was greater than 403 so the achievements of Don V have not been altered either (mile and kilo).

The USA have annexed all of the Category A classes which have records over 400 mph (except that heavy turbine). That's A = wheeldriven vehicles.

My understanding is that in 2001 Don Vesco was running in the same class as Donald Campbell and therefore he broke Campbell's record. Campbell's speed ceased to be a "current record". Then in 2013 the number of weight classes was increased, with the effect that Campbell once more became a current record holder.

That's what I call "re-writing history", but there may be a more precise term ("re-interpreting historical events" perhaps). It also has several side-effects that seem nonsensical to the uninitiated, e.g. there are FIA classes with no record holder (and no mimimum) so if I find the time and money I could claim several official records at 5 mph using a milk float carrying lumps of lead; hypothetically someone could have run a turbine of the same weight as Bluebird at 410 mph at some time between 2002 and 2012 but this would not have been acknowledged as a record at the time so would not be a current record.

:dhorse:  :dhorse:  :dhorse:

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 06:56:51 PM »
Malcolm, the 2 hour limit as used by FIM seems reasonable. Why have it different than 100 years ago? The speeds are considerably higher. As a consequence, it takes a lot longer to stop for one thing. I can imagine there are a few more things to check between passes on a 500 MPH car than an 80 MPH car.  :cheers: Wayno

The turnaround time for cars (AIACR) has been half an hour in the past so there is precedent for changing it.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:31 PM »
Because someone has done it doesn't automatically make it a good idea.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
Has anybody heard if they are still on pace to make it to Speed Week this year?   and will they be ready for hard passes? or just shakedown runs?

Me and my kid wanna see it go 500!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2015, 09:16:39 PM »
Flipper, I'd say a whole big bunch of people want to see the car go 500.  For what should be the latest information - though I won't guarantee it - go to the Speeddemon.us website and see what you find there.

As for going 500 at SpeedWeek -- I don't think I'd bet the ranch on it.  After all -- it is a brand-new car and therefore might need a few extra runs to figure out how to get it to 500.  We all know how Ron and George like to drive in from California - and be ready to run right off the trailer, flat out, so to speak.  But again -- it's brand new.  Yes, Danny Thompson ran a bit over 400 on the fourth run on his car, and that's dang good for a new car.  Can George drive the Speed Demon II that fast this August?  I guess we'll all find out be the time SpeedWeek is done for the year.  How's that for being truthful?  :cheers: See you on the salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2015, 09:30:35 PM »
Danny went to the test and tune to shake the car down. Didn't push it. Simply proved the concept. Did everything just right it seems.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
Thanks for that reminder, Rich.  I wasn't at the T&T and even though I knew Danny had been there -- I forgot.  Damn CRS! :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RCKirby

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:52 PM »
Just happened to be at the starting line at the Test and Tune.  I believe this was the very first shake down run for Danny.

https://youtu.be/9cuAIeHSNwc

RCKirby

Offline tauruck

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2015, 08:40:54 PM »
Thanks for that reminder, Rich.  I wasn't at the T&T and even though I knew Danny had been there -- I forgot.  Dodge CRS! :-D

I thought it was CRAFT???? :-D :-D :-D :-D