Author Topic: cubic capacity question  (Read 3616 times)

Offline hawkwind

cubic capacity question
« on: September 01, 2006, 07:14:30 PM »
G'day all ,Question, is it possible for a bike to run AND set a record in a higher capacity class , ie a 250cc to run in the 500cc class I read the rules as not allowing a larger capacity bike to run and set a record in a lower capacity class ,needing some clarification on this point from someone wiser than myself
Thanks
Gary
slower than most

Offline Elmo Rodge

cubic capacity question
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 10:25:43 PM »
Nope. Can't move up or down. I can't quote rhyme and verse offhand but, nope. Wayno

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: cubic capacity question
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 10:41:08 PM »
Quote from: hawkwind
G'day all ,Question, is it possible for a bike to run AND set a record in a higher capacity class , ie a 250cc to run in the 500cc class I read the rules as not allowing a larger capacity bike to run and set a record in a lower capacity class ,needing some clarification on this point from someone wiser than myself
Thanks
Gary

Gary,

Only at Maxton can that be done and even the powers that be have recently made a few changes regarding racing an open bike in a liner? class.

At Bonneville and El Mirage a 1350cc class bike must be between 1001-1350cc and a 1650 cc class bike must be between 1351 and 1650cc ect..this is not including rules regarding flat heads and vintage class bikes which may be allowed a slight oversize....for reconditioning..that's the reason while in Australia I entered the 1350cc class as my bike was only 1299cc.

Any other questions post away, Gary and show your latest250 mph Methanol, nitrous injected, huge turboed creation you are working on..

J :shock:

Offline hawkwind

cubic capacity question
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 12:33:04 AM »
Reason I asked is ,Iv'e recieved an enquiry from New Zealands champion female road racer, who asked if she could run her TZ250 road race bike at Lake Gairdner in 07 and would like to run it in some higher capacity classes as well as the 250 class , 7.B.13 is the only rule that I can see that defines capacity classes ,but in my opinion its as clear as mud and could be interpreted several ways and really does not say either way , I will let her know that for larger capacities she can run T.O.,

John ,Im surprized you would be interested in my home made peice of junk  :wink:  :D
Gary
slower than most

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
AS BEFORE
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 12:51:08 AM »
Before the confusion presented by the overbore allowance the rules said
 "The engine must be between the upper and lower class limit".
Confusion prevailed and continues. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
cubic capacity question
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 02:46:29 AM »
Aussie mud must be really thick stuff.  Rule 7.B.13 First sentence.  "Displacement must be greater than the maximum allowable for next lower class."  That seems to be pretty clear.  The .020 overbore allowance doesn't move you up to the next class as the rule states "In all cases the resulting displacement must be exceeded in order to qualify for the next higher class."  Not a lot of wiggle room there to get a 250 into the 500 class.  You could try a large bribe.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
EXCEPT
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 06:02:22 AM »
Guthrie did it and has repeatedly shown the hole in the rule that is unique to SCTA
 bikes and not allowed in the cars for example.
Why do you suppose that is ?
Even a bike engine in a car for example has different displacement rules for the same
 reasons and application of the same  logic. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
SIMPLE HUH ?
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 07:23:19 AM »
If you knew the back ground, you would understand where the rule came from but
 not the logic applied because there is none except for a small target.
Scott did all his without the handicap of the ruling.
The car guys point to it as a fall down funny.
The .020 means something different to every size motor and number of cylinders.
It is that kind of stuff that hurts the credibility of the program.
Don't do it! :wink:

dwarner

cubic capacity question
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2006, 11:34:11 AM »
I looked at 7.B.13 and the two sentences pointed out by Nortonist592 seem pretty clear to me. Can't do it.

Of course, this applies to SCTA-BNI sanctioned events only and your results may vary. Lake Garnier(sp?) records are not listed in the SCTA-BNI record listings, see Maxton for example.

It's your race, use regulations as you see fit for your situation.

DW