Author Topic: Toter Home on the salt  (Read 5243 times)

Offline joepig

• New folks
Toter Home on the salt
« on: June 22, 2015, 05:00:54 PM »
Coming out for the 1st time this year and bringing my toterhome, trailer and BGC. I've heard "NO overnight camping on the salt" and I've heard "you can stay in your RV, just no cooking out, hell raising, etc.". So what's the real skinny ??? Can you stay out there or not ??? Also I remember seeing the Coddington fiasco when he stuck that thing of his and all it took to get it out. Please tell me the pit areas and roadways in and out are NOT subject to punching through like they did ??? I was told they took it somewhere they weren't suppose to be. Thanks. :?

Offline BobDcuda

Re: Toter Home on the salt
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:53:25 PM »
Take a look at the SpeedWeek 2015 thread here, message titled "Newb in need of some advice" where this same question is discussed. Good luck, hope you have a fun trip!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »
You mean this doesn't seem like fun?  (And expensive.)

I can't say it won't happen to you, but it really helps if you can follow a cone line and other instructions rather than know better than those there that have been there forever.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:14:43 PM »
This one didn't post . . .
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »
. . . and this one.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 07:58:19 PM »
I haven't seen an answer to your question, and in case you don't go back to see what's been said on that other topic:

You CANNOT camp on the salt flats where we race/pit/register/etc.  There's only one access point - "Land's End" - and it is secure 24 hours a day.  But once you're off the salt per se -- you can camp nearly anyplace you might want to drop anchor.  At "the bend in the road" - which, you'll find, is aptly yclept, there are hundreds of acres of open land available for camping.  No facilities other than some porta potties and garbage rolloffs.  And lots of people and fun and noise and sometimes even (gasp!) fireworks although the BLM bans them.  Don't get there and just move into a place without asking others first.  Not that they'll object or have saved spaces, but if you haven't been there you won't know what parts are likely to turn to gumbo in the rain and you won't know about the rampaging mosquitoes that live in the drainage ditch.  There are a couple of commercial campgrounds in town, but chances are good that they'll be full.  You'll find water available at some of the fuel stations and there's free dumping of your waste water at the parking lot of the (to be built) Bonneville Museum.  Groceries, restaurants, gambling, and bench racing are all available.

Does that help?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joepig

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »
Thanks for all the input. We have rooms so we'll stay in town and leave the rig and trailer in the pits. Sure hoping the salt dries out, but nobody can control "Mother Nature".